Alexan Heights: Multifamily At 655 Yale St.

s3mh

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

well this was an interesting thread to read lol. y'all really like to compare apples to oranges on this one. Just going to leave a few points and then slowly walk away xD

1. Nice pics :)

2. Houston may have lots of people, but a majority of the city is the density of a small to mid size town. Now were we do have density....its pretty freakin dense, but suburbia isn't really the hallmark for "density".

3. Portland has certainly done quite a lot to help make it a better city (which wasn't easy at all. lots of push back from people adding new transit to the area). it has the luxury of acting like a large city within a manageable size. Houston is ridiculous large with expansive city limits. Trying to keep up with infrastructure in this town will always be a losing battle, but we aren't ramping up the investment in it to keep pace with growth. Houston is going to end up having the types of infrastructure problems like cities in Europe had in the mid to late 19th century where governments were very reluctant to invest in infrastructure and very conservative when it came to money. Its going to have to get worse before people in this town take the burden as a whole on their shoulders and demand more of the local gov. (with money in hand) to fix the problems or we will figure out a way for private biz to fix the problem who knows. Houstonians don't really know yet what sacrifices have to be made to live in a big city (little to no parking, contributing more taxes to help found capital improvements, diversity in transporation, walking places, localization).

4. I don't know what some people are smoking to think we are "running out of cheap land", but its freakin everywhere!. We are building a third loop for crying out loud lol. Its like a race right now to who spreads the fastest xD. West gunning for Brookshire while northwest gunning for Waller. Its true what some people have said for a reason for cheap land is that there is no restrictions on the size of the metro area, but there are so much more. The lack of zoning is a major component. Another is geology. The ground underneath most of this city is fairly useless as its nothing but craptastic clay with a high water table under it making the only thing we could ever do with this land is....you guessed it build on it!

Houston has the greatest potential out of most cities not only in the state but in the nation to really become a top tier international city......its just going to take a lot of bootstrappin, optimism, actual urban planning (blasphemy!) and 20-30 more years xD.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great perspective! Can't imagine how the lone homeowner can hold out and always wondered what the parameters of the electromagnetic field covers. Those are some mighty transformers.

I think it is great that the one homeowner did not sell. At the end of the day this adds character, and somewhat maintains a residential, single family fabric / history of the neighborhood.

I think it is great that the one homeowner did not sell. At the end of the day this adds character, and somewhat maintains a residential, single family fabric / history of the neighborhood.

I've seen this a lot, lately. IMO - a very sad photo.

lol I see those but I don't know why you think it will be demolished soon because of those columns...? Just wondering.

A developer wouldn't waste money on a tract that small to make a little bit more room. Houston developers have no reason to make awkward angled structures, we have an excess of space to build upon. The columns line up with the ones on the other side of the property. I'd bet the homeowner is holding out for more money in court. 

Besides, the apartment would have to rent out the units facing the home for a much cheaper price. No one wants to look out onto a nice view of some overgrown trees and some dude barbecuing. On the other hand some of those renters will be looking out their window at a beautiful power station so who knows? I just don't see the developer putting in the effort to develop that minuscule piece of property if they weren't going to tear down the other lot

A developer wouldn't waste money on a tract that small to make a little bit more room. Houston developers have no reason to make awkward angled structures, we have an excess of space to build upon. The columns line up with the ones on the other side of the property. I'd bet the homeowner is holding out for more money in court. 

Besides, the apartment would have to rent out the units facing the home for a much cheaper price. No one wants to look out onto a nice view of some overgrown trees and some dude barbecuing. On the other hand some of those renters will be looking out their window at a beautiful power station so who knows? I just don't see the developer putting in the effort to develop that minuscule piece of property if they weren't going to tear down the other lot

All the plans I've seen have them building on 3 sides of the holdout properties (there are two: one house, and one vacant lot). The existence of those columns shouldn't lead anyone to conclude the holdouts will be removed.

All the plans I've seen have them building on 3 sides of the holdout properties (there are two: one house, and one vacant lot). The existence of those columns shouldn't lead anyone to conclude the holdouts will be removed.

By most developers' definition, the prevalence of the single family home will make this a "mixed use" development.

New street under construction by Alexan

14461707668_f1e987b8c8_h.jpg

2014-07-13 19.05.20 by marclongoria, on Flickr

14461701939_6e636dbb62_h.jpg

2014-07-13 19.05.26 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Another new street by Alexan

14646126074_c1286db6e3_h.jpg

2014-07-13 19.06.44 by marclongoria, on Flickr

14648320005_771703fbcc_h.jpg

2014-07-13 19.07.36 by marclongoria, on Flickr

14668230223_83dec46b89_h.jpg

2014-07-13 19.07.45 by marclongoria, on Flickr

New sidewalk as well

14461707709_c70a0f5c9f_h.jpg

2014-07-13 19.08.38 by marclongoria, on Flickr

And new homes across the street

14461909387_c0e3b3d717_h.jpg

2014-07-13 19.08.44 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Wow! I'm really digging those houses in the last picture!

New street under construction by Alexan

14461707668_f1e987b8c8_h.jpg

2014-07-13 19.05.20 by marclongoria, on Flickr

14461701939_6e636dbb62_h.jpg

2014-07-13 19.05.26 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Another new street by Alexan

14646126074_c1286db6e3_h.jpg

2014-07-13 19.06.44 by marclongoria, on Flickr

14648320005_771703fbcc_h.jpg

2014-07-13 19.07.36 by marclongoria, on Flickr

14668230223_83dec46b89_h.jpg

2014-07-13 19.07.45 by marclongoria, on Flickr

New sidewalk as well

14461707709_c70a0f5c9f_h.jpg

2014-07-13 19.08.38 by marclongoria, on Flickr

And new homes across the street

14461909387_c0e3b3d717_h.jpg

2014-07-13 19.08.44 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Here's an update that was recently posted:

http://www.alexanheights.com/alexan-heights/

On October 28, 2013 Maple Multi-Family TX Contractor, L.L.C. commenced construction of a 352 Unit Apartment Complex located at 655 Yale Street, Houston TX 77007. The project completion date is scheduled for December of 2015.

As you know, there are eight existing trees along the Yale Street frontage of the property between 6th and 7th Streets. Over the years, these trees have been damaged and pruned by utility companies, and while working closely with the City of Houston’s Urban Forestry Department, we were granted permission to remove the existing trees along Yale Street. The trees to be removed will be replaced with new trees to be planted during the first quarter of 2015.

There will be a total of 18 new live oak trees planted along Yale Street, each measuring over 22’ in height. Furthermore, due to the recent burial of existing overhead utility lines and power poles along Yale Street, these trees will be able to grow naturally without encroaching upon any utility lines, as was the case with the existing trees. Weather permitting, the existing tree removal has been scheduled for July 16, 2014.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived