Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

Yeah, I see what you are saying.

The GRB just seems undersized to me, with no room to expand.

Not bad for someone typing who is seeing little dancing buildings running around the place...

hmm...vodka or vicodin? WHY must they make awesome mild altering drugs that start with the letter "V"?

I see where I went wrong...

I saw this article that said the GRB is totaled at 933,000 square feet. A quick look at Wikipedia, and it says 1.8 million square feet. This is really trippin me out.

Edited by Trae

I saw this article that said the GRB is totaled at 933,000 square feet. A quick look at Wikipedia, and it says 1.8 million square feet. This is really trippin me out.

The first number is probably prior to the expansion that was done a few years back.

The Dallas Convention Center expands over S. Lamar St. and, as has been pointed out already, the KC convention center does something similar. So there's plenty of precedent.

If the GRB really needed to expand, I think they'd do one of two things if not both: build another level and/or extend a portion over Polk to the south or I guess Walker/Rusk to the north.

• 2 weeks later...
I totally agree, they could. But this would present a security risk, though.

I'm not sure I see how it would be a big security risk. Houston Center and the Pavilions both pass over streets.

My question would be: Is there any way to make GRB less ugly? The whole ship motif with the red steam vents on top is horrible in my opinion.

It practically screams "1986!" at you. I'm not a big fan of it myself, but it is getting dated enough to start coming into its own as a legitimate 1980s period piece. Re-facading buildings seems like a good idea at first, but however it is redone, it is just going to start looking dated again in a few years, and all you have accomplished is to destroy whatever architectural integrity the structure once had. Just think of all the old buildings downtown that were ruined by changing the facades during the "modernization" binge of the 1960s.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The city of Houston has put its downtown convention center hotel, the Hilton Americas-Houston, up for sale, officials announced this morning.

"We do believe there can be significant interest in this property at a very good price," said Mayor Bill White.

An offering memorandum placing the hotel on the market was issued today by CBRE/Concordis Real Estate. Hilton is the operator of the hotel, located across the street from the George R. Brown Convention Center.

White told City Council he personally would be involved in sale negotiations and that he had a "reserve price" in mind that he would not share with anyone.

"If we don't think there is adequate interest, we're not going to sell it," White said.

full article

I believe the 933,000 sqft is the total available contiguous space on the first floor and the 1.8 million is the total sqft of the building including the second and third floor meeting, ballrooms, check in areas, and convocation areas

there is no reason that GRB should not be able to expand to the north because there would still be two more streets to the north one going in each direction.....I doubt there would be any serious traffic concerns with taking out one more street

Edited by TexasVines

• 4 months later...
from channeltwonews... http://docs.newquest.com/brochures/onepark.pdf

Did we know before that the potential new convention hotel would be another Hilton? The initial article didn't mention so... link

I can't get your newquest link to open, but the envisioned new convention center hotel is only in the conceptual stage right now. I doubt that anyone has given much serious attention to what flag it might fly. In any event, I think it is HIGHLY unlikely that it would be another Hilton.

I can't get your newquest link to open, but the envisioned new convention center hotel is only in the conceptual stage right now. I doubt that anyone has given much serious attention to what flag it might fly. In any event, I think it is HIGHLY unlikely that it would be another Hilton.

It's a brochure from NewQuest advertising the OPP retail space. It gives a couple of aerial shots with labels on places of destination. In one, it has "Hilton" over the proposed convention spot. Just an observation.

It's a brochure from NewQuest advertising the OPP retail space. It gives a couple of aerial shots with labels on places of destination. In one, it has "Hilton" over the proposed convention spot. Just an observation.

In the interim, I got the link open. I see what you are talking about. I would put zero faith in that. I think the brochure designer just got a little carried away with the Hilton logo. You'll notice on the arial shot later in the brochure, they did not slap the Hilton logo, but just have "proposed 1,100 room hotel" on the site.

Or, it would be in the Hilton Brand of hotels... there's more than just the Hilton.

Embassy Suites is a Hilton brand hotel... so is Doubletree.

That said, my guess is the city will try and get a more upscale brand. My money would be on it being a Westin. Westin already has the Galleria market covered and Starwood has ZERO presence downtown (Starwood being Westin, Sheraton, W Hotels, aloft, LeMeridien, St Regis, and others...). Westin is also no stranger to large convention hotels. I could also see them trying to market some condos up top for the park views...

In the interim, I got the link open. I see what you are talking about. I would put zero faith in that. I think the brochure designer just got a little carried away with the Hilton logo. You'll notice on the arial shot later in the brochure, they did not slap the Hilton logo, but just have "proposed 1,100 room hotel" on the site.

Yeah, I don't think we should put much faith into it either. And I did notice it's only in one of the pictures. But I would think that at the least it was a semi-legitimate rumor. I'm sure NewQuest has some integrity and wouldn't have put it there unless it was a possibility. But yeah...not holding my breath.

Or, it would be in the Hilton Brand of hotels... there's more than just the Hilton.

Embassy Suites is a Hilton brand hotel... so is Doubletree.

That said, my guess is the city will try and get a more upscale brand. My money would be on it being a Westin. Westin already has the Galleria market covered and Starwood has ZERO presence downtown (Starwood being Westin, Sheraton, W Hotels, aloft, LeMeridien, St Regis, and others...). Westin is also no stranger to large convention hotels. I could also see them trying to market some condos up top for the park views...

I don't think they do convention hotels with either the Embassy Suites or the Doubletree brands (and of course, an Embassy Suites is already scheduled to start construction right there by the current Hilton).

I would think Starwood would be all over the opportunity. It's amazing to me that they have not downtown presence whatsoever. If it's Starwood, it would be either Sheraton or Westin.

Other strong possibilities are Marriott and Omni (especially if their Sheraton re-hab ends up not happening).

• 1 year later...