trymahjong

1300 Capitol Street---New HSPVA campus

366 posts in this topic

Austin St. Construction
Friday, May 5 (7 pm) – Monday, May 8 (5 am)
Complete continuous closure of the 700 block of Austin (between Rusk and Capitol) for crane installation.
Detour: Motorist will turn right onto Rusk, left on Crawford, and left on Capitol.

This according to Downtown Streets, I doubt they are putting up another crane more likely taking one down but it doesn't seem like they are far enough along to do this IMHO.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, UtterlyUrban said:

One more floor?

it's going to be five floors... So it seems it's topped out.

2 people like this

Street closure of Austin St. for the tower crane removal.

Austin St. Construction
Friday, May 26 (7 pm) – Monday, May 29 (5 am)
Complete continuous closure of the 700 block of Austin (between Capitol and Rusk) to enable crane assembly.
Detour: Motorist will turn right onto Rusk, left on Crawford, and left on Capitol.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

I was on the other side of  HSPVA, tonight and it seemed to have more cinder block layed on that side. The structure definitely creates some nice spatial relations with the vertical lines of downtown. It seems very heavy and I wish or hope theres more transparency in the design. Hopefully some of the upper levels will feature more glazing. It definitely makes a statement on the surrounding neighborhood and the affect that 500 hundred something high schoolers roaming the streets will create a new dynamic that should generate more retail. Who has more money to spend than teenagers? I'm sure the dancers will be trekking over to the theater district along with the drama and orchestral departments and the Houston ballet academy and surely the art department will take many field trips to the MFA on the rail. What a great place for the school.

Edited by bobruss
7 people like this