Kinder High School For The Performing And Visual Arts At 790 Austin St.

Subdude

Street closure of Austin St. for the tower crane removal.

Austin St. Construction
Friday, May 26 (7 pm) – Monday, May 29 (5 am)
Complete continuous closure of the 700 block of Austin (between Capitol and Rusk) to enable crane assembly.
Detour: Motorist will turn right onto Rusk, left on Crawford, and left on Capitol.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was on the other side of  HSPVA, tonight and it seemed to have more cinder block layed on that side. The structure definitely creates some nice spatial relations with the vertical lines of downtown. It seems very heavy and I wish or hope theres more transparency in the design. Hopefully some of the upper levels will feature more glazing. It definitely makes a statement on the surrounding neighborhood and the affect that 500 hundred something high schoolers roaming the streets will create a new dynamic that should generate more retail. Who has more money to spend than teenagers? I'm sure the dancers will be trekking over to the theater district along with the drama and orchestral departments and the Houston ballet academy and surely the art department will take many field trips to the MFA on the rail. What a great place for the school.

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, native_Houstonian said:

I still find it baffling that HISD spent tax payer money on an entire downtown block for HSPVA.     They could have purchased a block on the near East side for a fraction of the cost and still had great accessibility via the train to downtown. 

I find it baffling that you think an area as dense (or soon to be dense) doesn't deserve a high school. They should build more public schools downtown.

• Like 4

I'm not sure how HSPVA works today, but when I was in school,  HSPVA pulled students from all over the district.   You had to audition in your desired discipline in order to be accepted to the school.   A student is not "zoned" to HSPVA according to their residence.   I would think, that once complete, maybe, maybe 2-3% of the students that attend the school will actually live downtown.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, native_Houstonian said:

I still find it baffling that HISD spent tax payer money on an entire downtown block for HSPVA.     They could have purchased a block on the near East side for a fraction of the cost and still had great accessibility via the train to downtown. 

Nothing to be baffled about here...

On 11/7/2012 at 7:58 PM, DrLan34 said:

looks like this is official

http://blog.chron.co...nent-locations/

"HISD officials have said HSPVA will move downtown. The new school is planned for the 1300 block of Capitol near Discovery Green and Minute Maid Park. The district-owned site is now being used for parking.

Grier said the school could be be built atop a parking structure on the site."

Once upon a time this was a high school site - Houston Central, IIRC.

• Like 2

Several points. They have a lot of performances at the school so there are many concert goers. Yes it is easier for buses and parents to drop the kids off without blocking the streets and  under cover  and there is a need to be able to pull instruments and art projects out without getting soaked. 

Naive Houstonian, I believe the property was already owned by the school district and this is the perfect place for a performing arts school.

It makes a lot more sense for the students to be able to walk over to the rehearsal halls or dance studios downtown than being over in the east end.

11 hours ago, native_Houstonian said:

10 hours ago, native_Houstonian said:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bobruss said:

Several points. They have a lot of performances at the school so there are many concert goers. Yes it is easier for buses and parents to drop the kids off without blocking the streets and  under cover  and there is a need to be able to pull instruments and art projects out without getting soaked. 

The kids and concert goers manage must fine now at the existing school.  No cover there, right?  Nothing since 1982.   Must not have rained much back then.

My post "art students can't get wet" was a joke.  As is the point above.  

The idea that this small underpass will "help" with traffic is probably true.  But, frankly, the underpass is likely too small and cars and vehicles will still line the roads at peek times.

i can't wait for this school to open.  Hundreds of bright, young, creatives will bring so much energy to downtown every day.  Even when it rains.  Exciting times.

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Refresh my memory.... this will be open  for the fall semester (2018), correct?  Gosh, I hope so.  Hundreds of art students downtown will be MASSIVE.  They will drive an energy that only young creatives can.

Soon, downtown will have young music buskers, mimes,  portrait painters, and dance troupes.  These young people will, unbeknownst to them, create the vibrancy in which they will thrive and, in doing so, will create a “place”.

• Like 2