Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

Disturb anyone else that there appears to be a green light to ram directly into the lightrail?

It's normal.  If you look closely, you can see the train has a horizontal red bar, meaning it must not proceed (it gets a vertical white bar when it is allowed to go).  But I've watched the trains at the intersections a lot, and I can say they are as bad at ignoring red lights as Houston drivers are.  Not surprising, though, since the trains are also driven by Houston drivers. It's a wonder there aren't more collisions.

Disturb anyone else that there appears to be a green light to ram directly into the lightrail?

Well its not like people couldn't possibly see the passing train, warning signs, elevated wires, etc..... nope people are smart and will absolutely not drive in front or walk in front of the train and then blame others for their stupidity....nope not this train!

• Like 1

thank you Monarch! yeah i was flying/controlling the quadcopter. i got it recently and with the controls being as sensitive as they are, I'm still getting used to doing movements slow enough for fluid videos.

Cool! What model do you have and are there any rules when it comes to flying these things? I would be nervous of an officer saying something to me haha

This is a very well done video. Thank you!

To Nate: there are some Federal rules out there now for commercial drone usage and more rules are coming. It is a grey area now. I am uncertain if there are any State laws or local ordinances.

I know nothing about drones and how they work but I would guess that like anything else, they could have a malfunction (or operator error) and fall from the sky. While they likely don't weigh very much, in a crowded city, if one fell, hit a car windshield on the street which then caused the driver to "lose control" of the car and hit a pedestrian or something..... Yikes......

Folks have been flying "drones" for decades and decades. But, unless I am mistaken, they typically fly them at "model airplane fields" not in downtown areas or around freeways, etc.

As drones begin to proliferate and possibly try to co-exist in dense urban areas, I will be curious to see if there are a raft of "personal injury" lawsuits.

• Like 1

this is about to be a heck of a multi-quote.. but first off, thanks everyone for the positive feedback! I'm still new to the aerial videographer/photographer scene, so ill have to spend more time on the videos in the future instead of just doing one take without any edits.

Cool! What model do you have and are there any rules when it comes to flying these things? I would be nervous of an officer saying something to me haha

a Phantom 2 Vision+.
as for rules, as UtterlyUrban said. its a pretty grey area still. there is apparently an FAA law either in effect or planning to go in effect regulating them to under 500', no night time flying, and must have a sight line on the drone.
about the worst someone could do is come up and tell you to leave afaik. if you were flying over private property or something there could be some illegalities to it if the owner didn't want you there, but i was in a public park.

This is a very well done video. Thank you!

To Nate: there are some Federal rules out there now for commercial drone usage and more rules are coming. It is a grey area now. I am uncertain if there are any State laws or local ordinances.

I know nothing about drones and how they work but I would guess that like anything else, they could have a malfunction (or operator error) and fall from the sky. While they likely don't weigh very much, in a crowded city, if one fell, hit a car windshield on the street which then caused the driver to "lose control" of the car and hit a pedestrian or something..... Yikes......

Folks have been flying "drones" for decades and decades. But, unless I am mistaken, they typically fly them at "model airplane fields" not in downtown areas or around freeways, etc.

As drones begin to proliferate and possibly try to co-exist in dense urban areas, I will be curious to see if there are a raft of "personal injury" lawsuits.

about the only way one could "fall from the sky" is if it somehow lost a prop. otherwise, the nicer quads nowadays have a "return to home" feature if remote connection is ever lost or the battery gets too low.
yeah I've wondered if they will ever require us to have licenses or insurance for accidents and what not. wouldn't be a terrible idea..
as for flying it in a "downtown area", admittedly the idea was a little beyond my comfort zone at first, but after seeing a few other videos of people flying at Discovery Green i figured why not? i did notice some signal interference when i was flying in the area though (not sure if it was due to the electrical substations near Discovery Green or a large source of metal nearby when i calibrated the compass).

Seems like you could make these and sell them to property owners for vids.

heh, you actually aren't the first person to tell me that. its not a bad idea for paying off the cost of the quad. i could definitely see it being ideal for high end suburban real estate, getting aerial views from around the property..

Cloud713:

I won't quote all the above but I do want to make a small point.

But, before I do that, thanks again for the video and, as you get your moxy up, I would love to see more where ever the law and your confidence allows! I really like the "professional" feel of your video. Good stuff.

Now the point of claification: unless I am wrong, discovery green is NOT a public park. It is actually private. It is a private, tax-exempt, charity that owns the property and manages the park. It is not publicly owned. And, there are, in fact, fairly draconian photography permit requirements on the park (check the website). That said, there are about 500,000 wedding and engagement portraits taken in the park by "pros" every 32 seconds. I really doubt any of them have permits. So, it doesn't seem like this rule is well enforced. Or, actually, enforced at all.

Anyway, the minor point of clarification is that the park is really not public.

Have fun with your drone and let us know if you film something else!

• Like 1

Cloud713:

I won't quote all the above but I do want to make a small point.

But, before I do that, thanks again for the video and, as you get your moxy up, I would love to see more where ever the law and your confidence allows! I really like the "professional" feel of your video. Good stuff.

Now the point of claification: unless I am wrong, discovery green is NOT a public park. It is actually private. It is a private, tax-exempt, charity that owns the property and manages the park. It is not publicly owned. And, there are, in fact, fairly draconian photography permit requirements on the park (check the website). That said, there are about 500,000 wedding and engagement portraits taken in the park by "pros" every 32 seconds. I really doubt any of them have permits. So, it doesn't seem like this rule is well enforced. Or, actually, enforced at all.

Anyway, the minor point of clarification is that the park is really not public.

Have fun with your drone and let us know if you film something else!

Ahh, so you are correct. As for photography, the rules at discovery green are only for commercial/professional photography I believe.