Pearl 21Eleven: Multifamily At 2119 Westheimer Rd.

Per the chron.com site, Hines has purchsed the Cafe Adobe site on Westheimer. I am assuming this also includes the surface lot across the street. To me, this site is too small for the typical 4-5 story apartment complex wrapped around structured parking. Could Hines be going vertical with an apartment high rise?

http://blog.chron.co...eimer-property/

• Like 1

Per the chron.com site, Hines has purchsed the Cafe Adobe site on Westheimer. I am assuming this also includes the surface lot across the street. To me, this site is too small for the typical 4-5 story apartment complex wrapped around structured parking. Could Hines be going vertical with an apartment high rise?

http://blog.chron.co...eimer-property/

i would imagine they would'nt have much of a choice if they wanted to achieve economies of scale, unless they do less units that are just very high end (think belle meade or chateau 10). i don't know the size of the adobe property but as a comparison i recently heard that marvy may be planning a 20+ story highrise on the art institute site on yorktown and that parcel is 1.3 ac.

• Like 2

I think the Adobe site, combined with the surface lot, is still too small for traditional wrap around mid-rise apartments. Looking at it on Google maps, the parking lot is considerably smaller than the apartment complex just down the street and much smaller than West Ave. Could just be a smaller project like the Bellmeade up the street. I think Hines may be trying to introduce a different product to the area than the traditional Texas doughnut wrap around.

• Like 1

Maybe they're buying the Citgo and strip center as well. How close can you build residential next to a gas station?

I don't think that is the case. They purchased all the land they planned on getting, otherwise, they wouldn't have announced it. To do so prematurely would have made the other landowners increase price of their land.

I need to see if I can take a proper picture of the land for a "before" picture.

• Like 1

St. Anne's (the church across Westheimer from Adobe) uses the lot for overflow parking for nearly all of its surfaces. It wouldn't be a proper Catholic church if it had adequate parking.

Off Topic - How did Adobe get away with serving alcohol right across the street from a church/school. I'm comparing to the permitting issues over on Dunlavy (HEB/Fiesta Property).

• Like 1

i would imagine they would'nt have much of a choice if they wanted to achieve economies of scale, unless they do less units that are just very high end (think belle meade or chateau 10). i don't know the size of the adobe property but as a comparison i recently heard that marvy may be planning a 20+ story highrise on the art institute site on yorktown and that parcel is 1.3 ac.

And the 29 story residential tower being built at BLVD Place has a footprint of 1.2 acres from what I have read.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

some activity from the planning commission agenda, concerning building a bridge over Peckham

Strict application of the ordinance would create an impractical development by forcing residents of the multi-family development to cross Peckham Street at street level to access amenities provided to the residents. The proposed skybridge shall have a 18’- 8 15/16” clearance above grade and will allow the

residents to freely travel between buildings out of the elements and without impacting traffic on Peckham Street.

http://ataps1.pd.ci.houston.tx.us/drc/PC+Meeting+Calendar.nsf/WebDocumentOpen/86597F54E86FB4A88625797C00544F30/$FILE/Draft+Agenda.pdf

• Like 3

Off Topic - How did Adobe get away with serving alcohol right across the street from a church/school. I'm comparing to the permitting issues over on Dunlavy (HEB/Fiesta Property).

It's Catholic, I've been to open bar events in the parish hall of Catholic churches before.

Or maybe Cafe Adobe predates the ordinance.

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 1

Well I was hoping for a signature residential highrise. It's nice that they thought outside of the box though as far as design. It's great to see some variation in the design as compared to the rest of the multifamily buildings that are going up that look the same. It looks like the apartment buildings being built in places like California and Toronto.

• Like 2

love the design... for some reason we don't see a lot of the more modern designs you see elsewhere like Fortune noted. quick question - is parking going to be entirely underground? i don't see much in this rendering. also agree w bluecar... although a highrise is always nice, it would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

Edited by swtsig
  • Like 2

Huh. I can't quite figure out what angle this rendering is from. Is this from the south looking north? What's with the weird landscaped driveway ...thing? It just seems like a huge waste of space.

I think it is from the north, looking south, across Westheimer. The driveway is the church's.

Edited by Houston19514

Huh. I can't quite figure out what angle this rendering is from. Is this from the south looking north? What's with the weird landscaped driveway ...thing? It just seems like a huge waste of space.

It's from the north looking south across westheimer from St. Anne's property. The weird landscaped driveway is St. Anne's driveway on their property.

It looks as if the gas station will stay. My only hope is that they bury the power lines. Cool looking place and great addition! Any word on the other development on Shepard and W. Alabama? This area is going up fast!

i've been waiting for an update that development but so far haven't heard or seen anything. they initally proposed a 6-8 story mixed use apartment complex... pretty sure there's a thread on it somewhere.

• Like 1

i've been waiting for an update that development but so far haven't heard or seen anything. they initally proposed a 6-8 story mixed use apartment complex... pretty sure there's a thread on it somewhere.

It's very interesting when there is a property such as this one that has been planned for a long time and hasn't been able to get developed even when other projects have come online and been developed in a much shorter time. At one point in time prior to the economic downturn a residential highrise was proposed for that site then a mixed use apartment midrise. You would think with all the other apartment complexes going up they would have atleast been able to build a apartment midrise on the site.

• 4 weeks later...