10 Waterway Ave: Office Building In The Woodlands

lockmat

Wow so there are two condo high rise proposals along the waterway.

http://impactnews.com/articles/woodlands-development-company-plans-large-scale-town-center-projects

10 Waterway was mentioned in this article:

http://app.newsletter.bisnow.com/e/es.aspx?s=2636&e=9628&elq=b4a6a7105cb4433da3dc32a86f82d594

It says that it is going to be 600k SF I assumed it would be a office building.

yup. that must be the 600k square foot building. howard hughes sucks. they are going to completely f up the waterway square plan by placing a really tall building right on the waterway. it takes away from the human scale originally planned around waterway square.. they are going for bang for the buck. it dwarfs the brownstones and lofts. i can see they are giddy to maximize profits at the cost of good planning. just stick the most square footage where the demand is greatest regardless of the scale. ridiculous. booooooo!

It is interesting that they decided to build one 600k SF building when they still have other parcels of land to still build on. I wonder why they decided to build such a large building when they could build several smaller sized buildings on their other parcels. Maybe they have a company in mind that is looking for that amount of SF. I also find it interesting that they decided to break ground on their Hughes Landing development before building out their entire Waterway Square development.

• Like 1

that's just it fortune........there were three shorter buildings planned for the "super block" on the south side of waterway square...that opened up to and complimented waterway square on the north and now this monstrosity. it wouldn't bother me so much if it was offset from the waterway, like 24 waterway in front of the fountain. 24 waterway is 14 stories and set back. the hotel will be similar to 24 waterway in height (at least it was, who knows now).

i can't tell from the rendering, but retail on the first floor and around the second fountain would soften it at the pedestrian level. at least that may still happen.

it just rubs me wrong....like "hughes landing" at lake woodlands. they are abandoning even the "woodlands way" of naming things. hughes landing is a pr name for the howard hughes corporation. just stupid.

don't get me wrong...i love a new tall structure just for the childlike satisfaction it brings; but why mess with a good thing? 10 waterway is TOO TALL for that location.

Yea these articles mention the three shorter buildings and the extension of Waterway Square south, there is even a rendering of the buildings. They are dated from February of this year so hopefully they will still be built.

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/woodlands/news/waterway-square-extension-targeted-for/article_f8e287bd-9fde-56d4-b37a-59fdbc5aebd9.html?mode=story

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2012/02/the-woodlands-considers-developing.html

• Like 1

if you look at the map, the three shorter building are on timberloch. the big building, 10 waterway, looks like a mixed use with parking. residential brownstones or townhomes lining the waterway square "extension" from the waterway to timberloch and more residential on the south side of timberloch behind the three shorter buildings. oh well, i wonder if they will have pre-construction discounts on the residential.......

the existing anadarko tower is 800,000 square feet with what appears to be a narrower floor plate; hence the taller structure. also, consider that 10 waterway avenue may have retail facing the waterway, the extended waterway square south and facing waterway avenue......around the perimeter of the parking garage.

that's just it fortune........there were three shorter buildings planned for the "super block" on the south side of waterway square...that opened up to and complimented waterway square on the north and now this monstrosity. it wouldn't bother me so much if it was offset from the waterway, like 24 waterway in front of the fountain. 24 waterway is 14 stories and set back. the hotel will be similar to 24 waterway in height (at least it was, who knows now).

i can't tell from the rendering, but retail on the first floor and around the second fountain would soften it at the pedestrian level. at least that may still happen.

it just rubs me wrong....like "hughes landing" at lake woodlands. they are abandoning even the "woodlands way" of naming things. hughes landing is a pr name for the howard hughes corporation. just stupid.

don't get me wrong...i love a new tall structure just for the childlike satisfaction it brings; but why mess with a good thing? 10 waterway is TOO TALL for that location.

well then you won't like the 45+ story tower they've "proposed" on super block east...

http://www.thewoodla...sq_brochure.pdf found superblock east. it appears there are two towers with distinct features outlined. i'm not sure where the estimate for a floor count is coming from.

well obviously not from that :)

Super block east abutting I-45... it looked nearly twice the height of anadarko's new tower. like i said, it could very well be a pie-in-the-sky "proposal" on HHC's part, but that's what they have depicted on the material i've seen. i have zero knowledge of it beyond that.

• 6 months later...

there is a new rendering floating around for 10 waterway.  apparently, it's been in houston business journal.  i haven't come across a digital copy.  i saw it at the economic outlook conference last month.  has anyone seen this new rendering or have a copy?

I get the hbj and I have not seen it but I must admit I've been lax in my reading of it lately. The other day when you were asking for the rendering in the digital copy it wasn't in the hard, but I'll double check.

• Like 1

Actually this one looks more like Energy Center III that broke ground in the Energy Corridor this January rather than the new BBVA building near the Galleria.  Almost an exact copy (with slight modifications) so probably the same architect.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2013/01/keep-an-eye-on-energy-center-three.html?s=image_gallery

Edited by HOUSTONIAN (N-ATL)