Sign in to follow this  
j_cuevas713

Old Wendy's off Westheimer

j_cuevas713    1,241

What's up with the old Wendys off Westheimer in Montrose? I knew that place would eventually close doors due to the nicer things around it, any idea on plans for the land?

qtguy    2

What's up with the old Wendys off Westheimer in Montrose? I knew that place would eventually close doors due to the nicer things around it, any idea on plans for the land?

Does anyone know what the new establishment is?  I noticed the old building is being remodled into something bigger and hopefully better. 

skwatra    371

I heard a patio type bar was going in from a friend who lives around there, but didn't see anything official.

swtsig    2,306

I heard a patio type bar was going in from a friend who lives around there, but didn't see anything official.

Doc watsons from austin... Big patio, open air type spot on soco. It will def be a nice addition to the area. Really liking the concentration of casual spots there - doc's, royal oak, catbirds, hay merchant, boondocks, anvil, the new bar being built next door to boondocks, pistoleros

• Like 1

Its Doc's motorworks (I think thats who you meant). Their facebook page confirms:

Construction for Doc's Motorworks in Houston on Westheimer & Yupon is set to begin and fundraising is going great! We're getting excited for another Doc's to add to our family! Get on board and get excited with us!

scarface    107

What i don't understand is why they closed the Wendy's and their is a Mcdonald's right across the street. Seems like if Wendy's wasn't a fit then the McD's wouldn't be either?

scarface    107

Maybe because they're two independent businesses?

Uhhh? I know they're independent businesses.

But i was assuming that the Wendy's closed because it wasn't keeping up with the current vision for that area. That whole area is changing and it seems that since Wendy's and McDonald's  are the same type of businesses, i was wondering why both of them couldn't remain.

barracuda    344

Who's vision for the area?

According to HCAD records, McDonald's real estate corporation owns the property for the location at Westheimer and Commonwealth. They seem to do a steady business at that location. I don't see how it relates to the closing and demo of a nearby Wendy's franchise location that seemed to be empty most of the time. 

swtsig    2,306

But i was assuming that the Wendy's closed because it wasn't keeping up with the current vision for that area. That whole area is changing and it seems that since Wendy's and McDonald's are the same type of businesses, i was wondering why both of them couldn't remain.

That's pretty specious reasoning. Why would mcdonalds (or any business for that matter) care about the "current vision for that area"? Businesses close bc they either aren't performing, are forced to (lease not renewed) or were given an incentive to close (offer they couldn't refuse). Don't over think this.

scarface    107

Who's vision for the area?

According to HCAD records, McDonald's real estate corporation owns the property for the location at Westheimer and Commonwealth. They seem to do a steady business at that location. I don't see how it relates to the closing and demo of a nearby Wendy's franchise location that seemed to be empty most of the time. 

Ok. You could've just said this in the beginning.

This remodel will expand the existing structure pretty significantly -- it won't be recognizable. Expect the patio to border the sidwalk in front -- should be a nice size. Will go well along with El Real and Royal Oak for bringing the patio life out to the street and sidewalk.

HoustonMidtown    2,748

This remodel will expand the existing structure pretty significantly -- it won't be recognizable. Expect the patio to border the sidwalk in front -- should be a nice size. Will go well along with El Real and Royal Oak for bringing the patio life out to the street and sidewalk.

Pic of the current state of remodel here...seems to me it would have been cheaper just to level the old place and start over....

http://swamplot.com/austin-bar-docs-to-remedy-montrose-wendys-wreckage/2013-08-15/

bachanon    400

lower westheimer sidewalks are due for a major overhaul.  all of this montrose activity would be enhanced by better sidewalks

skwatra    371

I had no idea that sidewalks where the owner's responsibility. Where I grew up it was always fixed automatically (which I thought was by the city), but I'm guessing that was done by the HOA.

Luckily my street is in pretty good shape, but most other streets I run on around Montrose are pretty bad. In a street with a torn up sidewalk the length of 20 houses, what is going to get one owner to shell out $$ when that won't make a contiguous walkable sidewalk anyways? I guess it has to start somewhere, but I don't see it happening without the city stepping in somehow. And as far as commercial goes, we rarely have a stretch without an empty lot or some owner that has no motivation to fix their sidewalks.

• Like 1

fatesdisastr    510

I say good luck to the city if they try to choose mandating a sidewalk tax after they have screwed over citizens with the water run off tax that didn't work. 

• Like 1

skwatra    371

The Chron article mentioned a program with a set contractor and rate/ft. That alone would be really helpful for people to do it themselves, and of course a subsidy would really help.

• Like 1

kylejack    849

But i was assuming that the Wendy's closed because it wasn't keeping up with the current vision for that area. That whole area is changing and it seems that since Wendy's and McDonald's  are the same type of businesses, i was wondering why both of them couldn't remain.

If Wendy's was renting from a landlord then maybe they were pushed out by rising rents. If McDonald's franchise owner owns their property then they're not paying rent and can stay as long as they want provided they pay their taxes, regardless of what's appropriate for the area. There's plenty of factors we don't know.