Shell Woodcreek Campus Phase III At 150 N. Dairy Ashford Rd.

Pleak

My comments above pertain to the design of office buildings/towers and not to the overall design or planning of a city.

Yes, a city should be more walkable and urban. Especially when you're not at work.

No, it's not a good thing to walk most of the day between buildings - getting battered by the elements in the process. Especially at work.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My comments above pertain to the design of office buildings/towers and not to the overall design or planning of a city.

Yes, a city should be more walkable and urban. Especially when you're not at work.

No, it's not a good thing to walk most of the day between buildings - getting battered by the elements in the process. Especially at work.

So you kind of missed my original point which is that the vast majority of people in a company interact with a small percentage of the company and that can be grouped into a single building.  If you're spending most of the day walking between buildings, you're either part of an extremely small percentage or the person that laid out the internal design of the buildings did a horrible job.

Isn't this entire statement pretty much an oxymoron?

Isn't this entire statement pretty much an oxymoron?

I regularly cringe when LTAWACS makes any comments, but I get their point here.  Sure we all want a more walkable/urban city but having to walk 1/4 mile at work between meetings is not always desirable, especially in inclement weather.

I regularly cringe when LTAWACS makes any comments, but I get their point here.  Sure we all want a more walkable/urban city but having to walk 1/4 mile at work between meetings is not always desirable, especially in inclement weather.

If you want a walkable city and lifestyle, you have to get over it. I used to live in DC, and walked to and from work everyday - just like the majority of people that lived in the city. You walk regardless of the weather, rain, snow, cold, hot (and the summers there are just as hot and humid as here, but only for 6-8 weeks). You just need to wear the proper attire.

If you want a walkable city and lifestyle, you have to get over it. I used to live in DC, and walked to and from work everyday - just like the majority of people that lived in the city. You walk regardless of the weather, rain, snow, cold, hot (and the summers there are just as hot and humid as here, but only for 6-8 weeks). You just need to wear the proper attire.

Just wondering, did you also walk in the elements during your work shift or only when coming and leaving work?

It's fine, I take it that "all the time" means during a work day, evenings and weekends.

Some people can manage or are used to being out walking in the heat.  Speaking only for myself, I could never go out and take a walk on a hot day anywhere without getting all sweaty.  So I would prefer one building to hold everyone.  That's just me but every company will do what they want.  Either way, I would manage and if needed, I'll take time to freshen up after a walk, and that would be my excuse if I arrived late.

know that many people here are all in on finding any argument at all to build the tallest buildings possible, but this really is stretching it.  The original comment was about a completely different complex, not even discussing the location in the topic and talked about traveling a distance of 270 feet, less than the distance of a football field between buildings.  No one has addressed what the actual distance between buildings is at Shell.  No one has addressed my prior comments about how frequently it is actually necessary to leave the building throughout the course of a normal day. 

People on this forum complain about the lack of street level retail in downtown.  If you're unwilling to walk 270 feet outside during the workday, then that probably explains why restaurants thrive in the tunnels and not on the streets.

People on this forum complain about the lack of street level retail in downtown. If you're unwilling to walk 270 feet outside during the workday, then that probably explains why restaurants thrive in the tunnels and not on the streets.

I still say any retail district in downtown needs to be lined with overhead horizontal roman shades that can be extended out when necessary, or have some other sort of a permanent canopy to provide protection from the summer heat and those pesky rainstorms that come out of nowhere..

Good points though..

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates on the work going on here? There's definitely a crane up and something being built behind the eastern 12-story building (not sure if it's 3 or 4). Is it another 12-story building, another 6-story building, or something else entirely? Whatever it is, it's kind of tough to see from the highway but it appears to be on roughly the 3rd floor at this point.

• 1 month later...

Any updates on the work going on here? There's definitely a crane up and something being built behind the eastern 12-story building (not sure if it's 3 or 4). Is it another 12-story building, another 6-story building, or something else entirely? Whatever it is, it's kind of tough to see from the highway but it appears to be on roughly the 3rd floor at this point.

Saw this one from the freeway, but didn't get to stop anywhere in the Energy Corridor during my last visit. Looked relatively substantial, maybe 6-7 stories at this point and still adding floors.

Anyone know any more about this newer building under construction?

• 1 month later...

yep and they are almost done with the third 12 story and after that one is complete then they will start with the 4th one and the second a park or 8th floor parking garage. They also have more plans in the works for up to 8 of those 12 story building because they own all the property up the dairy Ashford and all the trees in between the daycare and the campus

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/2055-another-full-city-centre-tower/

63679_1403217456_WoodbranchJune2014-medi

... Pictured is Shell's Woodbranch campus on Dairy Ashford—two 12-story towers totaling 750k SF recently completed. Work is well underway on 375k SF Building 5, which'll bring the campus to 2.2M SF. But that's not all; David hears Shell is gearing up Building 6.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Am at this campus several times a week, and it is flat horrible. Obviously the view from the Katy freeway is hideous, but just inside of the front gate is terrible as well. On top of that, the only views that are worthwhile from inside the campus is directly west (if your high enough) and directly north (if your in one of the older buildings). Just a terrible design imo.

Am at this campus several times a week, and it is flat horrible. Obviously the view from the Katy freeway is hideous, but just inside of the front gate is terrible as well. On top of that, the only views that are worthwhile from inside the campus is directly west (if your high enough) and directly north (if your in one of the older buildings). Just a terrible design imo.

Minions shouldn't be looking at the buildings or the view.  Heads down and WORK!!!!  :angry:

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

• 1 month later...

Archived