Baldwin Park At 1701 Elgin St.

midtown_resident

most excellent.

i have alot of confidence in this project. i think that corner there at crawford and elgin is going to be pretty nice once this project is done and the collective finishes up (course they have to start it dont they).

last time i spoke to anyone at the collective...they seemed a bit cautious about the project...i.e. they didn't really commit to any timeline or such

All I've heard was a pebble running trail instead of the asphalt one they have now. Some attention to the trees, I'm not sure how. And get some of the other facilities usable... like swings on the swings... maybe get that basketball court up to date.

So trail, trees, and facilities.

All I've heard was a pebble running trail instead of the asphalt one they have now. Some attention to the trees, I'm not sure how. And get some of the other facilities usable... like swings on the swings... maybe get that basketball court up to date.

So trail, trees, and facilities.

they should just tear that playground down

if they tore it down that would kill one of my reasons for wanting to possibly move to this neighborhood.

On an aside, in an interesting city poll, Houstonians placed "Nature" and "Family Gatherings" above "Sports" for reasons to visit parks.

went over to the park today to see the progress -

They were in the process of pulling up the sidewalks around the perimeter of the park. The tore up the jogging trail almost in it's entirety. The swingset is gone and the playground is being dismantled. Overall, they are digging the place up.

Let's hope this is a sign for good progress - i'm looking forward to the completed park!

It's a half million dollar project. I'm sure the locals have been chomping at the bit ever since Reverend Morrison was talking about moving his homeless ministry from Root Park to this one back before the superbowl. Midtown went crazy over that and somehow put a stop to it.

It's a half million dollar project. I'm sure the locals have been chomping at the bit ever since Reverend Morrison was talking about moving his homeless ministry from Root Park to this one back before the superbowl. Midtown went crazy over that and somehow put a stop to it.

I heard they protested big time. He then tried to hang his shingle at Allen's Landing and some other group (don't remember who) stopped him there.

I heard they protested big time. He then tried to hang his shingle at Allen's Landing and some other group (don't remember who) stopped him there.

I was at that meeting at HPD. It was a near riot.

But guess who was backing Reverend Morrison?

The Houston Rockets! Yes, that's right. They even had their PR folks at the meeting.

I spit in Les' general direction.

I walked by the park yesterday to take a look at the project sign...a couple of observations:

1. The project is listed as one that will span 2005 - 2008

2. The cost of the project is listed $600k+

3. The artist rendition appears to include a pond of some sort in the middle...kinda where the old fountain is now

4. The trail is pretty much all torn up

5. The playground 'jungle gym' is almost torn down entirely

6. The border concrete sidewalks are all torn up

7. The swingset is gone

I walked by the park yesterday to take a look at the project sign...a couple of observations:

1.  The project is listed as one that will span 2005 - 2008

2.  The cost of the project is listed $600k+

3.  The artist rendition appears to include a pond of some sort in the middle...kinda where the old fountain is now

4.  The trail is pretty much all torn up

5.  The playground 'jungle gym' is almost torn down entirely

6.  The border concrete sidewalks are all torn up

7.  The swingset is gone

Will a new playground be constructed? I hope so as that will be a real selling point to keeping young couples that are currently childless in the neighborhood after they start to have children.

Will a new playground be constructed? I hope so as that will be a real selling point to keeping young couples that are currently childless in the neighborhood after they start to have children.

I believe they are going to have a new playground.

BTW...I was mistaken about the pond - i took a more detailed look at the rendition and it's actually not pond, just a bunch of more open space. It was raining when i looked at it from my car...and yesterday i walked up to it...

From meetings I have attended Clark Condon and Associates (the firm rennovating the park) wanted the neighborhood to be very involved in the goal of the rennovation. One of the suggestions that I liked is the decomposed granite jogging trails. Anyone who runs at Memorial Park will testify to how much better this is on your knees.

As far as Root Memorial Park is concerned, I have a hard time believing that the "displaced homeless" will be welcomed back after the park is complete.

I can just see the ribbon cutting ceremony.....

Its going to look like the Oklahoma land rush, but with shopping carts in place of wagons.

• 2 weeks later...
I believe they are going to have a new playground.

BTW...I was mistaken about the pond - i took a more detailed look at the rendition and it's actually not pond, just a bunch of more open space.  It was raining when i looked at it from my car...and yesterday i walked up to it...

As I understand it there will be a few smaller play elements for children...but not a large obtrusive piece as existed before. B)

• 2 weeks later...