Taft St. Coffee At 1100 Elder St.

worldlyman

I've been to Taft St. Coffee in the Montrose a few times. Have always enjoyed that quiet character in an industrial-vibe coffee house.

So the wife and I went to get some beverages and to kick back yesterday afternoon...and just in time for the Ecclesia service, the alt-Christian denomination (I suppose "where the sacred and secular intersect") that owns it.

The pastor said on the monitor (we remained in the coffee house part) that the church is moving to Elder St.

The scene was pretty cool...lots of the pretty people milling around. Considering that, the vibe felt fairly chummy.

I asked a barista on the way out if the coffee house was going too, and he said, "Yeah, probably."

The coffee house is part of that church, so I would presume it would go also.

If so, I am going to miss that location on Taft St. The wacky Fairview St. commercial collection is surely going to miss a great coffee spot back there...

(I doubt that we will go out of our way to go to the coffee house on 1100 Elder once they move there.)

Isn't that the place that has had lots of parking issues ?

There is another thread that asks the question "what's up with Ecclesia church"

it's about the parking and noise issues that drive the surrounding residents nuts.

I knew they had purchased a warehouse http://www.chron.com/life/houston-belief/article/Ecclesia-provides-service-for-the-least-of-these-1699889.php

so I guess this is a new property?

On Sunday, when their service was about to start, I didn't notice anything overbearing with parking.

Plus, dining/bar establishment like Ziggy's, Boheme and Fairview Bar are very near. It's the Montrose, so I for one am not sure why they say parking is an issue because of Taft St. Coffee.

On Sunday, when their service was about to start, I didn't notice anything overbearing with parking.

Plus, dining/bar establishment like Ziggy's, Boheme and Fairview Bar are very near. It's the Montrose, so I for one am not sure why they say parking is an issue because of Taft St. Coffee.

Not sure if you are a nearby resident or if the Sunday you were there didn't have as many cars as usual. But just my own experience. . . . . .

Most of the street parking is used by residents--there isn't a lot of choice as not everyone has a garage or driveway. Many times it's an additional 50 cars or more trying to park close to that church. The church tried to offer off site parking at Taft and gray. There was a shuttle of sorts, but not many took advantage of it. A lot of the nearby streets, are quite narrow, some don't have curbs and sidewalks just a ditch, so it seems people park more into the street---on both sides of the street. So trying to just drive down those streets was a hassle.

More than a few times, cars would park with bumpers protruding into driveways or park so close to a corner that visibility of cross traffic was compromised.The residents were fairly proactive to call HPD parking and tow trucks etc. Just an all around mess.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a resident there but the location considering the other bars and restaurants nearby, it just seemed like another packed Montrose neighborhood with mixed residences and businesses. That Sunday was quite full of people in there and I didn't see anything chaotic about the street as far as parking or traffic. It didn't seem like a cruising circus or anything.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • The title was changed to Taft St. Coffee Moving To Elder St.
  • The title was changed to Taft St. Coffee At 1100 Elder St.

Archived