Gene Norman out at KHOU

ChannelTwoNews

Gene Norman, KHOU’s (Channel 11) chief meteorologist since June 2008, declined comment Saturday morning in the wake of a late Friday announcement by station president Susan McEldoon that he had left the station.

McEldoon said Norman “has left KHOU TV to pursue new opportunities in weather forecasting and meteorology.”

Norman, who did his normal forecast on Channel 11′s 10 p.m. newscast and provided his daily Norman Number report for Saturday’s Chronicle barely an hour before McEldoon’s e-mail detailing his departure arrived Friday night, declined to elaborate on McEldoon’s comments or to discuss his future plans.

http://blog.chron.com/sportsmedia/2012/11/gene-norman-leaving-channel-11-station-gm-says/

Don't forget to paste the best part. Could be his Twitter account that ended his run.

The announcement of Norman’s departure comes about three months after the announcement of an assignment change involving Channel 11 meteorologists Chita Johnson and David Paul. Johnson moved to morning newscasts while Paul moved from mornings after 15 years to take over the 4 and 5 p.m. newscasts, supplanting Norman in the latter hour. Norman continued at 6 and 10 p.m.

On the day the change was announced, a message was posted to Norman’s Twitter account reading that “blondie moves to morning, morning moves to 4, 5. I am reduced” to 6 and 10. Later in the day, another message on the account read, “It appears my twitter account was hacked today be careful on social media,” and the tweets regarding the assignment changes were removed. Norman did not return a telephone call seeking details about the reported Twitter hacking.

• 3 weeks later...

Wish they could get Tom Siler back.

Tom was a hoot. Was he a meterologist? Do we really need a meterologist just to tell us what the National Weather Service has put out? When we have storms in the Gulf I rely on NOAA's reports which I get on the internet. It seems the different TV stations are somewhat in disagreement about what will happen. Since I live close to Galveston Bay (mandatory evacuation for Ike), I appreciate accuracy.

So you are old enough to remember Tom Siler. Do you remember Sid Lasher? He drew cartoons on the weather map.

By the way, let me take this opportunity to mention I am delighted to see Mia Gradney back on TV. It's great to see someone present the news well and look stunning (and never outrageous) while doing it. She has got style and class.

It was the tritter feed that got him fired. He was understandably unhappy with someone that wasn't a real meteorologist taking over his prime time spots. But it's always about ratings and what Dave Ward wants.

David Paul and Chita Johnson are both meteorologists with the American Meteorological Society Seal of Approval.

Paul and Johnson are card carrying meteorologists, as graduates of the University of Southern Mississippi's school of what I will call "meteorology in broadcasting."

They went to college to learn meteorology and how to put it on TV and radio. Neither has ever actually worked as a meteorologist out in the real world. They only do it on TV.

Gene Norman spent years as a meteorologist in the Air Force and for NASA before he moved to TV. There is a difference, and I can understand why Gene and other "real world" meteorologists like Neil Frank would resent them.

Paul and Johnson are card carrying meteorologists, as graduates of the University of Southern Mississippi's school of what I will call "meteorology in broadcasting."

They went to college to learn meteorology and how to put it on TV and radio. Neither has ever actually worked as a meteorologist out in the real world. They only do it on TV.

Gene Norman spent years as a meteorologist in the Air Force and for NASA before he moved to TV. There is a difference, and I can understand why Gene and other "real world" meteorologists like Neil Frank would resent them.

I thought Gene Norman had excellent "presence" when delivering his weather segment. He seemed just as polished and natural as the other meteorologists. If anyone had negative criticism of his on-air performance vis a vis the others I believe it was unfounded. He could have skipped the "Norman Number" though. It was a bit trite.

By the way, Fringe, Dave Ward is with KTRK not KHOU, but with 45+ years on local TV maybe he does have influence even with the competition. :)

David Paul forecasts Houston area weather like the Houston native he is. That's rare even from the "real" metorologists at the local NWS office. Of the other local tv weatherpersons, only Frank Billingsley has been in this area long enough to tweak the NWS/Accuweather/TWC feeds to fit uniquely local conditions, but Billingsley is captive in the Alliteration Hell that is Channel 2 News.

Although I watch Chita Johnson's forecasts frequently, I have yet to see any of her weather maps or hear a word she says...

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Gene Norman has a new project now.

http://genenormanweather.com/

Glad to see this. I would think his experience in the military and with NASA gives him the expertise and credentials for this sort of venture. For personal reasons it is nice to turn on the TV each morning and get an idea of how the weather will change throughout the day - and in Houston it can "turn on a dime." The real value of good meteorology though is in the commercial realm. Transportation, agriculture, and entertainment (vacation locales, outdoor concerts and sporting events, etc.) rely heavily on good long-term forecasting.

IIRC Accu-Weather meteorologists Joe Sobel and Even Meyers did very well in the commodities market a few decades ago based on their own meteorological research and predictions. I guess that is not considered "inside information." :)

• 2 weeks later...

Smart traders know the stock market and which stocks will rise and fall depending on the weather, and they can make some serious money buying and selling certain stocks.

Example: They know where a hurricane will hit, so they could buy stock in construction companies and those that make and sell building materials, and they could sell their stock in luxury hotels and resorts in the area, BEFORE the storm hits.

And you're right. It's not "insider" trading. It's SMART trading.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Why? Do Texan's fans not like hot women that do a decent job?

Yes, they do. However, they do not like extremely un-hot fat, bleached blondes with adnoid voices and no clue about how to be good at their chosen career.

Chita is here to stay at KHOU for at least 5-6 years at best.

That's 5-6 years longer than she deserves to be on air in any major market , or any market period.

Yes, they do. However, they do not like extremely un-hot fat, bleached blondes with adnoid voices and no clue about how to be good at their chosen career.

That's 5-6 years longer than she deserves to be on air in any major market , or any market period.

Man, you all must have some sad and boring lives to get so worked up over a person who just talks about weather. Frankly, I can think of plenty of other things and people to boo for good reason (a bad call on the field, mosquitos, Bashar al-Assad, Kim Jong Un, etc.). Booing a girl who has done nothing to you is pathetic, depressing, and annoying. Get a life and chill out.

Man, you all must have some sad and boring lives to get so worked up over a person who just talks about weather. Frankly, I can think of plenty of other things and people to boo for good reason (a bad call on the field, mosquitos, Bashar al-Assad, Kim Jong Un, etc.). Booing a girl who has done nothing to you is pathetic, depressing, and annoying. Get a life and chill out.

Maybe he was an ex boyfriend? Or maybe Chita has denied his repeated Facebook friend requests and blocked him on Twitter...I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.

I'm a happily married man to the woman of my dreams, Alicia Dela Cruz & the father of 3 young sons, living in San Antonio.

First, Chita is one of the most sexiest women in Houston TV News alongside Jennifer Reyna, Lisa Hernandez, Melinda Spaulding, Kristine Galvan, Mia Gradney, etc.,

I'm a happily married man to the woman of my dreams, Alicia De La Cruz and the father of 3 young sons, living in San Antonio.

First, Chita is one of the most sexiest women in Houston TV News alongside Jennifer Reyna, Lisa Hernandez, Melinda Spaulding, Kristine Galvan, Mia Gradney, etc.,

Hopefully Obamacare will allow you to get your cataracts removed so, one day soon, you can finally actually SEE the unattractive women who you are claiming to be so hot.

First off, Obamacare is a national DISGRACE to this nation & it needs to go away (I strongly support United States Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX)'s fight to stop Obamacare).

Second, Houston TV news still has several HOT, sexiest women in news in all of the stations, including Univision &Telemundo Houston stations.

First off, Obamacare is a national DISGRACE to this nation and it needs to go away (I strongly support U.S. Senator Ted Cruz's fight to stop Obamacare).

Second, Houston TV news still has several HOT, sexiest women in news in all of the stations, including Univision and Telemundo Houston stations.

So we find common ground, Blue Dog!  I agree that Univision and Telemundo has some of the hottest women on TV in Houston.

(However, KHOU and KPRC do NOT have hot women.)

Archived