Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

^^One of those angles that makes me swoon at the beauty of the Embassy Suites. Just now realized how they made it an homage to the AT&T building... simply stunning.

Actually, I think the Embassy Suites is one of the worst looking buildings in Houston.

• Like 1

Actually, I think the Embassy Suites is one of the worst looking buildings in Houston.

His post was sarcasm. The hate for he Embassy Suites as it ended up is pretty well unmatched.

The AT&T building he was referencing is a windowless switching bunker.

His post was sarcasm. The hate for he Embassy Suites as it ended up is pretty well unmatched.

The AT&T building he was referencing is a windowless switching bunker.

Nevertheless, they do resemble one another from that angle.  

Let us each touch whatever talisman works and hope for both buildings' quick reduction to infill status.

• Like 1

Nevertheless, they do resemble one another from that angle.  

Let us each touch whatever talisman works and hope for both buildings' quick reduction to infill status.

No argument there. It turned in to a beige box.

I do wonder how long those big switching centers will be kept around. There are several in DT alone (one on the Magnolia's block is several stories tall) and other notable locations taking up good RE.

I guess as long as some are using the land lines, they will be there.

The Astros are playing pretty well.  MMP is bringing in more attendance.  Mattress Mat may have to pay a lot of money if they win 65 games.  They a speeding the Marriott quickly I was there last week, it full speed ahead.   

I would imagine that he has a hedge in Vegas on the whole season win total O/U payout.

That the bar is set at 65 games is almost too sad to have publicity value at all.

• Like 1

Hey, at least this year they aren't The Very Worst Team In Baseball, as has been the case in the not too distant past (and the medium past when they spawned the Michael Jackson joke,* and the past past...).

* What do the Astros have in common with Michael Jackson?  They both wear one glove for no apparent reason.

I don't see why Houston doesn't invest a little bit more on the stations? I understand the money situation and general cheapness the city has at times, but Houston could've easily made it so that only people with tickets can board the train. Have essentially a glass box or walls and to get in the box area to board the train you need a purchased ticket to slide the door open. I was in Istanbul last week and they had such a great example of this, but I forgot to take a picture. I'm really happy with the effort and interest the city has put into downtown, and I hope they continue improving.

One word friend....politics!

What I'm talking about:

http://swamplot.com/how-metro-let-an-international-design-competition-for-houstons-new-central-station-go-down-the-drain/2013-11-22/

You can also go to ArchDaily and get the same story.

The city of Houston has a long history of failing to execute on public competitions. In this example they had a great showing of different architects wanting to contribute something unique, but politics ensued and it took months and months for them to put forth any action on anything and then the competition simply died! It's pretty sad, but when you have people in power who have no idea how competitions like this are suppose to be run or how to properly treat those who are in the competition itself then this is what happens.

Just in my short time in the architecture field, politics rears it's ugly head very often. You wish that it didn't when the effort should go to coming up with the best design, but nope! You have people that will use architecture as a way to throw their weight around, or sneak stuff in, simply halt things for the sake of attention, throw in completely unattainable goals at any point during the process, or they simply just think it's fun to be in a position of power over others. It's a sad thing to see, but like in anything or any kind of industry it's there.

The best example of late of a city that knows how to do fantastic architecture competitions is London. Say what you may about their crazy Mayor, but holy crap does he know how to initiate awesome competitions. From the highly theoretical, to the entertaining, to the serious possibility of getting built it's been fun going on places like ArchDaily everyday to almost always find something new going on across the pond.

It will take a new generation of leadership in City Council, Metro, and other organizations before we see a change in this. I mean it's a great principle to be fiscally conservative, but it's an absolute MUST that in those kinds of jobs you are essentially architecturally progressive! Which in my view.....I don't see any. There has to be some kind of balance for all this stuff to work.

For the current stations we have....they actually aren't to bad! They just need to freakin finish these projects so they can move onto the next one!!!

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

The concrete is going to be flowing all over downtown this weekend. The Marriot has a big pour this weekend also.

Not sure which day but I'm sure someone here can find that out. Apparently they are doing there's in sections but

still at least 150 trucks.

• Like 1

Marriott is having the big pour between 3am and 9am Friday morning.

Yes. It's 6am and I can see two pumpers and possibly a third/fourth from my vantage point. There are trucks everywhere. It is a ballet of steel and iron.

My view is cut off by Hess though. The folks from Hess will see a treat this morning......

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 1