Richmond Strip Dying On Richmond Ave.

segovia

Hello,

I was wondering why there are so many businesses closing their doors off Richmond. The closer you get to Hillcroft, the more of them you see. Is this related to crime or just lack of sustainable business?

Thank you.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More that the types of businesses that lined Richmond are moving to areas like Downtown, Midtown and Westchase. There's no real need for a Richmond Strip anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if you see a lot of these properties start changing over to garden style apartment developers or to more traditional strip centers that deal more in commercial goods than entertainment.

it's interesting to see that the residential areas in close proximity to the richmond strip area could not sustain the businesses that were there. people were coming from the burbs to those establishments. now, people from the burbs come downtown/midtown.

i went to the strip once and never returned. when restaurants like fat tuesdays couldn't survive, it was apparent that the money coming to the area was not being spent on food. ;) it felt more dangerous than lower westheimer in the early eighties.

The Richmond strip area seems dominated by older apartment complexes. There are several thriving adult shops as well. During the day, it seems pretty normal but at night, it comes alive with folks cruising and clubbing. The upper Richmond area near the Galleria mall has a lot of new residential development. I just hope it continues down the strip. It would be a shame to see the area wither into a neighborhood pocket of crime, prostitution, and neglect.

I remember when that place burned down. Malone - the radio guy at 104 - was practically in tears while reporting live from the scene.

That place burned down in 1989. malone wasn't around until 1992 or so. Plus 93Q was the staion that would broadcast out of that club. Say what you will about the club but it was anything but cheezy. Very few of the songs mixed there were played on radio stations. It helped propel the industrial dance movement and was a forbearer of modern house and trance. That club is known the world over dance-music wise.

Sheesh, all 6400 did was copy the real deal that started a few years before Power Tools and #s. Heck, you can even throw Cabaret Volatire (McKinney and Live Oak) into that category.

All 6400 did was take it mainstream.

I'll take Power Tools any day.

That place burned down in 1989. malone wasn't around until 1992 or so. Plus 93Q was the staion that would broadcast out of that club. Say what you will about the club but it was anything but cheezy. Very few of the songs mixed there were played on radio stations.  It helped propel the industrial dance movement and was a forbearer of modern house and trance.  That club is known the world over dance-music wise.

You sure abuot the radio stations? I still have some of the tapes I would record from the broadcasts.

I remember the 93QZoo and the afternoon jock... I forget his name. And I think you're confusing the guy who would do the zoogerizations with the 104 character. Or perhaps I am wrong... Can anyone shed some light on this?

I never knew Houston's 2600 as THE forebearer in that genre of muzak. I do know there were various DJ's in Chicago that were instrumental in this. The Garage, Paradise Loft, and Heaven were some of the more innovative clubs in Chicago during this period. I should know. I used to hang out with 2 In A Room, DJ Laz, and others.

we used to chase off richmond strip club types who wandered in to numbers and power tools. when we saw a pair of z cavarricci's we knew where they were from. we made "no z cavarricci" t-shirts to show our disdain. those were the days.

we used to chase off richmond strip club types who wandered in to numbers and power tools.  when we saw a pair of z cavarricci's we knew where they were from.  we made "no z cavarricci" t-shirts to show our disdain.  those were the days.

:lol::lol::lol:

FWIW, all the music artists are releasing their new music on vinyl.

Green Day, Tori Amos, Beck, Madonna, Cher, you name it.

And these are 2005 albums.

You need to get our more, young one.

Black Dog Records, Soundwaves and Vinyl Edge have a TON of new LPs to choose from.

FWIW, all the music artists are releasing their new music on vinyl.

Yes, but ask any aspiring DJ and he'll tell you vinyl is too expensive compared to digital. Add to the fact that Pioneer and Denon make cd players that can perfectly reproduce the imperfections and scratching of vinyl - records now only serve two purposes: nostalgia & taking up space.

The digital revolution is here. Melt all your vinyls into an iPod today.

all we need now are in-dash LP players  :rolleyes:

They used to have these. There was an LP model that went where the glove box is. There was a 45 version that went on the center console.

My mother told me that when my father was young, he was a hoodlum, and replaced the front grille of his car with speakers and would blast music in the old neighborhood.

Later in life his favorite album was Barbara Streisand singing in Spanish.

His taste in music changed, but it still left other people's ears bleeding.

My fave was Voyeux's "Houseman"!

ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-HOUSEMAN! :lol:

etomipro is a file sharing software i stumbled across lately. now, i don't exactly approve of this type of file sharing; however, music that is out of print.....is another story. considering the direction of this thread i thought it necessary to let you whose ears still bleed, and those who would know groups/artists like nitzer ebb, gene loves jezebel, peter murphy, etc. that a search on etomipro for "razormaid" brings up hundreds of club mixes from that time. do not start this unless you have some time to kill. unfortunately, i discovered this treasure chest of 80's club music on a work night and had to rip myself away from my pc in the wee hours while still downloading 30 or 40 more songs.

the richmond strip is dead, but the music is forever!!!! :rolleyes:

Archived