Kinder High School For The Performing And Visual Arts At 790 Austin St.

Subdude

13 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

It is scheduled to open in January 2019, not fall semester.

I talked with a McCarthy Bros executive when they were flying up the huge beams over the auditorium and he said at the time they would be open for the fall semester,  but I don't see it at the pace they're going.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hindesky said:

I talked with a McCarthy Bros executive when they were flying up the huge beams over the auditorium and he said at the time they would be open for the fall semester,  but I don't see it at the pace they're going.

According to the project's website, I don't think that has ever been the timetable. Two years ago we had a discussion in this thread about the meaning of the stated "Fall 2017 Completion". The website still shows construction being completed in the 4th quarter 2017 and says they are on schedule.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm assuming the blue "wrapping" on the outside is only protective and will be removed upon completion, correct ?  Although I do love the color, and certainly, Houston's downtown really could use some bright colors and more "pop", but looking good so far !  Thanks for the pics everyone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ArtNsf said:

I'm assuming the blue "wrapping" on the outside is only protective and will be removed upon completion, correct ?  Although I do love the color, and certainly, Houston's downtown really could use some bright colors and more "pop", but looking good so far !  Thanks for the pics everyone.

1st off - I appreciate that you decided to love your own comment haha

2nd - that blue is a paint type sealant / insulation / guard that some buildings get before the top layer is added. this will remain underneath the brick they will like put over it.

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:47 AM, Avossos said:

1st off - I appreciate that you decided to love your own comment haha

2nd - that blue is a paint type sealant / insulation / guard that some buildings get before the top layer is added. this will remain underneath the brick they will like put over it.

thanks for the explanation.  although not sure why the "1st off" was all that important to point out ?  I see that a lot of that with nearly everyone else, but I guess we all choose what we like to concentrate on here.

Edited by ArtNsf
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, hindesky said:

They must only have 2 bricklayers on this project, hopefully the interior is coming along because they might not make it by the spring 2019 classes at the rate they are going.

I realize you are joking, but they've actually been making very good progress with the brick over the last two weeks, with noticeable changes every day.  I count 9 bricklayers right now, and that's just the ones visible from my angle.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Brick is good.

better than synthetic stucco.

but I am sick of beige.

would a reddish or brown brick been so shocking to the senses of the 2010’s Houstonian that it would have caused mass revolt?  Are we all just beige now?

Beige also much more difficult to keep clean in this climate.  Eighteen 22 or whatever it's called already has turned green in parts.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...