McGovern Centennial Gardens At 1500 Hermann Dr.

lockmat

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

We have very few affordable golf courses in town as it is. How about a better course

THIS.  Roommate and I took a trip up to Dallas recently.  The municipal/public courses up there are leaps and bounds better than what Houston has to offer.  Herman really needs to get it together.  It could be a great inner loop course... See memorial park. 

• 3 weeks later...

Beginning this week, the entire site, save for the existing parking lot, has been fenced and clearing work has begun.  I assume they will not close the existing parking lot until the new lot is built?

Unfortunately, have cleared a lot of old trees.

post-1190-0-85714600-1381412672_thumb.jp

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

That pagoda was in the garden area that is being re-done into Centennial Gardens.  They are moving it out of there as part of the redo.  Not sure where it is going to end up.

From what I can make out from the drawings it will end up across the street from the ampitheater.

http://www.hermannpark.org/centennial_gardens.php

birdseyelarge.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just saw it yesterday. The mount is much higher than 15 feet. Think 20 to 25 feet. The long berm along the parking lot/south side is about that high. Weddings on the spirilling mount? That'd be a long procession. The couple would look like the figures on top of the Wedding Cake, however.

• Like 2

Yeah I was impressed how tall it was. I know it's not as tall as the Miller Theater hill but it might still have interesting views if it lines up with a clear view towards the med center or downtown.

I have been watching them dig up and roll on large cylinders the 100 year old oaks that were in the parking lot. They're moving some across the street to the Miller theater side. Pretty amazing considering the size.if you haven't seen them you should go by.  I imagine the pyramid builders would have liked the cylinders they're using. I noticed where they are building the Levy park tower there are several oaks sitting on blocks waiting to be planted in Levy park. Also the thickness of the root ball is surprising.

• 1 month later...

the park needed a renovation of the botanical gardens, happy to see it finally being done........wish it were more aggressive in it's design and wish the golf course was taken out......honestly so many other uses could be built in it's place, softball, soccer or add more land to the zoo and garden spaces.......also underground parking would be great.......

• Like 2