editor

Deleted this member. Also banned his e-mail address, and user name and similar ones.

Also, he was coming from a computer in the Philippines, so I banned the entire ISP. I should probably ban the entire country. I know other web sites ban all users from Russia, Romania, and a number of Asian countries. I wonder if that would help here, too.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The website is nice and even has a construction tab so we can watch it get built.

At first i though it was a lot of ground parking, but looking at the site plan, the two large areas of parking are garages. One is two levels with a ground floor (3) and one with one levles with a ground floor (2).

This is mid-rise development without residential. Not bad for far west Houston.

Good point on the parking. We live about a mile down the road from this site we see it almost every day. Just from driving by the site it does not look large enough for the buildings and adequate parking. It makes for sense now that I see the garages on the plans.

• 3 months later...

Yeah, that's just what Katy needs. Another pre-fab, master-planned, ultimately Generica-looking retail development.

I don't care how high-end it may be. In the end it's just more big box sprawl.

Didn't everyone move that direction to get away from such vapid development?

Yeah, that's just what Katy needs. Another pre-fab, master-planned, ultimately Generica-looking retail development.

I don't care how high-end it may be. In the end it's just more big box sprawl.

Didn't everyone move that direction to get away from such vapid development?

Katy is gonna be the new Woodlands IMO, and eventually connect with Sugarland. There IS no getting away from progress.

Here is another mixed-used development, that is coming to the Katy area. The website is very helpful.

La%20Centerra%20at%20Cinco%20Ranch.jpg

La Centerra

Groundbreaking is January 25, 2005

What i don't understand is how groundbreaking starts on the 25th. I drive by almost daily and I don't even see survey markers. My guess is that it's going to be a while.

What i don't understand is how groundbreaking starts on the 25th. I drive by almost daily and I don't even see survey markers. My guess is that it's going to be a while.

I was kind of thinking the same thing as I drive by pretty much every day also. There has been some materials that look like brick/siding "samples" out on the Northeast corner of the property near Cinco Ranch Blvd @ 99 for some time. I'll be happy to see some dirt moving.

I was kind of thinking the same thing as I drive by pretty much every day also. There has been some materials that look like brick/siding "samples" out on the Northeast corner of the property near Cinco Ranch Blvd @ 99 for some time. I'll be happy to see some dirt moving.

Just drove by and there is nothing happening at all. As I mentioned before, There is nothing the shows there getting ready for groundbreaking. There are no survey markers anywhere which means they can't break ground.

Anywhere you go in Houston, or Texas its going to be sprawl. So, my advise. Stop talking about it, and get use to it.

I see money, and more jobs for people. You see, sprawl.

I refuse to get used to it. It doesn't have to be this way. The more we as citizens of this area talk and work together, the more community building there can be, and the less buliding for building's sake there could be. Quality of life is hugely lacking in this part of Texas, and sprawl is a big reason why.

You see money in this? For whom? A few developers and the politicians they pay off to get what they want? It sure isn't for many of those people who are getting those jobs you value. Most/many of them are low-paying retail and service jobs, not the kind of job and money you can build a decent quality of life upon.

Katy is gonna be the new Woodlands IMO, and eventually connect with Sugarland. There IS no getting away from progress.

This doesn't evenly remotely meet my definition of "progress."

The things they're building clearly already exist elsewhere about town. Why move out away from it all and then declare, "Ohhh, we need a CVS out here!" What increasingly does not exist is peace, quiet and unpaved space. More of those kinds of things would indeed be progress.

Edited by GettaClue

I refuse to get used to it. It doesn't have to be this way. The more we as citizens of this area talk and work together, the more community building there can be, and the less buliding for building's sake there could be. Quality of life is hugely lacking in this part of Texas, and sprawl is a big reason why.

You see money in this? For whom? A few developers and the politicians they pay off to get what they want? It sure isn't for many of those people who are getting those jobs you value. Most/many of them are low-paying retail and service jobs, not the kind of job and money you can build a decent quality of life upon.

This doesn't evenly remotely meet my definition of "progress."

The things they're building clearly already exist elsewhere about town. Why move out away from it all and then declare, "Ohhh, we need a CVS out here!" What increasingly does not exist is peace, quiet and unpaved space. More of those kinds of things would indeed be progress.

I completely agree with you!

^got a point there...but...

the issue is that there are a few (FEW) that like non-sprawl-esque cookie-cutter-custom (paradox? why yes!) areas with denser development with more (subjective) character. and of course, alot of those few end up on this (architectural) forum. go figure.

all in all, i will concede that we may after all need these developments so the higher percentage of people who don't mind them have somewhere "nice" to live ^_^

just inferring, of course

Edited by sevfiv

Isn't it the "American Dream" to make money, and live a lavish lifestyle ? So a few developers make a community GROW and make a few dollars in the process. Why is that sooooo wrong? Is it because YOU didn't think of it first, and now you are gonna misout ? The People of Katy need places closer to home to spend THEIR hard earned dollars in a nice Galleria like setting, instead of having to drive 40 miles and sit in traffic to do so. I would say that it would improve their "Quality of Life" greatly if they didn't have to spend the better part of 2 hours in a car traveling back and forth for retail goods they can get right around the corner. How many people do you know working at the "GAP" live in $200k homes ? The doctors and nurses that are about to move into the two new hospitals on I-10 are the ones that will be living in those, and I am sure that after a 18 hour shift they aren't gonna want to have to trudge down to 610 and Westhiemer to enjoy a good meal, or treat themselves to a new Prada bag, they can drive 5 minutes and get it at La Centerra.

Talk about selfish, "build by me, build by me ! I want to be more urban !" What makes you so special ? Did you even click on the link for La Centerra ? Gonna be a little more than just a CVS there Chief ! What do you propose, 40 story highrises with starbucks and a Barnes & Noble at street level ? Hopefully you won't have to be burdened with venturing out this way to ever see it, so what do you care ? This is for the city of KATY, not the city of HOUSTON. Do yourself a favor and change your name to NeedaClue. I assure you this is not "sprawl" this upscale shopping center is needed for quite a few who live out here who are tired of going to Target for shopping and NAWLINS for dinner. -_-

Personally, I don't care for suburbia. It is just not me. Now, it might be you or someone you know, so no one has the right to criticize that. Just because you live in Kingwood, Cinco Ranch or any other master planned community, don't bash it. There are plenty of wonderful people that choose to live in an area like this for safety and school concerns. If I lived in River Oaks, my kids would be in St. Johns or St. Thomas, not Lamar. There are plenty of people that live in Cinco Ranch that could easily afford River Oaks, West U or Memorial, but they choose not to.

I don't like to see the sprawl, but it is part of life. You think it is bad now, wait 50 years and then look at it. Cities are going to expand and that is all there is to it. Not everyone will have the financial means to live in the "The Loop" as many of the snobbish sort say on here. I happened to live in River Oaks with my father in a huge, kick it house, but never considered myself fortunate because of the fact I lived in River Oaks or "The Loop".

Isn't it the "American Dream" to make money, and live a lavish lifestyle ? So a few developers make a community GROW and make a few dollars in the process. Why is that sooooo wrong? Is it because YOU didn't think of it first, and now you are gonna misout ? The People of Katy need places closer to home to spend THEIR hard earned dollars in a nice Galleria like setting, instead of having to drive 40 miles and sit in traffic to do so. I would say that it would improve their "Quality of Life" greatly if they didn't have to spend the better part of 2 hours in a car traveling back and forth for retail goods they can get right around the corner. How many people do you know working at the "GAP" live in $200k homes ? The doctors and nurses that are about to move into the two new hospitals on I-10 are the ones that will be living in those, and I am sure that after a 18 hour shift they aren't gonna want to have to trudge down to 610 and Westhiemer to enjoy a good meal, or treat themselves to a new Prada bag, they can drive 5 minutes and get it at La Centerra.

Talk about selfish, "build by me, build by me ! I want to be more urban !" What makes you so special ? Did you even click on the link for La Centerra ? Gonna be a little more than just a CVS there Chief ! What do you propose, 40 story highrises with starbucks and a Barnes & Noble at street level ? Hopefully you won't have to be burdened with venturing out this way to ever see it, so what do you care ? This is for the city of KATY, not the city of HOUSTON. Do yourself a favor and change your name to NeedaClue. I assure you this is not "sprawl" this upscale shopping center is needed for quite a few who live out here who are tired of going to Target for shopping and NAWLINS for dinner. -_-

Thank you ^_^

^What's the reason? They are building a new mixed-used development, so it is called Stinko Ranch. There is nothing wrong with this and I do not know what the fuss is all about GettaClue.

Poor home construction.

Poor infrastructure planning

More sleazy stripmall sprawl.

I guess if you like the above, Stinko Ranch is for you. Have fun on your commute.

Poor home construction.

Poor infrastructure planning

More sleazy stripmall sprawl.

I guess if you like the above, Stinko Ranch is for you. Have fun on your commute.

Examples ? You just throw it out there gto, do you actually LIVE in one of these homes, do you have some articles from frustrated home owners ?

I think the only ones that actually call it Stinko Ranch are the kids going to Mayde Creek High and Morton Ranch. Please name the "poor" builders out there for me. Thanks.

Examples ? You just throw it out there gto, do you actually LIVE in one of these homes, do you have some articles from frustrated home owners ?

I think the only ones that actually call it Stinko Ranch are the kids going to Mayde Creek High and Morton Ranch. Please name the "poor" builders out there for me. Thanks.

Just pick one. All the homes will be trash in 20 years.