trymahjong

1300 Capitol Street---New HSPVA campus

Recommended Posts

mollusk    1477
4 hours ago, native_Houstonian said:

I still find it baffling that HISD spent tax payer money on an entire downtown block for HSPVA.     They could have purchased a block on the near East side for a fraction of the cost and still had great accessibility via the train to downtown. 

 

Nothing to be baffled about here...

 

On 11/7/2012 at 7:58 PM, DrLan34 said:

looks like this is official

http://blog.chron.co...nent-locations/

"HISD officials have said HSPVA will move downtown. The new school is planned for the 1300 block of Capitol near Discovery Green and Minute Maid Park. The district-owned site is now being used for parking.

Grier said the school could be be built atop a parking structure on the site."

 

Once upon a time this was a high school site - Houston Central, IIRC.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobruss    2547

Several points. They have a lot of performances at the school so there are many concert goers. Yes it is easier for buses and parents to drop the kids off without blocking the streets and  under cover  and there is a need to be able to pull instruments and art projects out without getting soaked. 

Naive Houstonian, I believe the property was already owned by the school district and this is the perfect place for a performing arts school.

It makes a lot more sense for the students to be able to walk over to the rehearsal halls or dance studios downtown than being over in the east end.

 

 

 

11 hours ago, native_Houstonian said:

I still find it baffling that HISD spent tax payer money on an entire downtown block for HSPVA.     They could have purchased a block on the near East side for a fraction of the cost and still had great accessibility via the train to downtown. 

10 hours ago, native_Houstonian said:

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UtterlyUrban    1431
8 hours ago, bobruss said:

Several points. They have a lot of performances at the school so there are many concert goers. Yes it is easier for buses and parents to drop the kids off without blocking the streets and  under cover  and there is a need to be able to pull instruments and art projects out without getting soaked. 

 

 

 

The kids and concert goers manage must fine now at the existing school.  No cover there, right?  Nothing since 1982.   Must not have rained much back then.

 

My post "art students can't get wet" was a joke.  As is the point above.  

 

The idea that this small underpass will "help" with traffic is probably true.  But, frankly, the underpass is likely too small and cars and vehicles will still line the roads at peek times.

 

i can't wait for this school to open.  Hundreds of bright, young, creatives will bring so much energy to downtown every day.  Even when it rains.  Exciting times.

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UtterlyUrban    1431

Refresh my memory.... this will be open  for the fall semester (2018), correct?  Gosh, I hope so.  Hundreds of art students downtown will be MASSIVE.  They will drive an energy that only young creatives can.

 

Soon, downtown will have young music buskers, mimes,  portrait painters, and dance troupes.  These young people will, unbeknownst to them, create the vibrancy in which they will thrive and, in doing so, will create a “place”.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hindesky    17631

They hope to be open for the fall semester but with 9 months to go they better put it in high gear IMHO. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hindesky    17631
13 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

It is scheduled to open in January 2019, not fall semester.

I talked with a McCarthy Bros executive when they were flying up the huge beams over the auditorium and he said at the time they would be open for the fall semester,  but I don't see it at the pace they're going.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Houston19514    2261
13 hours ago, hindesky said:

I talked with a McCarthy Bros executive when they were flying up the huge beams over the auditorium and he said at the time they would be open for the fall semester,  but I don't see it at the pace they're going.

 

According to the project's website, I don't think that has ever been the timetable. Two years ago we had a discussion in this thread about the meaning of the stated "Fall 2017 Completion". The website still shows construction being completed in the 4th quarter 2017 and says they are on schedule.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timoric    766
On 11/23/2017 at 9:09 PM, hindesky said:

2kwnJuE.jpg

See large wall: wonder if it is going to get Graffiti often

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArtNsf    169

I'm assuming the blue "wrapping" on the outside is only protective and will be removed upon completion, correct ?  Although I do love the color, and certainly, Houston's downtown really could use some bright colors and more "pop", but looking good so far !  Thanks for the pics everyone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Avossos    929
6 minutes ago, ArtNsf said:

I'm assuming the blue "wrapping" on the outside is only protective and will be removed upon completion, correct ?  Although I do love the color, and certainly, Houston's downtown really could use some bright colors and more "pop", but looking good so far !  Thanks for the pics everyone.

 

1st off - I appreciate that you decided to love your own comment haha

 

2nd - that blue is a paint type sealant / insulation / guard that some buildings get before the top layer is added. this will remain underneath the brick they will like put over it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArtNsf    169
12 minutes ago, Avossos said:

 

1st off - I appreciate that you decided to love your own comment haha

 

2nd - that blue is a paint type sealant / insulation / guard that some buildings get before the top layer is added. this will remain underneath the brick they will like put over it.

thanks for the explanation.  although not sure why "2nd" was all that important to point out ?  I see that a lot with nearly everyone else, but I guess we all choose what we like to concentrate on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now