Office Tower At 1111 Travis St.

burgower4

I believe the grassy block and the two blocks on either side of the Hilton garage are planned for a future convention center expansion.

Gensler's "4 Corners" 2025 master plan.

622x350.jpg

http://www.gensler.com/projects/the-george-r-brown-convention-center

Side note - Since Dan Nip's property (rendered here as East End CC Hotel) is now becoming City View Terrace, if a fourth CC hotel were needed, it could actually be done here as part of the expansion, or at Block 100 (owned by Houston First).

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 2

Gensler's "4 Corners" 2025 master plan.

622x350.jpg

What's the diagonally oriented building at Lamar and LaBranch just to the southwest of the park? I realize it's just a potential scenario from 2011 or so, but so many other items from the proposal seem to be based on some fact. My apologies if I missed this somewhere else.

What's the diagonally oriented building at Lamar and LaBranch just to the southwest of the park? I realize it's just a potential scenario from 2011 or so, but so many other items from the proposal seem to be based on some fact. My apologies if I missed this somewhere else.

I believe the lot you are referring to is currently just a parking lot. there were rumors several years back about a "Two Park Place" building going there, so maybe that building put in the rendering was wishful thinking, or something to do with that? I'm surprised that with all the residential activity going on in downtown, that the lot south of One Park Place doesn't even seem to be attached to any upcoming projects, at least not that I know about

Now there's even more room for a Top Golf on top of the GRB!

If you followed my top golf idea from the beginning, I referenced this 4 block GRB expansion. But it's something like 15 acres now, and top golfs are only 10 acres, including the parking lot.. So that's why I said add a public sports complex of all sorts on the southern half for the influx of new downtown residents/inner city residents since currently all there seems to be is the Root Square basketball court and what I assume is a private Racket Club at the Allen Center in downtown.

But seriously. Thats ~FIFTEEN ACRES of prime real estate that could theoretically be reinforced/developed.. Surely the city has looked ahead towards the future and started weighing their options?

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 2

^Now that would be really cool

Great idea sky-guy!

Huh? I'm not one for patting myself on the back, but I figured by now everyone knew that was my idea after having to listen to me ramble about it for so many months/years.. Obviously sky-guy didn't intend to come off as that being an original idea of his. Hence the Topgolf reference as if we all already had heard the idea.

does anyone know when the GRB expansion is supposed to be implemented? im sure its a ways off, but with the Marriott Marquis coming they will finally get that big hotel boost theyve been waiting for to bring in the bigger events, so one would think the expansion wouldnt be too far behind the new hotel?

is it possible ground floor retail is being considered along the front of GRB in the master plan? i know there is supposed to be some in the new Marriott Marquis and in the new GRB garage but other than that and One Park Place there really isnt any GFR around Discovery Green that i know of.

also, my initial motive for starting this thread... i brought it up in another thread when someone mentioned DG not being completely surrounded by tall buildings not giving it a "square" feeling.. does anyone think GRB is structurally strong enough to support any highrises built on top of it? i know they want even more hotels in the long term, besides just the Marriott Marquis, so what better place for another hotel than directly on top of the convention center? it doesnt get any more convenient then that. the convention center is already 5 blocks long. the expansion will add another 5 blocks to the site. imagine a large scale mixed use campus built on top of the GRB. it could have multiple highrises ranging from residential tower to hotel to office buildings and entertainment venues. think about it, if you count the roof space of GRB, there isnt as much potential neighboring real estate anywhere else in the downtown area. it will be over 10 city blocks after the expansion. i wish the planners of the GRB master plan had that kind of vision.

maybe an urban oasis? i know the park is right next door, but like some kind of botanical gardens or something to compliment the park.

at the very least it would be cool if they utilized some of the roof for a TopGolf. all these new downtown residents are going to need things to do besides nightlife and shopping. plus, how cool would it be to hit some golf balls in downtown?

I even drew a visual aid at one point to help campaign the idea.. Lol. (The drawing is fairly close to being drawn to scale, I believe).

FF1BCD80-D2DF-4BBC-A88F-E34A5D97857E_zps

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 5

I think it would be better if you bury 59 and lay on top of it all these recreational things.  A baseball field east of Minute Maid, then a football and soccer field along the east side of the GRB, or a mini-golf course I suppose.  Have it become a sports or recreation district.

But whatever happens, let it spark more highrise development east of 59.

For the GRB roof, make it a private park/garden to keep the foot traffic light up there.

• Like 3

I think it would be better if you bury 59 and lay on top of it all these recreational things.  A baseball field east of Minute Maid, then a football and soccer field along the east side of the GRB, or a mini-golf course I suppose.  Have it become a sports or recreation district.

But whatever happens, let it spark more highrise development east of 59.

For the GRB roof, make it a private park/garden to keep the foot traffic light up there.

i would be totally cool with that.. as for how to get people up to the roof..? what if they extended the sloped hill/parking garage entrance, up and over ADLA (with the entrance still being under the hill, coming in from openings in the sides, over ADLA), and carried it up to the edge of the GRB roof, for roof top access? if the slope of the hill has to be increased much to get to the roof they could just make a winding/zig zag path up the slope.

and wa-la! you have direct access to the GRB roof from Discovery Green, linking park to park (assuming some type of green space/botanical gardens or something gets put up there).

Discovery_Green_01_sm-597x400.jpg

16498836887_47229a3114_o.jpg

Looks like the Main side garage will have something more than just a sheer wall for the sidewalk presence.

16705066042_ede77a34b8_o.jpg

Do we have a rendering on what this is going to look like on the main st side facing the light rail?

Hate to toot my own horn but also these prior observations... FTR no wall up yet, still one continuous space. If it remains, would be around 8000 sq ft. (IIRC, originally was divided into a 6,000 sq ft and 2,000 sq ft retail spaces.

The Main St side appears to be 1 continuous space (left side in pic) stretching from Lamar to Dallas. This pic is from Lamar. Parking lot ramp is to the right, separated by a wall. ff5b4cde10d6e94f2293e418861e20f8.jpgb1adc2e40c66ae7a05874cbe02da1f0f.jpg

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 3

the more that i read and hear about this HILCORP ENERGY CO building, the weirder it gets.  why oh why, is this particular building so very hush hush?  what exactly... are they afraid of?  quite weird.....

My guess is that since they are not trying to sell any space in it, they are not terribly motivated to publicize it generally. To the extent here is a rtail component, either in the tunnels or at street level, you might hear something about that soon, but it certainly looks like they are not trying to impress anyone beforehand

• Like 4

My guess is that since they are not trying to sell any space in it, they are not terribly motivated to publicize it generally. To the extent here is a rtail component, either in the tunnels or at street level, you might hear something about that soon, but it certainly looks like they are not trying to impress anyone beforehand

i get this buddy, but if you as a company decides to construct an edifice upon one of the most heralded / hottest sites in texas, then surely you cannot expect for this construction to be hush hush.  no matter what your hidden agenda may be.  this is just so very unique / strange....

Edited by monarch

i get this buddy, but if you as a company decides to construct an edifice upon one of the most heralded / hottest sites in texas, then surely you cannot expect for this construction to be hush hush.  no matter what your hidden agenda may be.  this is just so very unique / strange....

I guess I wouldn't know if this one is intentionally hiding details or if they just have not put in any effort at all at publicity. Developers are necessarily dependent upon heavy and regimented promotion for pretty much every other comparable project.