Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

I don't see why Houston doesn't invest a little bit more on the stations? I understand the money situation and general cheapness the city has at times, but Houston could've easily made it so that only people with tickets can board the train. Have essentially a glass box or walls and to get in the box area to board the train you need a purchased ticket to slide the door open. I was in Istanbul last week and they had such a great example of this, but I forgot to take a picture. I'm really happy with the effort and interest the city has put into downtown, and I hope they continue improving.

You don't normally see things like that for light rail stations. I am actually not sure of a light rail system with stations like that, unless it is linked with some heavy rail stations (which do have those things you mention).

I have a couple of great images from the pour but not tech savvy enough to make them small enough to download on the site.

I'd be happy to send them to someone who knows how to make them small enough to be downloaded. I also have some some nice ones from Hanover for the Southampton and I can't get them to download.The files are too large and my computer brain is too small to make it work. Helpppp!!!!

• Like 1

Here are the photos that Bobruss has for the Marriott pour from earlier today.  Make sure to thank him for providing the forum with them.  He also wanted to make sure that Morris was credited for getting him the great images.  

14815523158_6901816f88_k.jpgMarriott Houston Pour 1 by brijonmang, on Flickr

14815525988_a905aa4284_k.jpgMarriott Houston Pour 2 by brijonmang, on Flickr

Also, make sure to check out the Southampton thread also for the photos he provided there.

• Like 8

Great photos.  I loves me some heavy equipment mayhem.

Say, Purdueenginerd (or anyone else qualified to chime in)... do you have any idea what's with the checkerboard of what look like pits on the side closest to the baseball stadium?

Could they be for sump pumps. That was what someone said the others were and the look similar. Just seems to be too many of them though. maybe its a bank of elevators. Im just guessing.

Edited by bobruss

The large rectangular one is for the freight elevator and the other ones were formed to save on the amount of concrete in the mat. That area will not be load bearing and doesn't need to be as thick. The raised areas are where the columns will go and that's why they are thicker. That is essentially what I was told.

• Like 1

I understand the money situation and general cheapness the city has at times, but Houston could've easily made it so that only people with tickets can board the train.

Actually, I would have loved a train system that was entirely free. Fort Worth's Molly Trolley is an entirely free bus system that anyone can get on and off of at any station. It encourages more ridership and more visits downtown. I can understand a modicum of a need to recover costs, but that can be done so many ways other than extracting fares from passengers.

Edited by toxtethogrady

Actually, I would have loved a train system that was entirely free. Fort Worth's Molly Trolley is an entirely free bus system that anyone can get on and off of at any station. It encourages more ridership and more visits downtown. I can understand a modicum of a need to recover costs, but that can be done so many ways other than extracting fares from passengers.

That's basically Greenlink with added weekend service.

With regard to the topic of the thread, I'm curious about the figures tied to the pour when all is said and done. I recall the pours done for the newest MD Anderson Tower on the other side of Brays Bayou set some records... sort of curious how this one will stack up.

I have not been to north Texas see this Molly Trolley. I just looked it up on the web though. It seems that GreenLink ..... The free bus service in downtown houston .... Does much the same thing, no?