Interstate 69 Signs Are Up -- Now Officially in Houston

totheskies

i guess that they could call it "abx-26" if they wished. Without exit numbers it's really just "the freeway previously known as 59", right?

Technically, it's still U.S. 59, and even w/o the exit numbers, it's an Interstate, although design exemptions were granted to a few stretches since they weren't up to Interstate standards. I think people will continue to call it "59" for a long time. I wonder if there are any old timers who still refer to I-45 as "75"?

So.......

What's the point of all the "I-69" hoopla then???

i guess that they could call it "abx-26" if they wished. Without exit numbers it's really just "the freeway previously known as 59", right?

The point is to get I-69 in people's heads, so that they start asking politicians why I-69 isn't finished yet, so that money gets freed up to finish I-69.

• 2 months later...

They're putting up milemarkers now. There were reference markers before that looked like milemarkers, but they were inconsistent and were in the 500 mile range. These new markers are only in the 100s. This reflects "mile 0" being in Victoria, where it'll branch into I-69E to Corpus and Brownsville, and I-69W to Laredo (intersects with I-69C in George West).

They're putting up milemarkers now. There were reference markers before that looked like milemarkers, but they were inconsistent and were in the 500 mile range. These new markers are only in the 100s. This reflects "mile 0" being in Victoria, where it'll branch into I-69E to Corpus and Brownsville, and I-69W to Laredo (intersects with I-69C in George West).

I saw these yesterday. Wonder if they'll start numbering exits soon.

• 1 year later...
On 11/2/2015 at 7:16 AM, ADCS said:

I saw these yesterday. Wonder if they'll start numbering exits soon.

Exit numbers started going up within the last week around downtown. On I-69/US 59 SB, exit to I-45 is 129B, the McGowen/Tuam exit is 129A, and the 288 exit is 128B. That is consistent with milemarker 0 being in Victoria. 

Archived