Skanska Buys Downtown Block On Main, Clay, Fannin, Bell St.

ChannelTwoNews

http://www.chron.com...ock-2477771.php

The company plans to develop a 10,000-square-foot child care center on a portion of the site for JPMorgan Chase, one of Skanska's tenants in the Houston Club tower. Construction will begin at the end of the third quarter.

The rest of the block will be open for development, spokeswoman Jessica Murray said.

• 4 months later...

Noticed today developer Skanska has fenced off the southern half a of a Downtown surface parking lot at Main & Bell today with a construction fence the clearly signifies their presence.

While we all know they own the Houston Club building, I dont ever recall seeing/hearing anything about them at this site. Is there something new coming soon? And what is it?!?

Two-thirds of the site will be devoted to parking.

All of the site is currently devoted to parking. They are developing a building on 1/3 of the block, leaving 2/3 of the block as surface parking, as it is today, FOR NOW. They envision future development of the rest of the site as downtown Houston continues to grow. Skanska says they envision Downtown growth heading south.

You know, I would like to think so, but they've been saying that at least since the 1960s and it never quite reached its potential. It is fine that Skanska is building the day care, but I simply don't envision the area ever really filling up with dense development.

As 19514 mentioned above, it's an interim use. Skansa bought the block because they needed to relocate a daycare pursuant to their lease obligations with a tenant in another building. They couldn't find a suitable space in an existing building, and they thought this block was a good value. They are testing some new ideas with respect to the building, and will likely tear it down to redevelop at some point in the future. I think you will see this quadrant of downtown developed a lot sooner than you might expect.

As 19514 mentioned above, it's an interim use. Skansa bought the block because they needed to relocate a daycare pursuant to their lease obligations with a tenant in another building. They couldn't find a suitable space in an existing building, and they thought this block was a good value. They are testing some new ideas with respect to the building, and will likely tear it down to redevelop at some point in the future. I think you will see this quadrant of downtown developed a lot sooner than you might expect.

In the long run,everything is an interim use. However...in the long run, we're all dead.

This is what TOD looks like on Bell Street. Yay, light rail...

I think people are missing the bigger picture, this isn't really about the daycare at all. It is about getting tenants out of the Houston Club. As the article states they will have an empty building sitting on a full city block with five tunnel connections by the end of this year. That is the real story, and the big question is what is going to go in its place.

All of the site is currently devoted to parking. They are developing a building on 1/3 of the block, leaving 2/3 of the block as surface parking, as it is today, FOR NOW. They envision future development of the rest of the site as downtown Houston continues to grow. Skanska says they envision Downtown growth heading south.

Assuming that section of downtown remains largely devoted to parking for the foreseeable future, the city really should make the best of it. I've said this before, but since the city and various civic improvement groups are always so keen on conjuring up "districts", they should designate the southern stretch of downtown as the Parking District. They could put up parking-themed street signs, and issue odd statistics like "The Parking District has more surface parking spaces than any other designated parking district in the US". It would actually be quite funny, although I grant not everyone would see the humor.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Skanska said earlier that they see a lot of opportunity on the south end of downtown and anticipate developing an office tower on this site at some point.

Some point seems at least 5-10 years down the road! It would be nice if they considered a residential highrise to help create a southern residential core around the lightrail.

My intuitive sources tell me it will be built quicker than expected or slower than expected. It could also potentially be built right when we expected it. No word on if it might not even get built yet. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thank you for giving us every possibility ever.

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to New Skanska Development Downtown, Main at Bell?
  • The title was changed to Skanska Buys Downtown Block On Main, Clay, Fannin, Bell St.

Archived