Downtown Vs. Uptown

Dominax

46 minutes ago, Reefmonkey said:

I don't understand, I have a car, and I like theatre. Pretty much everyone I know in Houston who likes theatre also has a car.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The car remark was in response to the comment about public transit.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, gmac said:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The car remark was in response to the comment about public transit.

Ah, I see. Well I think the issue of public transportation is that even if you drive into Downtown, you only have to park once, and everything in downtown is so dense you can walk around (with good, wide, continuous sidewalks), or if you want to go a little farther in downtown than you wish to walk, there are b-cycle stations, there is the light rail, which if you want to see more than just downtown can also take you all the way to the Museum District, Hermann Park, Rice Village. In Uptown, if you want to go anywhere other than the shopping center you happen to currently be in, you pretty much have to get in your car and drive there.

Both areas have plenty to crow about. I prefer downtown with the historic district, the variety of performing arts, and mix of entertainment, sports venues, restaurants,

the parks, the connection to the bayou, the connections to the rail and the bustle of downtown. The grid makes things so much easier to navigate and makes walking a lot more fun.

• 7 months later...

I’m enjoying downtown these days. The whole “Main at Main” atmosphere feels more lively. Lots of people waking around. More bars and restaurants situated for everyone.

Taking the Fannin South train sure beats the freeway traffic.  Driving seems like such a hassle compared to daily light rail trips. 

• The title was changed to Downtown Vs. Uptown

Archived