The Astoria: Condominium High-Rise At 1405 Post Oak Blvd.

wxman

They're probably waiting until they can figure out what the best use for the site is.

When my parents talked to them about buying a unit, they made a point of talking about how you can design the walls inside your unit any way you want them, and they are custom building all of the units. I expect when they are close to completely sold is when it will start to go up. The units that haven't sold are mostly the lower-level ones.

When my parents talked to them about buying a unit, they made a point of talking about how you can design the walls inside your unit any way you want them, and they are custom building all of the units. I expect when they are close to completely sold is when it will start to go up. The units that haven't sold are mostly the lower-level ones.

That's a great perk. I hope they can turn enough people on to justify building it. This is probably my second favorite high-rise building scheduled to go up around town in the foreseeable future, behind the 40-story tower currently going up at W. Alabama & Weslayan.

I have to go back a couple of pages here to the comment about getting rid of the "hideous" Zone D next to the Galleria.  C'mon people, if anyone is serious about historic preservation in Houston, than Zone D should be designed as a landmark.  This is a monument to Houston's lack of zoning laws and putting that building next to the Galleria is the greatest "I don't give a cr*p what you think" statement that I've ever seen.

The only thing that could possibly be better would be if Neiman Marcus was in the Dillard's space so that all the Neiman's customers could pretend to be offended by the sight of it while secretly shopping there (with sunglasses and hats on).

• Like 2

I have to go back a couple of pages here to the comment about getting rid of the "hideous" Zone D next to the Galleria.  C'mon people, if anyone is serious about historic preservation in Houston, than Zone D should be designed as a landmark.  This is a monument to Houston's lack of zoning laws and putting that building next to the Galleria is the greatest "I don't give a cr*p what you think" statement that I've ever seen.

The only thing that could possibly be better would be if Neiman Marcus was in the Dillard's space so that all the Neiman's customers could pretend to be offended by the sight of it while secretly shopping there (with sunglasses and hats on).

Okay...NOW I see the light, and it is neon!!

Zone D Erotica has been there almost 10 years now right? When it first opened I never thought it would last this long. It makes the Galleria area look bad! What was there before this? Looks like a Pizza Hut.

It's gotten to a point where that place should be a historic landmark.  If Houston were ever on TV it'd be right up there with Randy's Donuts in LA.

The building Zone D' occupies here was originally built for a fast-food roast beef sandwich franchise (Roy Rogers, I think, but could have been Arby's).   I don't recall the year, but it went up during the era in which Galleria-area real-estate investors/speculators gave up on their unfulfilled dreams of selling to developers of big, high-profile projects and decided to cash out by selling to developers of mass-market retail operations (fast-food joints, big-box stores, etc.).

Update... guys are removing what I would call the "skirt" of the Astoria trailer and have a dumpster on site... is it possible they are preparing to move it?

Maybe considering they were at 50% sold according to Por Favor Gracias last week.  Don't know why else they would be cleaning up unless they decided not to build.  Don't think that's the case though.

Uptown, downtown, the Woodlands and the Energy Corridor are booming, and even Greenway Plaza, the TMC and Westchase areas are all filling up with more buildings that are either inevitable or already under construction. And then there's that AWESOME 40 story residential tower going up at 2929 Weslayan...assuming it looks anything like the renderings.

Houston is growing like crazy. 

70% sold, breaking ground sometime at the end of this month.

Sweet, did you call the office?

Shouldn't we be seeing this in some kind of planning commission report before ground breaking? something to keep an eye on.