Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OkieEric

Galveston's Medical Arts Building to Become Luxury Apartments

13 posts in this topic

From the Galveston County Daily news:

Developer and Houston attorney Andy Vickery has acquired the Medical Arts Building, 302 21st St. in Galveston’s downtown, with plans to develop 84 luxury apartments in what he said would be a secure, modernized, hurricane-resistant, historic building.

http://galvestondail...m/story/319850/

Awesome news! Two of the taller, vacant buildings in Galveston are to be renovated! I had noticed the work and progress at the Jean Lafitte hotel but wasn't sure what the story was there. Now if we can just get some news on the Martini Theater... With the cruise industry booming in Galveston I would have thought at least one of those towers would have made a nice boutique hotel

My wife loves Galveston so we actually bought a historic (weekend) home last year and now I love it, too. I'm biased but it seems like things are getting better

Edited by editor
Credit where credit is due. The Galveston County Daily News did the hard work for this story, not Swamplot.
1 person likes this

It wasn't that long ago that the Moody family literally gave the building away. There have been several attempts by interested parties to remodel this structure. I hope this one sticks.

The Moody family, which means American National Insurance Co., had held the entire block for years, as a site for potential expansion. Lately the company has been moving employees off the island to it's corporate site at South Shore Harbour in League City. So maybe, if the Medical Arts Building does take off, they could develop the rest of the block with something other than a surface parking lot.

This is great news. I go to Galveston fairly often, both for work and for getaways. It's a great example of a workable urbanism in Texas. I always hold out hope that some of my favorite abandoned buildings will find a new life.

A banner is now up, says will be available summer 2014 - 83 luxury apartments, plus some retail space available.  I think it must have been put up in just the last few weeks or I would have noticed it.  No large-scale work going on that I can see, but I'll take this as a positive sign

Also saw some headlines where a Dallas developer had the old Falstaff brewery under contract.  I'd honestly never really driven around there but checked it out today and can't imagine what they would do with it.  Looks like you could convert it into some cool lofts or something but it didn't seem like a good area / location IMO

The Falstaff Brewery building is in really bad shape. There are actually two sections, the older Magnolia Brewing building (early1900's) is on the north side of the property and the later and taller structure on the south end was built by Falstaff in the early 1960's. Magnolia brewed Southern Select beer until it was sold to Falstaff.

I was inside the property with a friend of the owner about 7-8 years ago. It was pretty crapped out inside. Salvagers had taken about everything they could. 

The hospitality room on the roof was all open to the elements, but still had the flagstone terrace and planter boxes intact. (We drank a beer up there).

My guide found a ledger that had hand written notes apparently from the last few weeks of brewing by the brew master, still opened to the last entry in one of the control rooms. Other stuff strewn around in the employee area indicated that things had shut down pretty unexpectedly. Falstaff had been taken over by a Mitt Romney type of investor in the late 70's and by the early 80's the assets were all gone.

Here's another building reno, 2011 Church Street (old Jean Lafitte Hotel). I'll take pics of the Medical Arts Building tomorrow.

9430202429_db4191e003_b.jpg

9430203357_e209fc9908_b.jpg

9430204193_1d40a66845_b.jpg

9432977920_319060663f_b.jpg

1 person likes this

Unfortunately, this one is not happening. The "Available Summer 2014" sign gone; for sale sign up.

Unfortunately, this one is not happening. The "Available Summer 2014" sign gone; for sale sign up.

Really?  They've opened up the back of the 6 floor addition.   I work nearby and I'll have to walk by later and see what it looks like is going on.

Last I heard it was going to be time shares.  83 of them.  So that averages out to around 700 sq ft per unit (roughly) as the Building is 80,000 sq ft - minus the 6,000 sq ft retail on the ground floor and assuming around 10,000 sq ft of the building is circulation space+mechanical?

You guys are right, sorry about that. Here's a pic I took this morning.

14329527876_5d42fc3dd8_b.jpg

1 person likes this

You guys are right, sorry about that. Here's a pic I took this morning.

14329527876_5d42fc3dd8_b.jpg

whew - flash fire drill ;)

After spending some time in Galveston last weekend I was researching some permitting data. Looks like this project may be a go again. 

Looks like the ITEX Group is planning a 72-unit apartment.

2 people like this