Houston A Finalist For Super Bowl LI (2017)

JLWM8609

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be really bad if we lose to Miami, although I wouldn't be surprised. I could see the NFL taking the angle of, we need to get them more cash to fix this historic stadium yada yada since the politicians won't finance it via taxes. Good for Miami though, we payed for all of our stadiums and can't even watch the teams on tv!

I saw a quote from Campo or another committee member and they said something like, "last time we didn't have an east/west rail line. Are they talking about the ones going out east? Lol

sure, the destination isn't as important as the fact that we have it, at least for the people who were deciding. I can see the way the conversation unfolded:

commissioner: last time you just had that one bit of rail, it was great and packed cheek by jowl, but have you guys expanded?

houstonian: of course we have! Now we have lines that go east/west and expanded our north south capability as well!

commissioner: splendid! So people can ride a train from the downtown area to the galleria? I know that was a busy place.

houstonian: we'd rather not get bogged down in the details of it with you, as you have more important things to look at, like this picture of the dog from family guy dressed as a banana!

commissioner: oh yeah! peanut butter jelly time!

at least, that's how I imagine it happened.

That's a lot of money to spend for just one weekend, especially considering that the majority of visitors that weekend have a lot of money and would be very unlikely to be taking a train. Don't you think?

I don't think they'll be closing the rail line after the Super Bowl ends. Red Line after last Super Bowl, for example.

Anyway, doesn't matter, a rail line can't be conceived, designed, funded, utilities realigned, and constructed by 2017.

That's a lot of money to spend for just one weekend, especially considering that the majority of visitors that weekend have a lot of money and would be very unlikely to be taking a train. Don't you think?

From what I understand, there will be a 10 day event

While a good portion of the people will come to Houston for the game itself, there will be a number of people that will simply come for the various parties.

While a rail to the airport would be grand, it is pointless without a more extensive system heading west.   It seems to me a large share of the hotel rooms in the city are out in that direction, therefore people will be taking other transport options.

From what I understand, there will be a 10 day event

While a good portion of the people will come to Houston for the game itself, there will be a number of people that will simply come for the various parties.

While a rail to the airport would be grand, it is pointless without a more extensive system heading west.   It seems to me a large share of the hotel rooms in the city are out in that direction, therefore people will be taking other transport options.

this is the official NFL event.

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/47/events/nfl-experience

I went in '04 and I'll go again in '17 

I didn't bother getting any autographs, but they've got tons of players there to sign at all times. But they've got a lot of really neat displays, history and memorabilia.

I might as well just submit my request for vacation now though, not because I want to be attentive to the events, but because moving around Houston will be impossible after the NFC/AFC championship games through the end of the super bowl.

I hope they can turn the 'dome into the worlds largest topiary by that time.

While a rail to the airport would be grand, it is pointless without a more extensive system heading west. It seems to me a large share of the hotel rooms in the city are out in that direction, therefore people will be taking other transport options.

They can lease a fleet of buses to run to and from the airport, up and running in no time with no capital expenditure. I think you are right about growth of hotels on the west side. During the All Star game weekend traffic on the west side of town was worse than a really bad rush hour. They should run shuttles between the airport and selected destinations on the west side (and elsewhere) that local hotels can connect to with their own shuttles.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm just glad that we are going back to different looking super bowl tags. I know that the past five years they been kinda using the same one as sort of a countdown to super bowl 50, but its just bland. I think they could have just done that with Super Bowl 50 and late the ones previous to it be a little different.

As to locales for ESPN I would think Buffalo Bayou, Discover Green, Herman Park would be good venues to host shows. They are big expansive places where people can gather and watch the shows without disrupting traffic and they would be nice backdrops in particular Buffalo Bayou. The new improvements to the park give a lot of possibilities and better showcase the skyline.

The best Houston backdrops?

How about the homeless encampments? Maybe the pothole canyons? Maybe billionaires burning $100 bills while they run the AC at 65?

homeless encampment as a backdrop won't work, HPD rounds up everyone a few weeks before they get here. They want to make the city look nice and clean. Kind of like the German olympics in the 1930s, hide your dirt!

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously discovery green will have a lot of press coverage with the week+ long schedule of events planned there before the game. During the show hopefully we get some good skyline shots (not just the downtown Western Wall) and aerials of our parks..

I thought the new midtown park was going to hold the main "party". 

• 1 month later...

Question - For the Super Bowl, does NRG Park plan to do anything with the Astroworld site & bridge over 610? I noticed they paved some asphalt on a section of the astroworld plot. The bridge over 610 is in desperate need of TLC. A majority of the lights are busted and the bridge is practically brown (also some weeds growing on it).

I assume they will use the lot for extra parking, but is there any plan to spruce it up before the big game? It looks really bad...

• 9 months later...

Stumbled on this online - secret requirements for when the Superbowl was in Minnesota 

http://www.startribune.com/no-10-nfl-had-a-long-pricey-and-secret-super-bowl-wish-list-for-minneapolis/262253921/

One of the (many) strange requirements it listed was "clean zones" around the stadium and the hotel

The “Government Guarantees” section, in addition, also demands that public officials create “clean zones” that cover at least a one-mile radius around the sportsball stadium and a six-block radius from the SPOrtsball’s headquarters hotel. Creating “clean zones,” according to the SPOrtsball, typically “restricts certain activities” and “provides for the temporary suspension of new, and possibly existing, permits for such activities.”

I wonder what activities?  

Stumbled on this online - secret requirements for when the Superbowl was in Minnesota 

http://www.startribune.com/no-10-nfl-had-a-long-pricey-and-secret-super-bowl-wish-list-for-minneapolis/262253921/

One of the (many) strange requirements it listed was "clean zones" around the stadium and the hotel

I wonder what activities?  

The document explains it in some detail:

"Clean Zones are most often established by the enactment of a temporary city ordinance...

Clean Zone ordinances generally should address:

-- Temporary Structures and Inflatables - Restrictions on temporary structures, including, but not limited to, temporary retail locations.  This should also include restrictions on installation or display of "inflatables".

-- Temporary Signage and Building Wraps ...

-- Temporary Sales Permits...

-- Enforcement - Local law enforcement should be expressly permitted to enforce the ordinance by removing prohibited signage and structures, in addition to any fines that may be imposed."

Archived