Cole Theatre At 930 3rd St.

ChannelTwoNews

http://ultimatefortbend.com/stories/327839-rosenberg-development-corporation-approves-agreement-with-imperial-performing-arts

Rosenberg's Development Corporation agreed to the plan put forward by Sugar Land based Imperial Arts. The plan would generally allow the company to take office space near the Post Office, and would commit to restoring the old Cole Liberty Theater on Third Street. Ultimately, the goal is to create a "cultural district", sanctioned by the state's Arts Commission.

And the original press release from last year...

http://www.ci.rosenberg.tx.us/index.aspx?page=26&recordid=405&returnURL=%2Findex.aspx

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It's a bit off topic from the new development, but this does involve the Cole Theater so I figured I'd post it in this thread to see if I could get any bites.

I've been trying to find a commercial that Randalls did when they started their "R-Cola" line of sodas. I'm thinking it was somewhere around 1994 or 95? It actually involved the "R" logo appearing on the back of the then yellow-ish wall of the building. It was there for years and began to fade away until the wall was repainted and it's traces were covered in the not too distant past. I also know there was an article about the events in the Herald-Coaster at the time.

I've checked my old tapes and so far, haven't found it. Will keep looking though...

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

In somewhat recent developments, it seems like they're trying to advance the cultural arts district branding.

The cultural district designation was formally approved by the Texas Commission on the Arts last month.

A new website has been launched: http://artsinrosenberg.org/index.html

They've also held an open house for merchants in the downtown district in the past couple of weeks to help show off the businesses and events that are taking place there. Based on the calendar on the site, it seems like there's more happening as of late than there has been in quite a while. Nice to see Vogelsang - er - Downtown Park also getting some more frequent use as well.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
  • Like 1

What's happening in Ft. Bend really reminds me of how Orange County, CA developed. It never developed a dominant city. I can see Ft. Bend ending up with multiple mid sized cities in the 100k - 300k population range that blend into one continuous urban area.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/3/2013 at 9:52 PM, ChannelTwoNews said:

It's a bit off topic from the new development, but this does involve the Cole Theater so I figured I'd post it in this thread to see if I could get any bites.

I've been trying to find a commercial that Randalls did when they started their "R-Cola" line of sodas. I'm thinking it was somewhere around 1994 or 95? It actually involved the "R" logo appearing on the back of the then yellow-ish wall of the building. It was there for years and began to fade away until the wall was repainted and it's traces were covered in the not too distant past. I also know there was an article about the events in the Herald-Coaster at the time.

I've checked my old tapes and so far, haven't found it. Will keep looking though...

Did you ever end up finding this?! Sounds awesome!

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Cole Theatre At 930 3rd St.
  • 1 year later...
On 1/17/2020 at 7:54 PM, SpaceGhost said:

Did you ever end up finding this?! Sounds awesome!

Not so far... but I've had an additional kid and moved homes since then, so that's why I haven't had as much time to check tapes as in the past. 

Every so often, I get a few moments to digitize something though. Keep hope alive!

Also of interest, an item tied to the Cole Theater is in the Parks Bond that will be voted on in November.

https://agendalink.co.fort-bend.tx.us:8085/docs/2023/CCTS/20230802_3820/57637_Overall_Total_2023_Parks_Bond_Project_07.24.23.pdf

Cole Theatre

Assessment study, waterproof and decontaminate building. Also, provide preliminary design/schematic.

Rosenberg

$1,015,000.00

• Like 2

On 10/16/2023 at 10:07 AM, ChannelTwoNews said:

Not so far... but I've had an additional kid and moved homes since then, so that's why I haven't had as much time to check tapes as in the past. 

Every so often, I get a few moments to digitize something though. Keep hope alive!

Also of interest, an item tied to the Cole Theater is in the Parks Bond that will be voted on in November.

https://agendalink.co.fort-bend.tx.us:8085/docs/2023/CCTS/20230802_3820/57637_Overall_Total_2023_Parks_Bond_Project_07.24.23.pdf

Cole Theatre

Assessment study, waterproof and decontaminate building. Also, provide preliminary design/schematic.

Rosenberg

$1,015,000.00

No worries, take your time; congratulations on the move and new kiddo! I hope all is going well.

I'm glad to see Rosenberg finally stepping up to do something with the theater. Downtown has not regressed to as bad as it was. However, that 2010s renaissance has somewhat dried up. Saving this theater is a great idea, I wonder if they plan to use it as a venue.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Posted (edited)

Historic Cole Theater back in the spotlight | Arts And Entertainment | fbherald.com

"The smell of popcorn may once again waft from the entrance of the historic Cole Theater in downtown Rosenberg. William “Bill” Butler has donated the historic Cole Theater to Fort Bend County.

“We are honored to receive such a generous gift,” Precinct 4 Commissioner Dexter L. McCoy said. The 2023 FBC Mobility Bond featured $1.015 million for critical assessment and design work to rehabilitate the historic theater, located at 930 Third St."

65d67bc2e9e68.image.jpg?resize=387,500

65d6792e65f2d.image.jpg?resize=1002,500

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
Photos
  • Like 2