Phillips 66 Headquarters In Westchase District

Pleak

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Oops.. Meant to post this a couple weeks ago.. Not a very good picture but the structure was up to the 4th or 5th floor by that point. Will both of the towers be steel framed or what? I would of figured it would be concrete like most other new high rises going up..

7C07CA1B-594F-4D75-B678-6D3DFD64D10D_zps

• 3 weeks later...

Getting taller..

If you look close enough you can see a skybridge framed out between the two, level with the floor below the top of the left tower. idk if we knew it had a skybridge or not. it obviously makes sense, but i havent seen any renderings from the front showing the space between the two towers to of known for sure that it had one until today.

802F990E-2951-4E46-9DDF-563245C1F228_zps

A few more details:

"Construction has commenced on the Phillips 66 Corporate Headquarters, a brand new campus comprised of two parallel towers measuring 13 and 15 stories respectively, a parking garage on 14.2 acres in the Westchase District of Houston. It includes a 9-level, cast-in-place, 1,105,000-GSF parking garage (one below grade) with level 8 being a recreation area and soccer field. Phillips 66's Houston employees are currently split among three separate sites. Phillips 66 plans to relocate all Houston employees to the new campus upon the development's completion. Phillips 66's spokesperson, Dean Acosta, commented on the goal of creating a centralized environment, "It will be a great place to bring all Houston employees to one campus and to continue building a high performance team." Located off of Beltway 8 between Westheimer Road and Briar Forest Drive, the campus will accommodate over 1,800 employees and includes a café, fitness center, credit union, and brand new training center. The three-year undertaking is W.S. Bellows' largest project to date, employing 1,000 workers and 100 subcontractors. The development is predicted to have a long-lasting positive effect on the economy of the area. The campus is intended to achieve at least a LEED Silver certification from the U.S. Green Building Council." www.wsbellows.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It reminds me of almost every single building in the E.C.

This building will be a little more unique than the others with the 11-12 story connecting "skybridge" cloud713 pointed out.

Driving by this site everyday, I've always thought the towers were a bit thin and too close together but now I think they will essentially look more like one building than two.

I'm more astounded by your inability to effectively manage your expectations.

Hrm... ok...

However, there is no reason why this should not have been much more "unique" or "different" than most other buildings out in this part of the metro. Or is there?

Hrm... ok...

However, there is no reason why this should not have been much more "unique" or "different" than most other buildings out in this part of the metro. Or is there?

Impressing people that drive by is not its purpose. The people that work in these buildings care more about how their cubicles are arranged and what is for sale in the deli that what the building looks like to passersby.

I'm in the middle of a move to a newly constructed building in the energy corridor right now. We've been discussing it for months and I've never heard one person in our company mention the architecture of the building. The height of the cubicle walls is a very hot topic though.

Impressing people that drive by is not its purpose. The people that work in these buildings care more about how their cubicles are arranged and what is for sale in the deli that what the building looks like to passersby.

I'm in the middle of a move to a newly constructed building in the energy corridor right now. We've been discussing it for months and I've never heard one person in our company mention the architecture of the building. The height of the cubicle walls is a very hot topic though.

You have a point. Most people aren't interested in architecture the way we are.

• 2 weeks later...

While most of these office buildings are mainly glass boxes in some variety, there's a lot of LEED office buildings going up that it appears to be the norm so hurrah for the environment. I'm no real estate expert but when would we be seeing a shift to more LEED upgrades and new buildings for class B and below? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had one when I was a kid...back in 1966.

Anyone know why they switched contractors?

Not sure what caused the switch, but removing W.S. Bellows and allowing Gilbane to finish the project is kind of foolish. Probably some company guys with big heads, talking like big shots, making unrealistic

demands on the contactor, backed themselves into a corner. They are also probably regretting their decision by now too.

W.S. Bellows is the premier general contactor in Houston. I can't see why anyone would remove them, but I guess so long as you keep all the prime subcontractors under contract, you'll still get a good outcome.

Maybe because the architecture was not worth mentioning? Most energy company employees probably don't think about architecture as a hobby, but I would be willing to bet that most people who work in a building like the Williams tower or BoA, or even the existing Conoco campus on I-10 have at some point thought, "Hey, this is a pretty neat building I work in."

A great building gives pride to the people who work in it, and can even help advertise the company. It's not unreasonable to hope that a Fortune 10 company would choose a distinctive and visible design for its headquarters, and Houston's architectural history is full of companies making such decisions. Too bad Phillips didn't.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived