Park Place | River Oaks: Mixed-Use Development At Westheimer Rd. & Mid Ln.

lockmat

seriously??? i think that looks terrific, particualrly for the area. love the way they are coming right up to midlane with curbside parking.

just goes to show you can't please everyone.

I think it's decent. Mabey it's just the fact that it's cloudy and depressing in the background or that it's completely empty. (I'm talking about the pedestrians) Edited by Sky-guy

I think it's decent. Mabey it's just the fact that it's cloudy and depressing in the background or that it's completely empty. (I'm talking about the pedestrians)

"The architect got creative, and the sky in the rendering depicts a Houston summer thunderstorm scene."

• Like 1

I just want to point out an observation from the rendering. Look at the building on the right. It gets 9 stories easily and keeps going until the picture cuts it off where as the multifamily next to it is 8 definitely. In between is a car entrance and a building connector. They will probably build in phases and release renderings for each part subsequently after one another.

• Like 1

Yes. Or at least they were doing serious site prep for it when I drove by. Men in hard hats driving large machinery around the dirt site..

That's what I saw myself. They have the whole area fenced off and are doing some serious dirt moving. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the buildings on the opposite side (west) of Mid Lane have already been demolished and there appears to be some kind of construction work going on.  I know that Crappitto's Restaurant has announced they will move into one of the new buildings there, and perhaps Capone's (not sure if I read that or not).

I don't know who the developer is.  I suspect its not the one developing the east side of Mid Lane.  Does anyone know?

• Like 1

This looks great and ROD already has a big "feel" to it.

I think High Street was a total failure. It looks like hardly anyone has moved into the building and considering rents will most likely be comparable at these better looking places, why would anyone choose this one?

Once River Oaks 'district' is up and running you will not be able to distinguish it from High Street, Mid Lane, Westcreek, Highland Tower, etc. It will all be known as "The River Oaks District".  High Street is far from a failure, rather genius if you ask me. They will get all of the benefits of being next to upscale shops of ROD because they had the foresight to develop first out of the recession and knew ROD was coming. 

The connectivity issue that others have mentioned is way overblown IMO. If you can walk to each individual development without having to cross major thoroughfares like Westheimer, San Felipe or train tracks, then its all fairly 'connected'.

The existing Target will most certainly be redeveloped within the next few years (if their real estate folks have half a brain). That parking lot takes up way too much high dollar land and acres of parking is not it's highest and best use. Maybe they can rebuild a more urban store as they have in other cities. 

I love the intimate feel this area is developing (organically). It will have a City Centre feel to it, only better because it's seated within Houston's "it" area (Uptown/Galleria) AND there has been a mix of developers and architects contributing to it over time which gives it a more authentic feel. ROD probably more accurately represents the center of Houston and is still within the "loop". 

Just my 2 cents, I've been watching this area come together for 3-4 years.  Actually ROD, Regents Square and everything happening Downtown/Midtown are the urban developments I am most anticipating!

Edited by HOUSTONIAN (N-ATL)
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Very good news, but Westheimer will be a parking lot! People stuck in traffic will cut through Afton Oaks. I wish there was a plan for Westheimer.

And just imagine when a train comes through the area and completely shuts down Westheimer. It's going to look like a Hurricane Rita evacuation is going down.

And just imagine when a train comes through the area and completely shuts down Westheimer. It's going to look like a Hurricane Rita evacuation is going down.

I think you'd be surprised. I think a lot of westheimer folks would ride that train.

When I lived on Westheimer 10 years ago many of us would ride the 53 bus to escape the traffic. Anyone remember westheimer before it got repaved in 2002 or 2003ish? The backups now are nothing compared to back then.

I think if the choice is so sit through thus or do sudoku puzzles while someone else takes you to work, I think a lot of purple would ride this. Especial if the rail runs all the way passed the beltway

I think you'd be surprised. I think a lot of westheimer folks would ride that train.

When I lived on Westheimer 10 years ago many of us would ride the 53 bus to escape the traffic. Anyone remember westheimer before it got repaved in 2002 or 2003ish? The backups now are nothing compared to back then.

I think if the choice is so sit through thus or do sudoku puzzles while someone else takes you to work, I think a lot of purple would ride this. Especial if the rail runs all the way passed the beltway

he wasnt advocating rail down Westheimer. he was saying when a train crosses Westheimer at the tracks west of Highland Village that it will completely shut Westheimer down for short periods of time, and traffic will take forever to recover.

i still like the subway down Westheimer idea though, since there is no room to expand ROW here. or implement my streetcar plans to connect BLVD Place, Westcreek, ROD, Mid Lane, and Highland Village. heh

• Like 1

he wasnt advocating rail down Westheimer. he was saying when a train crosses Westheimer at the tracks west of Highland Village that it will completely shut Westheimer down for short periods of time, and traffic will take forever to recover.

This.