I received this email yesterday - I have no idea how I'm even on the list but...

Apparently Randall Davis is building a new property behind the Carraba's on Kirby, starting in April 2012. It looks to be about six stories (five residential and probably one lobby/garage). The details, per the email, are below. I've also attached a rendering, which was sent with the email. I have no interest in violating their intellectual property by posting this here, but since the email was sent as an advertisement, I imagine they wouldn't mind the publicity.

Here's the body of the email. It came from an email advertisement, so a warning up front that it's marketing-speak.

Randall Davis here, wanting to capture a little of your time to discuss a new vision inspired by a recent trip to NYC. Visiting a friend in Soho, I was mesmerized by a design and style of living not found in Houston. I'm putting the finishing touches on a new development on W Main; right behind Carraba's new restaurant on Kirby. Living here, you can walk to Whole Foods or West Avenue, or order food from Johnny Carrabba's three new restaurants. It will house ONLY 10, 3 bedroom - 3 1/2 bath residences, each with 3,000 square feet including a large terrace.

I believe there are Houstonians who want mid-rise living in a small exclusive building with low maintenance fees. I estimate maintenance fees will be $450 monthly ($.15 per sq ft). How? This is a finely designed home for ONLY 10 residents. An elevator splits the building and opens directly into your residence (2 units per floor), no hallways, excellent privacy and access by code or reader. Parking is underneath the mid-rise tower. There is no concierge or guard, but this type of living requires none in my opinion.

The property named Chateau 10 will have an urban European design; this is not a glass box high rise. Living room views are pointed west at the Galleria area. Ceiling heights are 10 feet, 11 feet on the top penthouse floor. I'm working toward the following amenities but admittedly they are a work in progress. I want feedback from my first 3-4 buyers: here is the starting point amenity list:

Top of the line appliance package

Wood Floors Choice of style and stain

Marble, Granite Kitchen, Baths – Custom Selections

Floor Tile Kitchens Custom Selections

Cabinets Choices of styles and color

Carpet in secondary bedrooms – Selections

Kitchen Sink Choose farm house or other

Interior Doors Choose style and finish

Fireplace (electric) optional with mantel selections

Fireplace (gas) optional for penthouses only with mantel selections

Crown Molding Living area and master bedroom with 8" base boards

Custom Closet Allowance for master bedrooms

Apple Airport Express and everything else Apple

Flat Screen TV in master bath and home speaker system

Built-in makeup mirror

Island pendant selections

All homes come paint-ready with a coat of white primer

I plan to start construction in April 2012, with one year delivery time. Early pricing target ranges from the high $700,000 to just under $1,000,000. If you are sincerely interested in acquiring a residence, call me at 713.526.3222 to set up a private appointment with me in my office.

I am excited about this new prototype residential opportunity. I would like to show you images, floor plans and discuss your level of interest in being one of the exclusive few who will reside in this finely tuned mid-rise. Looking forward to seeing you for your private presentation.

post-4154-0-32907500-1324509358_thumb.jp

Edited by Simbha
  • Like 3

So my kitchen is better, and my security and concierge services are equal. They can walk to Carrabba's, but I can walk to Christian's Tailgate (and Glass Wall and Stella Sola, but whatever).

Tough call.

Those places have fewer television ads and aren't chain restaurants. So there.

Not a fan of Randall Davis but this is a prime location to try and see if a small project like this can work. Easy access to downtown, TMC, Galleria, and Greenway. Neighbors include West Ave, Whole Foods, Carrabba's new village, Cafe Express, Kuhl Linscomb, Ruggles Green, Hendrick's Pub, lil Pappasito's, etc...

Why would a 10 unit building with alarm systems, no hallways, and coded access elevators need a guard hut or concierge? He is conveying his message poorly, but I get that a development like this doesn't need the same amount of uber protection like The Huntingdon requires (multiple units, grand lobby, outdoor pool, multi-level garage, private grounds, building art and furniture, etc...)

• 2 weeks later...

I think the idea of low maint living in this location is great. However, I don't get the pricing at high 700k to 1M+. This is about twice the price of a comparable townhome. I get that these are one stories, but you also have neighbors above and below you, less land etc. The building offers no other ammenties. What am I missing here? While a highrise has higher HOAs, the units are cheaper with more services.

My 2¢ , here's the rundown

-Interesting idea, I'm eager to see how it well (or not well) it ends up working for the 10 tenants

-If it fails it could be resold as an awesome frat house... backup plan

-Is overpriced an understatement? Despite being only 10 units... as a small midrise it seems like there should at least be a small pool and small workout facility. To say I have a million dollar home I'd like to say I AT LEAST have these things too... and they shouldn't affect the maintenance fee much.

-With a card or coded parking garage, and elevator into your unit, and alarm system I agree with KinkaidAlum a concierge or security guard is overkill. The only way this place would get a guard is if something actually happened first to warrant one for the future.

-Flat Screen in Master Bath... ok... home speaker system... why bother... Warning: Side Rant in 3... 2...1... yea, I have a 5.1 sound system, and every highrise and apartment I've ever had it in I can never use it to even half its potential without getting numerous complaints from neighbors. Units like this can be sound proofed properly, so you can't hear much noise, or feel the bass from next door, or for that matter hear when the neighbor upstairs flushes their toilet... but they never do it.

I think the idea of low maint living in this location is great. However, I don't get the pricing at high 700k to 1M+. This is about twice the price of a comparable townhome. I get that these are one stories, but you also have neighbors above and below you, less land etc. The building offers no other ammenties. What am I missing here? While a highrise has higher HOAs, the units are cheaper with more services.

I don't think you will find many truly comparable townhouses (if any) priced at 1/2 this price level.

My 2¢ , here's the rundown

-Interesting idea, I'm eager to see how it well (or not well) it ends up working for the 10 tenants

-If it fails it could be resold as an awesome frat house... backup plan

-Is overpriced an understatement? Despite being only 10 units... as a small midrise it seems like there should at least be a small pool and small workout facility. To say I have a million dollar home I'd like to say I AT LEAST have these things too... and they shouldn't affect the maintenance fee much.

-With a card or coded parking garage, and elevator into your unit, and alarm system I agree with KinkaidAlum a concierge or security guard is overkill. The only way this place would get a guard is if something actually happened first to warrant one for the future.

-Flat Screen in Master Bath... ok... home speaker system... why bother... Warning: Side Rant in 3... 2...1... yea, I have a 5.1 sound system, and every highrise and apartment I've ever had it in I can never use it to even half its potential without getting numerous complaints from neighbors. Units like this can be sound proofed properly, so you can't hear much noise, or feel the bass from next door, or for that matter hear when the neighbor upstairs flushes their toilet... but they never do it.

Yes, I agree. But I do like the general trend of low maint properties in the inner loop, such as Winfield Gate which also has low maint fees and takes care of external maint. Hopefully, this is a trend as households increasingly have two professionals with less time for home upkeep.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...