Lana Hughes And JP Pritchard Out At KTRH

Specwriter

Their early morning newscast was the only reason I still listened to KTRH.

Same here. I started listening to KTRH when I was in grade school. My parents bought a clock radio for me to wake up by but I would sleep through the music. The voices of Dewey Compton and Bill Zach did wake me however (?).

My car doesn't have satellite radio like my wife's car (Sirrius has a channel that gives Houston, Dallas, and Phoenix traffic continuously) but it does have a magazine that holds 6 CDs and weatherband radio. My afternoon drive is long enough to hear one complete CD usually. BTW, can anyone tell me why it takes only 40 minutes to drive to work in the morning but an hour plus to drive home via the same route? :wacko:

They weren't right wing enough to compete with the other wack jobs out there. I think they all know we are going to Sirrius eventually, so the AM stations are turning to political pep shows to stay in business.

They weren't right wing enough to compete with the other wack jobs out there. I think they all know we are going to Sirrius eventually, so the AM stations are turning to political pep shows to stay in business.

One of the things that drove me to XM was how 740 wasn't a news station anymore. While I could tolerate the various talking heads on the station, there are times I'm tooling around town and simply want information. XM filled that gap with the local traffic station and CNN.

That said, I get all my news and traffic information now from my Android phone now. Particularly since the XM/Sirius merger combined Dallas and Houston's traffic and weather. The only reason I keep XM now is the fact that I don't have to deal with commercials.

Am I sorry that Lana and JP are gone? Totally, but the way local radio stations are going (not just houston), I'm not at all surprised.

We have enough religious nutjobs out there. All i wanted was a brief summary of what was going on but a lot of their "news" was so last week. As long as they still have news i might tune in from time to time. For now NPR is my go to station. 88.7.

• 3 months later...

It's amazing that New York can have FOUR 24-hour news radio stations (WCBS-AM, WINS, WBBR, WEMP-FM), and Chicago can have two (WBBM, WWWN-FM), but the radio companies don't seem to think that Houston can support even one.

Heck, in Canada both Toronto and Montreal each have 24-hour traffic stations. Admittedly, those don't have to survive entirely on advertising. The cities give them partial grants as part of their congestion-reduction programs. (It's cheaper to tell people how to get around crappy roads than to build new roads.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Lana Hughes And JP Pritchard Out At KTRH

Archived