Office Tower At 1111 Travis St.

burgower4

Can you pop down to the underground easy from the street if say a coffee shop is near by?

I can, and you can too.  It's more a matter of knowing how to get down there, and where to go once there, than anything else.  However, in the evening and at night the heat abates, so the street level isn't nearly as punishing as it can be at, say, 2 pm immediately after a brief rain (when the pavement is literally steaming).  I really think we ought have a giant statue of Willis H. Carrier somewhere around town, but even I will sit out on a downtown patio and enjoy a bevvie or three on a summertime evening. 

Back on topic - Nice pics, Nate.  

• 2 weeks later...

I drove by the site at lunchtime and I like the fact that this building with its curved corners and angles in its footprint will break up the monotony of all of the square and rectangular shapes. I know it's unpopular to some but I think the setbacks from the curb will also allow for some interesting views that were lost in the boxy Foleys building. I can't call it Macys since they were in it a relatively short time and it was built for Foleys. It's not going to show up on the west skyline but it should interact really well with scale of the buildings surrounding it including the future Alesandra. This is going to be fun to watch as it gets up there.

• Like 3

I drove by the site at lunchtime and I like the fact that this building with its curved corners and angles in its footprint will break up the monotony of all of the square and rectangular shapes. I know it's unpopular to some but I think the setbacks from the curb will also allow for some interesting views that were lost in the boxy Foleys building. I can't call it Macys since they were in it a relatively short time and it was built for Foleys. It's not going to show up on the west skyline but it should interact really well with scale of the buildings surrounding it including the future Alesandra. This is going to be fun to watch as it gets up there.

i absolutely concur bobruss!  everyone knows just how i felt.. as per what i then referred to as the (phantom menace) was first being conceptualized.. upon complete incognito fashion.  however, i cannot help but agree, that once HOTEL ALESSANDRA comes forth... this is truly going to become a special area of downtown.  nonetheless, something must now be done, as per the old sakowitz building directly across the street.  i'm praying for a dillards!

i absolutely concur bobruss! everyone knows just how i felt.. as per what i then referred to as the (phantom menace) was first being conceptualized.. upon complete incognito fashion. however, i cannot help but agree, that once HOTEL ALESSANDRA comes forth... this is truly going to become a special area of downtown. nonetheless, something must now be done, as per the old sakowitz building directly across the street. i'm praying for a dillards!

I believe there are plans to transform the old Sakowitz building into a luxurious 260,000 sqft. flagship Bloomingdale's:

Bloomingdale's Main Street

• Like 1

Bloomingdale's Main Street (Main at Dallas) is planned as one of the anchors for Mayor Parker's proposed Dallas Street Retail Corridor Project. A smaller relocated Macy's will also go up along Dallas Street, as well as a third big box anchor. All three, plus additional shops, will line Dallas Street from Main to Discovery Green. An announcement will be made after Hotel Alessandra breaks ground.

• Like 2

Bloomingdale's Main Street (Main at Dallas) is planned as one of the anchors for Mayor Parker's proposed Dallas Street Retail Corridor Project. A smaller relocated Macy's will also go up along Dallas Street, as well as a third big box anchor. All three, plus additional shops, will line Dallas Street from Main to Discovery Green. An announcement will be made after Hotel Alessandra breaks ground.

love hearing that... hopefully this pans out.

• Like 3

Yeah ...a Bloomingdales next to that ghetto-ass convenience store, where bums congregate and piss/throw up on the sidewalk? Even as huge proponent of Downtown revitalization, I'll believe it when I see it. I work next door at 1000 Main and that is one stretch of block I absolutely hate to walk. You can literally smell the piss inbetween the corner store and the Sakowitz garage. The smell is so bad, I'd rather walk in the Southbound lane of Main if I have to go to Pavilions.

http://youtu.be/LPYGSa2mHFY

However, there'll be 8000 sq ft of retail space at 1111 Travis so I can see a smaller Macy's there.

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 1

I hope this is not a joke.

I believe there are plans to transform the old Sakowitz building into a luxurious 260,000 sqft. flagship Bloomingdale's:

Bloomingdale's Main Street

wait-what.jpg

htownlive, dude.. are you trying in earnest to give me a heart attack!

look, my good pal... i am now upon my flight to austin, tx to prepare for tomorrow's gridiron matchup between TEXAS vs UNT.  therefore, all i am trying to focus upon at this moment

is my HORNS.  nonetheless, did you say bloomingdales... on main street?  OMG!  i think that i shall lose my mind!

texasauthenticriddell.jpg

I'm confused as to where these shops and box retailers will go. Will they replace the empty lots? Highly unlikely right? Here is a pic of Dallas street from main to DG, help me understand folks...

post-12904-0-01483100-1409348094_thumb.j

I'm confused as to where these shops and box retailers will go. Will they replace the empty lots? Highly unlikely right? Here is a pic of Dallas street from main to DG, help me understand folks...

They're all going next to the 102-story W Hotel...

• Like 1

As much as I wish for htown lives post to be true, it just seems too good to be true. Obviously the city is working on something/a retail district for the area.. But bringing a Bloomingdales to Houston? In downtown...? Maybe in theGalleria, Memorial City Mall, or something of the like. A proven retail destination. Idk, I would just be reluctant to go all out betting on downtown. But I hope the city can come out with a bang on the new project and really get something going.

As much as I wish for htown lives post to be true, it just seems too good to be true. Obviously the city is working on something/a retail district for the area.. But bringing a Bloomingdales to Houston? In downtown...? Maybe in theGalleria, Memorial City Mall, or something of the like. A proven retail destination. Idk, I would just be reluctant to go all out betting on downtown. But I hope the city can come out with a bang on the new project and really get something going.

Honestly - I agree with you that it seems overly optimistic. But at the same time... 3 big retail stores with a number of smaller stores... She is essentially creating a mall, downtown! And if it's done right, why would it be unrealistic? It's a proven concept in other major cities.

Hope it happens!

Honestly - I agree with you that it seems overly optimistic. But at the same time... 3 big retail stores with a number of smaller stores... She is essentially creating a mall, downtown! And if it's done right, why would it be unrealistic? It's a proven concept in other major cities.

Hope it happens!

I agree.. It's just going to be a hard sale at first convincing stores they can make it in downtown. Especially for someone as exclusive as Bloomingdales, I would think. I hope the retail district happens though. They've been talking about it since like 2011, maybe even earlier. And it would be a great addition to making downtown a more all around livable/enjoyable destination/neighborhood.

I agree.. It's just going to be a hard sale at first convincing stores they can make it in downtown. Especially for someone as exclusive as Bloomingdales, I would think. I hope the retail district happens though. They've been talking about it since like 2011, maybe even earlier. And it would be a great addition to making downtown a more all around livable/enjoyable destination/neighborhood.

Historically, Downtown Houston is a proven retail market. Before Uptown/Galleria ever existed, all the big retailers...Foley's (later Macy's), Battlestein's, Palais Royal, Neiman Marcus, Sakowitz, etc., were all Downtown. The Galleria and Northwest Mall lured them all away over the last 50 years (with the old/tired Macy's being the last and most recent to fold), but today millions more live in Houston as the city booms, especially Downtown.

It's really a no-brainer. The mayor and her Retail Task Force are smart to bring in Bloomingdale's and a relocated Macy's, and others to the Dallas Street Retail Corridor Project. Her initiative is very similar to Michigan Avenue in Downtown Chicago. And when you factor this plus GreenStreets, it's a home run and gives Downtown Houston the world class retail it desperately needs and deserves. Houston will have world class retail Downtown and Uptown...two different exciting retail experiences.

With tens of thousands of new residents filling these luxury developments, legions of Downtown city/state/federal government workers there daily, hundreds of thousands of Fortune 500 corporate employees filling the towers every day, and an expanded convention district with numerous new hotels bringing millions more people Downtown each year, a quality retail district is imperative.

• Like 2