Houston A Finalist For Super Bowl LI (2017)

JLWM8609

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone is watching the NFL NETWORK tonight, the SUPERBOWL OPENING NIGHT starts at 7pm. This is the televised version of media day. I can't wait for our moment , but wondering where we will host this event. The sites the NFL has chosen in San Francisco arw amazing. I hope some members of HAIF will tune in and predict what sites the NFL will use in our city next year. We can't beat San Francisco with they're GOD given sites, however our city will have new things to show off to the world. I can't wait for 2017. What are your thoughts HAIF?

There will no doubt be additional official logos, more dressed-up than this very basic, generic one. There will probably be one with elements of NRG Stadium or other representations of Houston incorporated.

If the NFL does continue with regional game logos, they could mimic Super Bowl 50 and show elements to the host city incorporated into the number/numeral design with stadium in forefront.

Super Bowl 51's logo is on page 257 in Super Bowl 50's program.

http://hozinc.com/sb50/html5/index.html?page=1

I'm sure the place where they do the broadcasting throughout the week will be where ever the 'nfl experience' is located. Which, if it's like last time, would be in the GRB.

So lots of views of downtown up close from discovery green. 

edit, well here ya go:

http://downtownhouston.org/news/blogpost/george-r-brown-convention-center-super-bowl-LI/

In 2017, the George R. Brown will resume the essential role it played for the 2004 Super Bowl, when more than 200,000 guests enjoyed 639,000 square feet of NFL Experience fan festival exhibits. The GRB was also home to the Super Bowl media center and other events associated with the big game.

For 2017, the GRB and Hilton Americas-Houston hotel guests and visitors new to Houston will have the additional experience of the adjacent Discovery Green park, which was constructed since the 2004 Super Bowl. Fan and media events will likely spill over into the park, across the street from the GRB. By 2017, accommodations will be even more plentiful when the forthcoming 1,000-room Marriot Marquis is built at the north end of the George R. Brown, complementing the 1,200-room Hilton Americas at the south edge of the park.

• 1 month later...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Roads-near-NRG-to-be-improved-before-Super-Bowl-7216206.php

Harris County commissioners voted Tuesday to approve more than $550,000 worth of contracts to design and engineer roads around NRG Park, part of an expedited process to complete upgrades near the venue ahead of the 2017 Super Bowl.

Blount said that the design phase for county road projects typically takes 14 to 16 months, but he called this project "expedited," as design and construction are to be completed before the Super Bowl is played next February in NRG Stadium.

"I'm happy to report that we are on schedule," Locke said.

Locke said in an interview Tuesday that he will allocate approximately $500,000 for a sidewalk on one side of McNee Road between Main Street and NRG Stadium.

16 hours ago, LarryDierker said:

500k for 1700 feet of sidewalk? Does it really cost $300 per foot for sidewalks?

According to this sidewalk cost calculator i found with google, thats crazy talk.

A few thoughts:

1) This is from the Chronicle, so there is at least a 50:50 chance it is wrong.

2) In fact, the Chronicle, a day earlier, in an article written by the same "reporter", quoted the County Commissioner as saying he was allocating $250,000 to $300,000 for this same project.

3) Google maps tells me it's .4 mile.  That is 2,112 feet, not 1,700 feet.

4) How wide of a sidewalk are they building?  The sidewalk cost calculator works by square footage, not by linear footage. 

5) What all is planned?  Do they need to acquire easements, move and/or rebuild any existing infrastructure, do any significant grading, etc. etc.?  Will they install lighting?

• 6 months later...

I can't believe the upper kirby district has dropped the ball so dramatically on such a key intersection as Kirby and Bissonnett that so many super bowl visitors will transit.  It looks absolutely third world in it's current state and at the rate they are going, there's no way they will be finished by early Feb.

http://abc13.com/traffic/construction-chaos-work-on-kirby-on-pause/1554108/

kirby.JPG

• The title was changed to Houston A Finalist For Super Bowl LI (2017)

Archived