2111 Austin: Multifamily At 2111 Austin St.

skooljunkie

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

For those who don't have access:

They see the market demand for a 20 story structure

20 vs 12 stories will be based on construction costs

A restaurant is planned for the ground floor, but no other details are available

Dirt should be moving on phase 2 by Q1 2020

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They’re putting up a rough-hewn white brick on the face of the ground level parking podium.  It’s kind of hard to tell from the picture, but it looks light years from anything urban that you’d expect in Midtown.  More like Texas Hill Country or Tuscan countryside.  I hope it turns out better than I’m imagining.

AD40983E-A87C-41FA-B599-366ADB8F23E2.jpeg

Edited by MarathonMan
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

They’re putting up a rough-hewn white brick on the face of the ground level parking podium.  It’s kind of hard to tell from the picture, but it looks light years from anything urban that you’d expect in Midtown.  More like Texas Hill Country or Tuscan countryside.  I hope it turns out better than I’m imagining.

AD40983E-A87C-41FA-B599-366ADB8F23E2.jpeg

I'm holding out hope.  The look they are shooting for seems similar to Union Station / Minute Maid Park. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8jpjcT42K5i3PbwD-xfy

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Subdude said:

I’m holding out hope.  The look they are shooting for seems similar to Union Station / Minute Maid Park.

I admire your optimism, Subdude!  In my mind, if they’re going for a Minute Maid Park look, they may fail miserably.  It’s taking a decidedly Mediterranean Country turn.  It might work in the burbs, but not in the city.

Edited by MarathonMan
  • Like 1

We have to remember that this design was originally conceived like 10 years ago? Probably right on the back edge of the whole traditional kitsch looks that were flooding the market at the time. Luckily we've grown out of that have gotten in line with the more contemporary looks. I'm hoping that they have surveyed their surroundings and have noticed the change and will apply this to there high rise.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Response said:

I like it better than a vacant lot. It's not like it's light years worse than what's been there or any of the surrounding blocks for the last 50 years. 

I appreciate your point, but if its ugly were stuck with it for fifty years. At least with a vacant lot it still has promise. I would prefer something going up in midtown and downtown 

that's more contemporary and aesthetically pleasing.Let Austin have the limestone blocks, and mediterranean windows.

4 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I appreciate your point, but if its ugly were stuck with it for fifty years. At least with a vacant lot it still has promise. I would prefer something going up in midtown and downtown 

that's more contemporary and aesthetically pleasing.Let Austin have the limestone blocks, and mediterranean windows.

For me its the keystones. The facade is overall a hot mess, but the keystones are pathetic and weak.

Edited by Luminare

Don't worry, Houston still has lots and lots of 'promise'. Plus, boring as it may be, I just don't hate this style of building as much as everyone else. There are so many lots that need improvement in Midtown, that as long as we aren't getting another suburban style CVS on a Midtown block or anything else with a big parking lot in front, I think I can find a ray of sunshine in that project. 

o.jpg

Edited by Response
  • Like 7

In midtown, the baseline should be no parking lots between the sidewalk and the front of the building.  This place meets that, so it at least meets the minimum.  It is in an area that has less developed buildings, so it is just a first stage.  It might look like an eye sore after the other lots are developed, or it could just blend in.  It will depend on how those other blocks redevelop

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

@hindesky link broken FYI.

Looks like we were on the same route today. I’ll post my photos in a few hours

Yeah not sure what's up but I tried several times to post this pic but it keeps showing the broken link. Probably got to upload the pic to  imgr again.

CMGfDzb.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, hindesky said:

Yeah not sure what's up but I tried several times to post this pic but it keeps showing the broken link. Probably got to upload the pic to  imgr again.

CMGfDzb.jpg

That size stone just feels to small for the first floor of a 5-6 story building. If they are going to take a more traditional approach with this kind of stone then it each stone needs to be bigger in size so it appears on the outside that the podium is properly holding up the rest of the building. Yes, we don't need massive stone like that anymore because stone doesn't do any load bearing, but it still makes more sense than some time ones that look like they belong on some McMansion out in suburbia.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...