Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

Rusk was moribund for so long.  With this started, that will be another block that's difficult to get through (particularly on foot - try walking from BoA a/k/a The Castle of Commerce to BG a/k/a The Pipewrench), but when it's done it will be pretty cool.

• Like 1

I think with all the development in the city anyway, we as citizens are simply going to have to bite the bullet when it comes to disruptions to traffic and routines. Especially when the end result is going to be fantastic.

I'm so happy this is finally starting! Looks like I will be driving through downtown on my way home :D

^What?  Where?!

Seriously though, this actually is a game changer.  With the new convention center hotel we will be able to attract more conventions, which will in turn bring more people and add to the need for more hotel space, since business travelers will be tusslin with conventioners in the years to come.

Nails on a chalk board.

That's not really nails on a chalkboard. "It's better than what was there before" is nails on a chalkboard. 99% of all new construction in the world is better than what was there before, assuming what was there before wasn't virgin wilderness.

14036259349_e4d9aec380_h.jpg

14222922925_4607b7df97_h.jpg

Grainy pictures... sorry

I have the new Samsung Galaxy S5 and moisture got in the lens area somehow. Probably cause I took it in the pool last night.  :lol: (It's a water proof/resistant phone). So once I got that high vantage point, the moisture had cleared.

14219607851_4b3f5810e8_h.jpg

Really bad quality of the lot north of it.. and I had to take this with my front facing camera while the moisture got out of the back:

14036239799_122505fc71_h.jpg

Edited by Triton
  • Like 7

Houston has a lot more hotel rooms that I thought.  I thought we might be way down the list, but we are 9th surprisingly.

Even better we are projected to pass Dallas for #8 in the U.S because of all the stuff under construction.  Who else is surprised?

http://boardingarea.com/loyaltytraveler/2013/10/09/top-ten-u-s-cities-by-hotel-rooms/#sthash.JLzGmZAm.dpbs

Top Ten U.S. cities by number of hotel rooms

Source: Hotel News Now article with August 2013 Smith Travel Research with line bar graphic

1. Las Vegas, Nevada
169,100 existing rooms
0 in rooms construction
14,600 rooms in planning phase
183,700 total rooms forecast (#1)

2. Orlando, Florida
119,800 existing rooms
2,600 rooms in construction
2,200 rooms in planning phase
124,600 total rooms forecast (#3)

3. Chicago, Illinois
108,700 existing rooms
1,500 rooms in construction
4,800 rooms in planning phase
115,000 total rooms forecast (#5)

4. Washington D.C.
106,200 existing rooms
2,900 rooms in construction
7,900 rooms in planning phase
117,000 total rooms forecast (#4)

5. New York New York
106,000 existing rooms
12,600 rooms in construction
11,500 rooms in planning phase
130,100 total rooms forecast (#2)

6. Los Angeles-Long Beach
97,200 existing rooms
2,400 rooms in construction
4,700 rooms in planning phase
104,300 total rooms forecast (#6)

7. Atlanta, Georgia
93,900 existing rooms
900 rooms in construction
3,600 rooms in planning phase
98,400 total rooms forecast (#7)

8. Dallas, Texas
78,200 existing rooms
1,000 rooms in construction
4,300 rooms in planning phase
83,500 total rooms forecast (#9)

9. Houston, Texas
74,700 existing rooms
1,800 rooms in construction
7,600 rooms in planning phase
84,100 total rooms forecast (#8)

10. Phoenix, Arizona
62,100 existing rooms
500 rooms in construction
3,900 rooms in planning phase
66,500 total rooms forecast (#10)

NYC is #5? Behind Chicago?

This must be based on city limits. Can't imagine we have more hotel rooms than SF and Boston, just to name two.

Probably right, the reason I was surprised was I thought DFW always had a pretty large lead in that area over Houston.

I guess they still do if they are leading us in a city vs. city comparison. When you factor in Addison, Richardson, Plano, Arlington, Irving, Frisco... that's a lot of hotel rooms.

Then again, the chart they're referring to says top 10 "markets," so I doubt it's just city limits.

Edited by H-Town Man

I guess they still do if they are leading us in a city vs. city comparison. When you factor in Addison, Richardson, Plano, Arlington, Irving, Frisco... that's a lot of hotel rooms.

Then again, the chart they're referring to says top 10 "markets," so I doubt it's just city limits.

No... the chart says "top ten U.S. cities".  So it might be just city limits. ;-)

Safe to say that Atlanta has so many more than we do because of the 1996 Summer Olympics.  Only reason.  I should hope that number is DFW, because if it is just Dallas, its likely they outnumber us in hotels by a lot more than what is listed (though I suspect it isn't the whole Metro).

I wonder what number of rooms San Diego has?

Based on the numbers, this is clearly about the metro areas. Marriott Marquis is a large hotel and holds 1,000 units. Most carry far fewer than that. 74,700 units sounds about right for a metro area since the Galleria, downtown, and TMC area can't possibly fill in the rest of that alone.

Ahhh, now that I'm thinking about it, perhaps this is within the city limits. Nevermind. 

Edited by Triton

Safe to say that Atlanta has so many more than we do because of the 1996 Summer Olympics. Only reason. I should hope that number is DFW, because if it is just Dallas, its likely they outnumber us in hotels by a lot more than what is listed (though I suspect it isn't the whole Metro).

I wonder what number of rooms San Diego has?

Atlanta is a bit more of a touristy city. When you drive in there, you feel like you're on vacation. Not industrial or messy like Houston. And their giant hotels downtown mostly predate the Olympics.

This is the actual chart they're referring to. You can see the link to it in the article.

And as you can see, it says Markets, not cities. :-)

20131008_ISHC_large.gif

I see.  And you are clearly right that it is not just those within city limits.  (Houston has approximately 57,000 hotel rooms inside the city limits.  Dallas has approximately has not quite 32,000.)

Having said that, I wonder how they defined the market.  There are more than 20,000 hotel rooms in the Houston metro area outside the city limits. So I wonder how they came up with a market of 74,700 rooms.  (Houston city 57,000 plus Houston outside the city 21,000 = 78,000)

Edited by Houston19514