Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

Bravo good sir, and welcome to HAIF!

EDIT: I'm seriously losing count on cranes in downtown now lol. Not to mention there will probably be a crane for the site near 59, one for 609, another one will be set up on main, the new crane at alley, possibly another two at market square. Craziness!

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

^ Agreed! This makes crane number 9 up downtown and we still have at least one more for this and 2 more for 609 Main. That's not including all the cranes about to go up for the multifamily highrises about to start!

9 Tower cranes and 4 crawler cranes in the CBD, add 2 more tower cranes for 609, 1 more for Marriott Marquis. If you add the UHD's 1 tower crane and Midtown's 4 tower cranes . Probably 1 to 4 for the 40 story and Hines MFB there will be lots of cranes in the downtown area. 

Excellent pics! Just some advice, another good location is your parking garage on the top floor. Avoids the window glare.

Actually TPeppers if you go to the corner conference room in the afternoon you can get no glare pics.  I take mine from the 8th floor corner.

• Like 1

After all these years we are just now recovering from the terrible demolition... If recovery is even possible. Years of history, erased

Was the demolition "terrible"?

I can only assume that the building were demolished because they were empty relics. No tenants and a home for thugs of all sorts.

Demolition happens long after PEOPLE make a choice to abandon an area. I am uncertain if having 300 buildings on the eastern side of downtown that had been empty for near 45 years would be a "good" thing.

If they did still stand, Would we not be wrecking them now anyway?

• Like 3

Was the demolition "terrible"?

I can only assume that the building were demolished because they were empty relics. No tenants and a home for thugs of all sorts.

Demolition happens long after PEOPLE make a choice to abandon an area. I am uncertain if having 300 buildings on the eastern side of downtown that had been empty for near 45 years would be a "good" thing.

If they did still stand, Would we not be wrecking them now anyway?

That's not really true. Demolition often happens in preparation for something "better" that never actually happens, or to clear "blight," which was very liberally defined for decades. And in this city in particular, where demolition is so deeply embedded into the culture, buildings are often demoed just to make a property more appealing to potential developers. Look, you can build whatever you want! We already cleared the land for you!