Winterland Ice Skating Rink At 2400 Norfolk St.

Does anyone remember the Winterland Ice Skating Rink located at 2400 Norfolk? This is right off of Kirby kind of behind the Ninfas. The owners name was Charles or Chuck Rolland, I believe. If anyone has a pic to share that would be cool. I would really like to see what the place looked like. I am doing some research on the early 60s in Houston and that place plays a big part. Thanks a bunch!

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I remember the winterland ice skating rink very well. I skated there for years. It was my get away place. I love that place and have many happy memories there.  I don't think the building is even there anymore. During the time I skated there,there was a man named Larry Ross who was a famous skater from Canada. Held a medal from Canada I believe.  Anyway, that place was my whole bit of happy childhood. When i went there I was happy. Oh and the owner's name was Johnny Carson and he had a brother that was a hi-way patrol man,his name was Sonny Carson. I remeber this well because, Mr. Johnny Carson gave me my first pair of ice skates. I was so Happy! No more rent skates. I was almost like the rich kids. Now this is history.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I use to skate there often as a kid in the early 70's. So I thought I would share some info on the place. The Houston Youth Hockey Organization (HYHO) used the facility which is what drew me to the rink. And the rink also offered figure skating lessons taught by a former Canadian gold metalist figure skater I only knew as Mr. Ross. Later in 1978-79 it was turned into a Rock&Role dance clud that was DJed by 101's "Running Radio" personality "Crash" until the neighbors complaints forced it's closing, it was a rocking swing place while it lasted. I think last I remembered it bacame a dry cleaners. Sorry no photos, just fond memories...   

Edited by James Musslewhite

• 5 months later...

I skated there many years under Larry R. The people that started it before the Roland bought it were Boots and Ronnie Roberts. Those blades in the cement out front were from a pair of boots skates. I used to be very close to their family. Would love to know where their daughter Rhonda is. She had twins in the late '70's and last I knew was teaching at Sharpstown. I may have a pic or two of winterland. I'll look

Sorry, from Boot''s skates. Hard to type on phone

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I skated there many years under Larry R. The people that started it before the Roland bought it were Boots and Ronnie Roberts. Those blades in the cement out front were from a pair of boots skates. I used to be very close to their family. Would love to know where their daughter Rhonda is. She had twins in the late '70's and last I knew was teaching at Sharpstown. I may have a pic or two of winterland. I'll look

Sorry, from Boot''s skates. Hard to type on phone

Rhonda and Greg were best friends , I wento school with her and we dida few things togther. Her brother Greg Roberts is a Banker in Sugarland last time I talked to him. Rhonda's married name was Buchannon, I talked to her about 20 years ago, I think she was instructing. Last time I got ahold of them it was thru Roland "petey" Roberts their older brother in the 90s. Bootls lived withRoland a few streets over from us in High School. She was nice but strange, hated germs.

Greg and I worked up in Chicago with his Dad Ronnie. Of course Rhonda and Greg and I would visit Winterland and I looked the fool compared to them.

• Like 1

I remember it, too.  I used to skate there some, in the early to mid 60s.  I didn't remember the address, though, just the sort-of location.  I've often thought of it, driving through the area. So, "2400 Norfolk, kind of behind Ninfa's." That's good to know. That'll help my geographic nostalgia. Now I'll know where to look when I'm driving through the area.  I'll visualize it right there, behind the former Ninfa's, right off Kirby, at Norfolk.  :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Does anyone remember an ice skating rink called Winter Wonderland?  Looking back, I remember it as an absolutely magical place - worthy of its name.  We lived in Sharpstown and then Memorial, but I don't remember where the rink was.  I've visited the ice rink in The Woodlands, but it doesn't seem to have the same "magic" - probably because I'm not looking at it with the eyes of a child.  My 3-year-old-granddaughter was entranced.

• 1 month later...

I know it's been a while for this post, but like Marvel I skated at Winterland for about 5 yrs, 1969-1975 when I graduated from high school. I took lessons during that time from Larry Rost, a Canadian pair skater who did win medals at least as a Jr. level, need to look it up again. I have some pics of the interior, which was small, low ceiling but we loved it. If I can figure out how to upload my pics will do (oops seem to be too big). Sure wish I could find a pic of the outside - remembering the iconic Capades figure over the front entrance! Nice to find a few conversations about the place; I'm thinking of creating a facebook page for Memories of Winterland or such.

As I mentioned in my last post I did create a facebook group, called Winterland Ice Arena Houston Memories. I could not figure out how to reduce the size of my photos so that I could post them here, so they are shared on the facebook group, along with other details, news, more current photos involving ice skating. It is a public group so anyone should be able to access it, share memories, photos, current info if you want to, at least that's what I'm hoping it can do! I guess we'll see!

• 1 month later...

The Winterland Ice Arena Houston Memories facebook group is off & running with over 30 members now, sharing photos & comments, great memories. I'm not sure if anyone from this HAIF site is also in the group. There is a reunion of Winterland skaters planned for May 16 in Houston. Let me know if you want details about the place & time & I will get that info to you. I see on this site that Digitalcowboymagic was interested in photos, also Forest Maiden, HoustonIce, Subdude, JMerriman, James Musslewhite, Earlydays, tomcat, Hoop-98 seem to have the most history with Winterland, hope this info gets to you.

• Like 1

The Winterland Ice Arena Houston Memories facebook group is off & running with over 30 members now, sharing photos & comments, great memories. I'm not sure if anyone from this HAIF site is also in the group. There is a reunion of Winterland skaters planned for May 16 in Houston. Let me know if you want details about the place & time & I will get that info to you. I see on this site that Digitalcowboymagic was interested in photos, also Forest Maiden, HoustonIce, Subdude, JMerriman, James Musslewhite, Earlydays, tomcat, Hoop-98 seem to have the most history with Winterland, hope this info gets to you.

Thanks for posting this information!

• 1 month later...

A bunch of former Winterland Skaters are on Facebook. It is a private group but you can join if you skated there. We had a reunion yesterday at Picos. About 35 people cane, it was great.

Does anyone remember the Winterland Ice Skating Rink located at 2400 Norfolk? This is right off of Kirby kind of behind the Ninfas. The owners name was Charles or Chuck Rolland, I believe. If anyone has a pic to share that would be cool. I would really like to see what the place looked like. I am doing some research on the early 60s in Houston and that place plays a big part. Thanks a bunch!

• 1 year later...

I actually don't remember the winterland ice skating rink but I'm sitting here with Chuck Rollin who absolutely does he built it and owned it. He started the Junior Hockey League there and he's also the one who brought in Larry Ross from Canada. He has many many many pictures and it's turning 87 in September Chuck says that he sold the ice skating rink in the late sixties

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • The title was changed to Winterland Ice Skating Rink At 2400 Norfolk St.