Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

Alright, who do we bribe to: 1) Get those red smokestacks lopped off of the GRB; and 2) Get a 500-1,000 ft. monument between the GHP building and Minute Maid Park?  I have $30 on me right now.

But the smokestacks are a great period detail from the time it was built.  It's such a great example of post-modern architecture; I would hate to see it altered too greatly.

• Like 6

But the smokestacks are a great period detail from the time it was built.  It's such a great example of post-modern architecture; I would hate to see it altered too greatly.

If there's one thing Houston is NOT short on, it's 80s architecture.  Most of the iconic buildings in this city are from the 80s.  And of all the 80s post-modern pieces to salvage, those red things would be last on my list, as the only response they elicit is a quizzical, "Wait, is Houston's convention center supposed to look like a gigantic cruise ship?? On land? In the heart of the CBD?"

But to each his/her own.  I respect everyone's opinion on this.

• Like 3

This is really coming together nicely. I really like the details in the window treatments, and the way the curtain walls appear to be faceted or multi- layered . The image of the podium is really exciting and makes me want to go down there and stand in this new urban

space.

I can't wait to walk around the neighborhood when all of the current projects under construction in the convention center and

Minute Maid districts are finished. There will eventually be more people living on this side of downtown than have ever lived down

here. I wish it would have been like this in 2000 when we lived in the Wagon Works. A whole new world on the east side soon.

And in case any of those naysayers are still around that used to mock at the suggestion that the ball park or the convention center

would drive development on the east side, it took a while but look at it now. Some will say it was because of Discovery Green, and I

agree it has been the catalyst for everything exploding like it has recently. But If they hadn't chosen to build the convention

center on the east side instead of the other proposal to build it where the Albert Thomas convention center was, and then add Minute

Maid, it would still be vacant lots. The convention center and the Hilton were the impetus for the park and we can thank Mayor White

for the vision, and the drive to make it happen.

• Like 3

This is really coming together nicely. I really like the details in the window treatments, and the way the curtain walls appear to be faceted or multi- layered . The image of the podium is really exciting and makes me want to go down there and stand in this new urban

space.

I can't wait to walk around the neighborhood when all of the current projects under construction in the convention center and

Minute Maid districts are finished. There will eventually be more people living on this side of downtown than have ever lived down

here. I wish it would have been like this in 2000 when we lived in the Wagon Works. A whole new world on the east side soon.

And in case any of those naysayers are still around that used to mock at the suggestion that the ball park or the convention center

would drive development on the east side, it took a while but look at it now. Some will say it was because of Discovery Green, and I

agree it has been the catalyst for everything exploding like it has recently. But If they hadn't chosen to build the convention

center on the east side instead of the other proposal to build it where the Albert Thomas convention center was, and then add Minute

Maid, it would still be vacant lots. The convention center and the Hilton were the impetus for the park and we can thank Mayor White

for the vision, and the drive to make it happen

I'll put up some pics of the glass used in the strip windows and the curtain wall. Also some of how they are being made

I agree with the above statement. One other thing, from my perspective, the skyline appears more symmetrical due to the new construction east of Main St.  The downtown is rounding out. Hope all the other residential projects come online. I count 12 under construction or finished, 2 ready for start (Marlowe and Great Southwetern) and 6 iffys.