Oshman's Sporting Goods Stores

blue92

I actually worked there in high school. Dream job, got to skate around all day, it was great.

The Oshman's family is from Houston, Marylin Oshman was CEO through the 90's and when they sold out to Gart Sports I believe. So now its Gart out west and Sports Authority here and the midwest. I feel like Oshman's used to be a little higher end for skates and skis and bikes, but Sports Authority doesn't carry as good of stuff. Now I just prefer Academy for every day things or higher end specialty stores when I need something unique.

Yes, initially there was talk that Walmart had not bought the very end warehouse on Maxwell at the feeder road. That's the one that had the first mural. Also, that the old motel property on the corner of Wayside and feeder was not in the package either.

Both properties eventually became part of the Walmart deal. Now, the only thing left is Taqueria Arandas and the other little side building on that property.

I'm curious about the palm trees and oaks that have been left standing. Will Walmart build around them?

Another thing that I wonder about, why haven't the demolition folks taken down the various sign poles that face Wayside...........

They've also left several power poles but I would think those will be relocated or removed before construction begins.

The first Oshman's I remember was the one at Palm Center. It was at the opposite end of the mall from the Penney's store, right next to the Lewis and Coker grocery store. I remember going to this store often, usually after having eaten at the old Thornhill's cafeteria.

The other higher end sporting goods store was Holts. The only one I remember was downtown, but I believe there were more. Does anyone remember Heights Tackle House? I remember going there in the 50's BEFORE going fishing in Galveton Bay. They must have opened around 5:00 AM.

In the early days Foley's was probably their biggest competition. They had a great sporting goods department.

Remember when you used to be able to buy guns and knives at Foley's? When I was a kid I used to admire the full-sized Bowie knife that was on display in the knife case at the Greenspoint Foley's, but unfortunately my savings didn't stretch much further than a basic folding Buck knife.

I can't pinpoint when they got rid of the sporting goods, but I'd guess it was sometime in the 1980s.

Remember when you used to be able to buy guns and knives at Foley's? When I was a kid I used to admire the full-sized Bowie knife that was on display in the knife case at the Greenspoint Foley's, but unfortunately my savings didn't stretch much further than a basic folding Buck knife.

I can't pinpoint when they got rid of the sporting goods, but I'd guess it was sometime in the 1980s.

Probably around the same time they also got rid of the record department. I distinctly remember grudgingly going to Memorial City Foleys in the late 70s with my mom, who was taking my brother to get his Boy Scouts uniforms, because I had babysitting money and Zeppelin's In Through the Out Door had just come out, which I HAD to get and I was grounded from going to the mall with my friend's older brother who was old to enough to have a license. Which is a funny story because I was grounded for smoking weed, but as soon as I got it home my dad would take to playing that album when he was 'in his shop' for long periods of time.

I remember going to the one on the North Freeway just south of Aldine Bender with my parents when I was a kid back in the 80s. It was in the Northgate Shopping Center next to Sherwin Williams and Firestone. I think there is an Affordable Furniture store there now. I seem to recall there being one in Greenspoint Mall called Oshman's Outlet. Can anyone confirm this?

• 1 month later...

I remember going to the one on the North Freeway just south of Aldine Bender with my parents when I was a kid back in the 80s. It was in the Northgate Shopping Center next to Sherwin Williams and Firestone. I think there is an Affordable Furniture store there now. I seem to recall there being one in Greenspoint Mall called Oshman's Outlet. Can anyone confirm this?

The one you are talking about in Northgate was an Oshman's Warehouse Outlet.I worked there from '81 until April of '84.I was an assistant manager. The one in Greenspoint was a regular store.I was short and had kinda bushy hair..You probably wouldn't remember me though.

I actually worked there in high school. Dream job, got to skate around all day, it was great.

The Oshman's family is from Houston, Marylin Oshman was CEO through the 90's and when they sold out to Gart Sports I believe. So now its Gart out west and Sports Authority here and the midwest. I feel like Oshman's used to be a little higher end for skates and skis and bikes, but Sports Authority doesn't carry as good of stuff. Now I just prefer Academy for every day things or higher end specialty stores when I need something unique.

Which one did you work at? do you remember any of the corporate guys?Bailey? Ovieda?Titus?Rosemond(sp)?(I worked with his daughters out at the Outlet in North Houston.

I remember my Dad bought my brother and I our first shotguns for Christmas in 1960 at the Meyerland Oshmans. Used to find some great deals there, but for the most part, they were on the more upscale price line, but mostly better quality that I could not afford at the time. :(

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was driving on the west beltway the other day and was surprised to see a Barcelona Sports store there. When I played little league ball in the early 70's Barcelona is where we went for equipment (not the current one on BW8 of course).

• 5 weeks later...

Didn't they have a "ski slope" in the back to try out gear?

Htx

I know this is a late response but I've been absent from this site for a couple years and decided to peruse it again.  Many of the Oshmans had "ski slopes"(like a giant sloping treadmill) where you could demo items and I think they had some kind of training classes you could pay for as well.  I was still a kid when Oshman's closed but I always wanted to try that slope.

I believe the one out at Memorial and Willobrook had basketball courts with a kids court area sectioned off as well.  I spent most of my time there while my dad looked at fishing gear. 

Anyone go to the Oshman's, in Webster, back in the '90s and early '00s? I remember playing basketball with my dad and brother there. They also had baseball batting room and small golf course. It later turned into a boring Sports Authority. They closed the basketball court and turned it into a storage room.

I think there was a regular Oshman's in Post Oak Mall, though it was a regular (not SuperSports) store. I also remember it in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure where Ghengis Khan trashes one location (it was a stupid movie, but it makes sense in context)

Archived