Alamo Drafthouse Midtown Theater At 2907 Louisiana St.

DrLan34

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/2012/05/alamo_drafthouse_will_open_in.php

Thats the link for their plans. They already closed the West Oaks location as promised. Are already in the works to open the new location in Vintage Park early next year. From that point I would assume they would begin construction on the Midtown location some time mid 2013.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"Its newest project will be a two-story building with a nine-screen Alamo Drafthouse Cinema occupying most of it.

On Louisiana between Tuam and Anita streets, the 50,000-square-foot building will have a five-story garage next door.

The company hopes to break ground in the first six months of next year."

http://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/Development-in-Midtown-on-an-upswing-3994538.php

• 1 month later...

Hopefully soon, I am growing tired of driving to edwards on 59 and paying for parking on top of an already overpriced movie ticket.

Then go to Sundance downtown. It's closer to Midtown, they'll comp your $7 parking, and for the same price as that lousy Edwards ticket you get high backed reserved seats in a theater that's actually clean and doesn't have a bunch of whiney teenagers who's parents dumped them off for three hours to ruin your movie.

Sundance is great. And you can buy a beer to go with your flick.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

While I doubt the Midtown location will open this year because I haven't seen any construction yet, hopefully this means ground breaking will happen sometime soon...

"The Alamo Drafthouse also plans to open its first inner-loop location later this year. It will be located in the Midtown area at 2901 Louisiana St. as part of a mixed-use project developed by Crosspoint Properties."

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2013/01/25/under-construction-work-underway-on.html

I emailed the author to find out if the Alamo CEO had specifically mentioned it and he apparently hadn't (although he hadn't been asked, so no indication either way).

You may notice I want an Alamo Drafthouse next to me. LOVE peeing during movies. But for real.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently its no longer going to be on Louisiana but will now be in Regent Square

http://www.chron.com/business/article/New-cinemas-in-Houston-give-luxury-a-starring-role-4276779.php?t=863144c6ed

That somewhat misstates the news.   They have announced a new locatino in Regent Square, but not as a replacement for the the Louisiana location.  The article says they are still committed to the Midtown market as well.

That somewhat misstates the news.   They have announced a new locatino in Regent Square, but not as a replacement for the the Louisiana location.  The article says they are still committed to the Midtown market as well.

I wouldn't say that it's a misstatement:

"Alamo Drafthouse had previously announced plans for a Midtown location at a proposed development on Louisiana, but Michaelsen said his group now is "reviewing alternate sites in Midtown for an Alamo and is committed to bringing the concept to that market."

And earlier in the article:

"...just announced that it will open a third location in the Inner Loop mixed-use project Regent Square, where it will also show outdoor movies in a park there."

No, the article says they're looking at other locations in Midtown. Sounds like 2901 Louisiana is canceled.

• Like 1