Sign in to follow this  
Purdueenginerd

Caroline Street Redevelopment

ChrisPHous    72

Is it really that difficult to bury the power lines? I would think being in a part of the country that has strong thunderstorms and hurricanes you would want as many buried lines as possible.

I do like what they have done on Bagby, this appears to be the same. One day all of the streets in Midtown will be like this and that is great!

Ross    578

It is extremely expensive to bury power lines, especially on existing streets. Some streets do have buried high voltage lines, there's one that runs down LaBranch, 140,000 volts, I think. When the substation at LaBranch and Tuam was connected, they had to freeze the lines to keep the insulating oil from running out while they made the tap.

lockmat    1853

Is that the HCC MasterPlan or a plan created by the Midtown district?

Edited by lockmat

Purdueenginerd    717

Did HCC ever propose mid-rise towers along San Jacinto or was this visualization just for streetscape rendering?

Those high rises caught my eye as well. I remember seeing the HCC proposal for upgrade, I dont recall any high rise construction associated with it.

brian0123    358

Yes, HCC has mentioned one tower in the past. I went to a community meeting they had (maybe two years ago) and they said they were hoping to one day have a tower across the street with something like a big Barnes and Noble on the bottom.

lockmat    1853

Wow, I didn't notice all those. Do we know if they even own those lots yet?

TGM    122

So Caroline is the Champs-Élysées and the San Jacinto building is the Arc de Triomphe?

Someone needs to tell the Caroline street drug dealers to start hawking souvenirs and offering to take your photo.

Urban planners always swing for the fences, but they might get close on this one given the complete lack of anything on this street.

Edited by TGM

phillip_white    778

Has anyone heard anything about this lately?  The Midtown TRIZ budget shows construction starting soon and there have been utility workers marking sidewalks with paint.  Wasn't sure if it was coincidence or if the ball will finally start rolling.

phillip_white    778

It looks like I've answered my own question:

Construction on the Caroline Street project is scheduled to start in December 2014.

Got some renderings as well:

edit: JPEGS looks like crap, see original PDF here

Edited by phillip_white
  • Like 3

mollusk    1437

M e h.  Not enough Audis.

• Like 1

kdog08    171

Midtown TIRZ FTW! Makes Montrose TIRZ looks like a pile of incomptent/corrupt crap. 

phillip_white    778

From what I can tell, this project is very similar to the Bagby redesign (new sidewalks/landscaping, rain gardens, and bike lanes).  I think the goal is spur development on the southern side of Main, since it's definitely lacking at this point.

DrLan34    1673

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bellaire/news/article/Work-on-third-Midtown-park-set-for-finish-in-the-5684171.php

"...In addition to green space improvements, the district reported on upcoming construction work slated for Caroline Street. The Midtown Redevelopment Authority is funding the $9 million project with help from a $4 million Texas Department of Transportation grant.

The work will include complete roadway reconstruction with new concrete pavement and public utility upgrades along Caroline from Pierce to Holman streets. There will also be sidewalk improvements including new landscaping and a designated bike lane.

Large, an avid cyclist, said the proposed bike path will be marked with green paint and will be the first such bike route in Houston.

Marshall said the project is set to be put out for bid in December or January with construction to follow later next year."

Edited by DrLan34

phillip_white    778

Thanks for the update. It looks like the construction start date is still moving to the right.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bellaire/news/article/Work-on-third-Midtown-park-set-for-finish-in-the-5684171.php

"...In addition to green space improvements, the district reported on upcoming construction work slated for Caroline Street. The Midtown Redevelopment Authority is funding the $9 million project with help from a $4 million Texas Department of Transportation grant.

The work will include complete roadway reconstruction with new concrete pavement and public utility upgrades along Caroline from Pierce to Holman streets. There will also be sidewalk improvements including new landscaping and a designated bike lane.

Large, an avid cyclist, said the proposed bike path will be marked with green paint and will be the first such bike route in Houston.

Marshall said the project is set to be put out for bid in December or January with construction to follow later next year."

houparent    7

Saw this yesterday fyi -

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/ranch/news/transportation-commissioners-approve-roadway-improvements-in-greater-houston-area/article_cc9ecc8d-7d0e-54bf-9349-767728808ad1.html

TRANSPORTATION COMMISSIONERS APPROVE ROADWAY IMPROVEMENTS IN GREATER HOUSTON AREA

Roadway improvements, enhancement projects and a bridge replacement were among the construction projects recently approved at last month’s Texas Transportation Commission meeting. ….. Additionally, a joint project with the Midtown Management District to reconstruct Caroline Street from Holman to Pierce Street in the midtown section of Houston was awarded. The pavement on the existing street is in poor condition, and the project will reconstruct the entire street replacing the old pavement with new concrete pavement. The project will also provide new amenities such as wider sidewalks, landscaping, upgraded drainage, decorative lighting and a “rain garden” filtration system.

Luminare    1430

The bridge replacement I believe is the one on Yale that's been discussed for awhile.

As for Caroline Street, I'm glad they finally have been given the green light. This area is changing so fast it's amazing.

BigFootsSocks    2720

I didn't want to start a new thread for this but what's going on at Sheppard? They have down to one lane in each direction and a few weeks ago I saw them burying massive, like 8ft diameter sanitary/waste water piping in. Is the first of the Rebuild Houston campaigns work??