Sign in to follow this  
Simbha

Light rail in Montrose... (Sorta)

Simbha    60

I have a friend visiting this weekend, so I was browsing About.com's list of tourist attractions in Houston (I'm not feeling very creative...). I had to rub my eyes when I came across the Montrose listing...

The description has a small picture attached. Here it is:

Montrose.jpg

(link -- Montrose is #8)

I'm all for building light rail in the city, but I'm not sure it's best to advertise its scale until construction is finished (or started).

Houston19514    2207

I have a friend visiting this weekend, so I was browsing About.com's list of tourist attractions in Houston (I'm not feeling very creative...). I had to rub my eyes when I came across the Montrose listing...

The description has a small picture attached. Here it is:

Montrose.jpg

(link -- Montrose is #8)

I'm all for building light rail in the city, but I'm not sure it's best to advertise its scale until construction is finished (or started).

LOL . . . or planned . . . or even considered.

sevfiv    1344

Yeah, exif shows one of the pictures was from 2007. Plus, the train looks like it doesn't extend beyond the tree behind it, the non-facing streetlight above it looks like it's too far away from the intersection, and it doesn't look like there's enough room for a train in the opposite direction!

ricco67    382

Yeah, exif shows one of the pictures was from 2007. Plus, the train looks like it doesn't extend beyond the tree behind it, the non-facing streetlight above it looks like it's too far away from the intersection, and it doesn't look like there's enough room for a train in the opposite direction!

Those bushes need to go, but even then, you're right, there wouldn't be enough room.

Also, the turns on westheimer would be too sharp for tracks. The only way this would work if metro does one of two things and that is either close off lower westheimer to only bikes and rail, or turn it into a subway until Weslyan. The buying of ROW there would not only be raise all sorts of hell from the area, but would be insanely expensive.

YakuzaIce    10

They also assume the trains are going to be self powered. Or more likely forgot to shop in the overhead lines. There isn't even enough room for the cars as they seem to be driving through the bushes.

Fringe    326

Those bushes need to go, but even then, you're right, there wouldn't be enough room.

Also, the turns on westheimer would be too sharp for tracks. The only way this would work if metro does one of two things and that is either close off lower westheimer to only bikes and rail, or turn it into a subway until Weslyan. The buying of ROW there would not only be raise all sorts of hell from the area, but would be insanely expensive.

You forgot "elevated". rolleyes.gif

kylejack    846

Presumably the return track would be on a different street, like how the train goes down Fannin and up San Jacinto in Museum District.