McGovern Centennial Gardens At 1500 Hermann Dr.

lockmat

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

So, yesterday I wrote to the Hermann Park Conservancy about my concern about the stall in the Grand Gateway project and to share my enthusiasm for the work being done at the Japanese Gardens (one of Houston's best, little know amenity).  I received a following prompt and detailed answer from Meghan Miller, Director of Development:

Not able to Copy and Paste, so I'll summarize...

She says that the Grand Gateway hit some delays when the TxDOT contractor abandoned the job, which led to substantial delays soliciting a new one.  New contractor "Bio Landscape" is on it now and starting some "covert" work in the fall and is now actually doing a lot of work between the Sam Houston Statue and Mecom Fountain.  Work, also started last week on the Fountain. The contractor hopes to finish this this portion of the project by the Spring. 

Nice response.

• Like 3

I'm really looking forward to the revitalized Japanese Gardens.. I had no idea it was going on until I tried to go to there a little while back and it was all fenced off. Speaking of fenced off.. Are they expanding the Japanese Garden section or what all is in the plan for renovations? Construction fences extended out much further than the existing boundaries.

• Like 1

From the Conservancy's website:

The first phase of renovations to enhance the Japanese Garden began on November 9 and will be completed in early summer 2016. Portions of the garden will be blocked for safety during construction. Additional renovations are planned to add a new entrance to the garden, an event lawn, a dry stream garden, and more. The Conservancy is actively fundraising for these renovations and is anticipating final completion by the garden’s 25th anniversary in 2017.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I've always wondered what that plot of trees was for. You can currently ride a bike or jog through it, but no one is ever over there, other than maybe coming out of that building. You might see a jogger or two making their way back to TMC.

This would resolve the common complaint I hear from friends/family who come to the park, that there isn't anywhere to really let the dogs loose. Very mindful/thoughtful of HPC!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to McGovern Centennial Gardens
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Houston photo: Garden Mount at McGovern Centennial Gardens