B.A. Shepherd Building At 219 Main St.

Yes, I spelled that right. Hou-storic. Get it?! Anyway, forgive me if this is already posted somewhere...I couldn't find it...

Edit: Benjamin A. Shepherd founded one of the first independent banks in Texas in 1854- Houston Savings Bank. In 1886; F.A. Rice - President; B.A. Botts, Vice-President.

A website I just discovered:

http://houstoricproject.com/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Neat site, but I think there is one error. The Pink Pussycat was in a building at Congress at Main which was demolished after a battle to preserve it. IIRC the owner brought in bulldozers in the middle of the night to start the demolition. The club had lost its lease and moved to Richmond west of Shepherd long before that. Not that I ever went to either location. Or parked on Congress next to the club......

Yep, the Pink Pussycat was at 219 Main St. where three buildings were demolished in 1983 (the

Sheppard Building, the Dumble Building, and South Texas National Bank building).

Just a few years later the Bethje-Lang building was demolished in the middle of the night - it was where the old Warren's used to be on the opposite side of where it is now in Market Square..

http://citemag.org/w...treet_Cite2.pdf

Thought I'd add a link to pictures of the demolished buildings. Thanks sevfiv for the names.

many thnx for that pdf link and info. I had heard differing comments when I first scouted for the Pink Pusscat Club. One mentioned that it was on Main, really close to the courthouse and that it had moved. I personally do not know too much about it and the internet makes it seem as if it never existed. I just found the location of where the sign was in the photo.

Perhaps it had 2 signs? One on the Main side and one on the back end of the building?

From at least the late 60s til it moved out of downtown in the 70s that club was in the building at main and congress, on the east side of main across from the hotel icon building, one block from the old courthouse. However, on a closer look at the picture on houstoric it looks like me that the rooflines of the cars in the foreground are all mid-60s, and the garage and fire escape indicate that that is the back of the hotel building. Maybe in the mid-60s it was located on franklin, which could make sense as that was the time of the first Market Square revival. During that period, which I was too young to enjoy, there were a lot of clubs, bars, and restaurants on the square and right off it, including the Cellar (is that right?) which was apparently a psychedelic rock kind of club, the Moulin Rouge, on of several strip clubs downtown in that era, with a neon windmill in front iirc, La bastille on franklin, and some restaurant that had a replica viking ship in it. I think that location in the 80s became a mexican restaurant, but I'm not sure. I've always wondered what happened to that boat because it got a huge write up in the paper when it went in, and then disappeared. Anyway, so maybe it was on Franklin about three blocks from the courthouse and then moved even closer.

many thnx for that pdf link and info. I had heard differing comments when I first scouted for the Pink Pusscat Club. One mentioned that it was on Main, really close to the courthouse and that it had moved. I personally do not know too much about it and the internet makes it seem as if it never existed. I just found the location of where the sign was in the photo.

Perhaps it had 2 signs? One on the Main side and one on the back end of the building?

The book "Last of the Past" shows the Pink Pussycat sign as angling out over the corner of Main and Congress.

Correct, it was on Main and Congress across Main Street from the old bank building. I do not believe it was ever on Franklin unless it was before 1967 when I started working in that area.

The caption on the Houstoric Project for the PP should be corrected.

the caption has been corrected, i thought it had been corrected months ago.

perhaps the update hadn't taken. thnx.

• 5 years later...
On 5/30/2012 at 11:47 AM, abrahang said:

Hi Abrahan-I thought I remembered Pink Pussycat being closer to the edge of downtown. Maybe Congress and Crawford? Or maybe I am dreaming? It might have been another hootchie cootchie kind of place? I remember there were pictures (or paintings) of women in circle (not square) frames in various stages of undress. And around the corner on the left side next to this place was an adult movie theater? I am going to pass by there sometime soon and take another look and see if anything looks familiar. Will get back to you on it.

Edited by OjazosNegros
omitted a word

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • The title was changed to Houstoric Project
  • The title was changed to B.A. Shepherd Building At 219 Main St.