Office Tower At 1111 Travis St.

burgower4

Pretty cool, thanks for sharing.  These are views that hadn't been available for over 60 years.  Cool perspective that *hopefully* won't be around for too long.

That's definitely the odd part. As close to the lot line as the building was, it blocked out a lot of the view any time you were near it. Being able to see what is on the other side messes with the part of your brain that was used to the way things looked from a certain familiar location.

Whither the tunnels underneath the building? Will they remain closed until the new complex opens?

Presumably so. The only tunnels that went to the building were basically dead ends. There was apparently one from the "Foley's Garage" and one from 1000 Main, but they did not connect through to anything else.

I was kind of curious how they secured/reincorced the passages during the implosion. I'm guessing that 1000 Main had one of the big steel storm doors that sealed it off, most buildings got those after Allison, but somewhere under the old site is a pile of rubble leading to that cutoff point.

It will be interesting to see what the hole looks like once they get the debris all cleared out.

That area of downtown has the very specific smell of old building innards suddenly exposed. I remember it from the WTC site when I visited in December of '01.

Edited by Nate99

That area of downtown has the very specific smell of old building innards suddenly exposed. I remember it from the WTC site when I visited in December of '01.

YES!  You hit the nail on the head!  I thought to myself as I walked past:  "The corner of Lamar and Travis now smells like my grandma's house. . ."

the hole will be huge. Since the 140 ish feet high building collapsed into a pile of rubble that is about 15' high above ground, there has to be at least 30' of rubble below ground.

after all, there was a fallout shelter big enough for 30000 people under there (I think it was an exaggeration, but even cramming 5,000 people into that block probably required a huge area)

• 3 weeks later...

Any else find this a bit odd? The office tower that's said to be 23-stories has not been mention in this office development report below, or any recent development/,market reports...and it's expected to be complete by Dec. 2015, which means construction should start soon..

http://www.avisonyoung.com/sites/default/files/market-intelligence/3Q13%20Houston%20Office%20Development%20Update.pdf

On this update that Urbanizer posted on another thread this isn't even listed.  I can't help but wonder how real any project here is. 

http://www.avisonyoung.com/sites/default/files/market-intelligence/3Q13%20Houston%20Office%20Development%20Update.pdf

Not surprising. Houston loves to tear down, with or without a realistic plan going forward. Astroworld comes to mind.

Are we really saying that a company is going to invest quite a bit of money not to build some type of development? Now usually during busts, they tear down buildings and don't build anything. We are definitely not in a bust phase....

Maybe it's not listed because it's more than an office tower? Idk, it has not been mentioned in any other recent office market reports and I can't find any other information, and construction is expected to begin soon. I wonder why a developer & company would invest in this large site in the center of downtown, for just "23-stories"..has to be something more than that.. We've heard this may be the site for the rumored super-tall. It's not like Hilcorp can create a campus feel either, Total Plaza (the building they occupy currently) is a few blocks away. There's also a parking lot next to Total Plaza as an option for a 23-story office tower. They're so hush hush on this one, seems very odd to me..  :wacko:

Edited by Urbannizer
  • Like 1

I will bet they've changed plans from office building to something else?  Perhaps they are going a different route and will build a mixed use residential tower with hotel component and quite a bit of retail?  Since I believe the city is offering incentives for hotels, and perhaps now they are also offering for retail.  Or, maybe they will do a smattering of all three+retail?

I seriously doubt we will see a super tall constructed in this town.  Perhaps a 50 or 60 floor building (or 70 if its residential) but nothing as big as Transco will get off the ground unless our current boom continues for a few more years and the new office spaces planned generate enough interest that a few more will be warranted.

There was speculation by Urbannizer that there may be some sort of development taking place at this site other than the previously mentioned 23 floor commecial building.  That building wasn't listed in the developments list also linked earlier.

I was only saying - maybe it could go that route?  I guess I'm wrong?

• Like 1

it is interesting that nothing was mentioned but i feel like there were too many details released about this for it to not be real..? i would love to see a mixed use super tall or even just skyscraper taller than 23 stories, but like Triton said, this site is owned by Hillcorp?

• 2 weeks later...