Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

They really chopped off that crown and to think that was one of the most striking things about the hotel, along with the Texas shaped pool area. It now looks shorter making the building as a whole appear less significant than the original rendering. Is it possible in this town to build something according to the initial rendering or does every project have to be scaled down in some fashion?

this thread is hard to find without the title "Marriott Marquis"

to me it still looks like some of the architectural features are on top, they just shortened it and changed the cage-like covering that protruded from the top on the front side.

edit. ugh, looking back on it they definitely removed some of the architectural features of the top. why does the city continue to let developers cheapen the projects around downtowns crown jewel? what happened to Embassy Suites was a crying shame.. i cant believe they are going to let the same thing happen again. at least they are still showing the texas shaped lazy river i guess. maybe the top will have some fancy lighting besides just Marriott lit up in red letters? wishful thinking..

Edited by cloud713

• 3 weeks later...

Bisnow reports that Griffin Partners will be building the new 2,000 space parking garage at the north end of the GRB that will serve both the GRB and the new Marriott Marquis Hotel.  It will have a "creative and original facade" according to the chairman of Griffin Partners, who also said that he believes retail is poised for new development and particularly sees demand for new retail downtown.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 4

Bisnow reports that Griffin Partners will be building the new 2,000 space parking garage at the north end of the GRB that will serve both the GRB and the new Marriott Marquis Hotel.  It will have a "creative and original facade" according to the chairman of Griffin Partners, who also said that he believes retail is poised for new development and particularly sees demand for new retail downtown.

Isn't this the same garage that is indicated on the Downtown Houston Development Map?

Reading the bid there is a requirement to renovate the facade of for the GRB.  Does anyone know if they HFC is planning to change the look for the convention center?

I don't think they plan to change the "look".  I think they just plan some functional changes.  Perhaps room for street level retail.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's another article by bisnow that briefly mentions the Marriot Marquis and that, "Preconstruction will last into 2014; look for groundbreaking in Q4 and a 26-month build schedule." Does that mean they will break ground this year but the Q1 construction start that has been previously mentioned is for vertical construction?

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/the-deal-sheet-hou-091013/

• Like 2

Here's another article by bisnow that briefly mentions the Marriot Marquis and that, "Preconstruction will last into 2014; look for groundbreaking in Q4 and a 26-month build schedule." Does that mean they will break ground this year but the Q1 construction start that has been previously mentioned is for vertical construction?

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/the-deal-sheet-hou-091013/

I really hope so. To me the way it was worded was awfully strange but it would be even more strange if they meant ground breaking Q4 2014. 

On a side note and I may be wrong but I seem to remember they changed the street rendering from this one. I'm going to down a shot of tequila and hope it comes out this way.

I thought there was a desire to have this finished by the next final four. Twenty-six months from Q4 sounds accurate for that timetable.

Good point.  But that will be much tighter -- if "Q4" ends up being December, that's wrapping up February 2016 with the Final Four in early April.  Get cracking, Balfour Beatty! (although I'm sure BB is saying, "Wrap it up, Morris!" and "Issue the permits, COH!!")