Office Tower At 1111 Travis St.

burgower4

any news on the ground floor retail?

Fences on Main are down. Plaza work and planters formed. I spot 2 spaces fronting Main, separated by an entry area in the middle. Judging by the sizes, I'd guess restaurants or small boutique shops.

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/667050951660859392

Edit: Zoom in pic of deck park atop 1111 Travis' parking garage.

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/667059396900360192

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 7

Honestly, now that it's nearing completion, this building does nothing for me, even if that's an unpopular opinion on here. It replaced something that was still fully functional and fairly profitable with another cold, sterile looking office building. Too bad Macy's wasn't incorporated into the base of the building as was originally planned. A renovation of the existing building or a complete demo/overhaul, downsizing the store would have been ideal. Very bad move especially with all the surrounding residential developments coming in. The nearby "Retail District" plan now just appears to have been a knee jerk reaction to the loss of Macy's, since not many (if any) retailers have bitten. Without Macy's or some other large chain anchoring the area, retail confidence went rom being on life support to plummeting to zero and will probably stay as such for the near term. Woulda, shoulda, coulda, I know...oh well.

Edited by intencity77
  • Like 4

Honestly, now that it's nearing completion, this building does nothing for me, even if that's an unpopular opinion on here. It replaced something that was still fully functional and fairly profitable with another cold, sterile looking office building. Too bad Macy's wasn't incorporated into the base of the building as was originally planned. A renovation of the existing building or a complete demo/overhaul, downsizing the store would have been ideal. Very bad move especially with all the surrounding residential developments coming in. The nearby "Retail District" plan now just appears to have been a knee jerk reaction to the loss of Macy's, since not many (if any) retailers have bitten. Without Macy's or some other large chain anchoring the area, retail confidence went rom being on life support to plummeting to zero and will probably stay as such for the near term. Woulda, shoulda, coulda, I know...oh well.

The Sakowitz building is the best bet for getting a large anchor store downtown. I never liked the old Foley's building. It was nothing to me but a boring brick facade with no windows. It had zero charm. I can't say I will miss it at all. This new building has something unique for downtown, namely a skyscraper with ground floor retail. Much better than looking in on a massive empty lobby. I'm very interested to see it after all the outside landscaping is done. 

I think the retail district will be a minor success for downtown. It is a nice coincidence that this is all happening as we're adding a significant amount of residential to downtown, as this will be critical for maintaining any sort of retail presence.

• Like 6

Wow, this building topped all my expectations.

Another surprise. It appears there's been a minor design change to add a rooftop balcony. See receding section of glass along the roofline. Wasnt there in the renderings.

Edit: Don't see any railings so it may just be some kind of notch/design detail

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/674663213447933952

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/674665756915867648

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 3

Maybe they just ran out of window panes :/

This building looks amazing in person - the garage and the tower look seperate at street level because the tower is all curves while the garage has the big blocky presence of a mid-rise, but with an inviting looking entrance on main