Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dominax

The Bank Of The Southwest Tower

80 posts in this topic

I stumbled upon this on Tumblr. Inspiration from the British Expo in Belgium (1958)?2n15bhi.jpg

2 people like this

Found the filing for this one's height in the 1982 FAA archives. 

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=247374&row=4

Off topic: That FAA database is fantastic for tracking down heights for a number of older unbuilt proposals that I had previously created for Emporis with the help of the Post's archives over the past decade, but it also raises more questions on some things. For example: Based on the coordinates tied to this proposal from the same year, there once was a 910 foot, 64 story tower planned for East Downtown at McKinney at Ennis, near a segment of the current MetroRail Purple Line that runs parallel to a section of the Columbia Tap Trail. Can't recall digging up anything on that via the Post previously... anyone?

Posted (edited)

On 8/13/2014 at 3:29 AM, democide said:

It's a beautiful tower, but I think a new design is what is needed for the next supertall.  I believe we can do much better, the only thing to keep is the height (keep it around 1400 feet).

Kohn Pederson Fox now has a slicker sleeker updated take on the same idea completed in Shenzhen last year:  600 meters even though the spire wasn't built  (so 230 meters higher than BOTSW's roof)

43cea34eacd23f8369a865fae2fbcba3.jpg

b57f9a6195557e4cf5103479c9b7548f.jpg

Edited by strickn
4 people like this

On 1/14/2017 at 7:09 PM, Montrose1100 said:

I stumbled upon this on Tumblr. Inspiration from the British Expo in Belgium (1958)?2n15bhi.jpg

As far as I can figure, that pavilion was itself just a reference to the Church of Saint Mary in Sompting, Sussex, England.  The name for that kind of roof geometry is "Rhenish helm"

11 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

Found the filing for this one's height in the 1982 FAA archives. 

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=247374&row=4

Off topic: That FAA database is fantastic for tracking down heights for a number of older unbuilt proposals that I had previously created for Emporis with the help of the Post's archives over the past decade, but it also raises more questions on some things. For example: Based on the coordinates tied to this proposal from the same year, there once was a 910 foot, 64 story tower planned for East Downtown at McKinney at Ennis, near a segment of the current MetroRail Purple Line that runs parallel to a section of the Columbia Tap Trail. Can't recall digging up anything on that via the Post previously... anyone?

That's fascinating, although I find it hard to believe there was ever a serious proposal for that location.  The first unbuilt one that springs to mind for that location is the Campeau Tower, but that would have been in south downtown.