https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/08/07/midway-ceo-shares-updates-on-east-river-project.html

East River will be developed in phases, Brinsden said. Phase I will include retail, entertainment, office, multifamily, single-family homes and potentially a grocery component. It'll sit on the east side of the property, and future phases will work their way westward.

The East River's future phases will work westward as TxDOT's planned highway improvements are completed. Brinsden said Midway's done a complete master-plan on the project and is in the midst of designing Phase I.

"The idea is that each phase could be its own fully, self-contained mixed-use project," Brinsden said. "We’ll work our way through it over time."

• Like 3

I'm surprised that they would develop the east side first. Maybe they have potential anchor tenants. If so, that would allow for the development of land around the company. Over the next 5 years, there will be an additional 400 homes to the existing 400 new homes in the area. They will need to coordinate around the TXDOT project becuase people wont visit if there is a giant traffic jam right in the middle of the project.

• Like 2

They were discussing a few different routes for an East End streetcar.. I'm not sure any decisions were ever made or if discussion of a streetcar progressed much further past that point though. Hopefully they revisit the idea as the area gets built up.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/11-02-12-its-full-speed-ahead-on-streetcars-in-eado-public-transit-plans-routes-are-revealed/#slide=3

IMG_1602.JPG.9803e0c582f23f70b0f61e7ef4d764d4.JPGIMG_1603.JPG.429297a0ff37098a69bbec9e03703ab8.JPGIMG_1604.JPG.c1dfc706a414d0c174af738df0570f45.JPG

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, cspwal said:

Also - there's a railroad museum?

A nice one, too.

http://www.kingswayrc.com/gcst/

They have a restored M-K-T passenger car, caboose (MKT 6), SP caboose (4696), a couple of old switchers (one of which is an old HB&T unit), and a helium tank car. Weird, weird looking car to say the least. Last I saw these pieces of equipment, they were being stored off of Navigation, just west of Sampson/York, on an old rail spur. I believe the museum is moving, but have heard nothing recently concerning its venue change.

Edited by Purpledevil
dyslexia kicked in on the caboose number
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, cloud713 said:

Yeah, I like alternate 1 the best, due to the downtown connectivity and the loop down Clinton.

Is the railroad museum at that old rail round table thing? I had been wondering about those random rail cars on the spur.

It was off of Mesa Drive. They used two out of service sidings to house the cars for several years. This was around the time they restored the M-K-T and Southern Pacific cabeese. I don't recall a turntable there, cloud. Only turntable that I vividly recollect in East End is the one at the Milby St. shops at York and Milby.

This is the video of the museum equipment being moved onto the Canal St. spur. The spur doesn't see a lot of activity, as you will see below.

Edited by Purpledevil
  • Like 3

Milby Street sounds familiar. I've been meaning to drive by and try to

catch a glimpse of the turntable, but every time I'm in the area I forget..

Thanks for the video! Those rail cars seemed to have been sitting there for so long that I was starting to come up with ideas for how to incorporate them into a new development/repurposing of that warehouse at the end of the spur.. Haha. 

If they were to do an artist oriented development at the warehouse that the spur dead ends into (on the south side of the bayou across from KBR), kind of like the Silos on Sawyer development, some old rail cars on the abandoned tracks could make for a unique industrial vibe that houses individual art gallery/installation space, as a throw back to the sites former industrial heritage.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

So.... speculation is that they had a trailer on their property for 1 year to establish a Board of Directors that could vote on bonds. The trailer is now gone, which means the vote has happened (Or so some people think). It would be interesting if they published it somewhere.

It would be public record if they did. A trailer has nothing to do with a Board of Directors. You might be thinking of the process for a new MUD, which needs residents to vote on the initial bonds. The Management District already has residents, etc.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 79ta said:

DAY 1?

From the article: 

Day 1 is the name assigned successively to 3 different Amazon buildings in Seattle, the latest a new 37-story downtown tower that itself features a lit-up sign on its lower floors that reads HELLO WORLD. Day 1 is also a common catchphrase in the company, a reminder to itself, among other things, to focus on outcomes rather than process and to make decisions quickly,even if you have less information available than you’d like.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...