lockmat

Houston: Potential

374 posts in this topic

So funny. i was looking at all the new downtown construction threads wondering why green roofs aren't a thing here yet and then stumble across these beauties. Damn.

It's a shame all these new midrise apartment complexes aren't doing roof decks, green roofs, and floating urban pocket parks. It helps cut down so much of the heat island effect and it's  huge perk. I'd rather a roof space with downtown views than another lame pocket gym or billiards room.

5 people like this

Has this been posted?

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

Description: 
The Maker District is a collection of existing light industrial / distribution buildings intended for redevelopment as artist spaces within the emerging Washington Avenue Arts District. The conceptual master plan seeks to maintain the authentic qualities of this industrial landscape and create a clear brand identity through select interventions. The plan establishes a framework for a district that offers makers and artists the tools and inspiration to reach their potential while creating a citywide arts-based destination. The plan speaks to the markers, the creative class, to those who make the content that fuels our consumer economy. The plan envisions a mix of uses, from creative space for makers to housing, retail, entertainment, arts education, wellness and an urban farm with market. Social spaces encourage interaction, the exchange of ideas; the plan shapes key spaces, like Artist Alley, for this purpose. Through minimal expenditure the plan creates a connected campus with a clear brand identity, a campus that can be realized in a phased manner over time. The result is a cohesive, smart, functional and affordable arts-based district.

Role: Conceptual Master Planning

Clients: The Deal Companies, Western General, Lovett Commercial

Collaborators: Studio Red Architects

Date Complete: 2015

Area: 36 acres (14.57 hectares)

http://www.terrain-studio.com/projects/the-maker-disctrict

3 people like this

Does it look like a golf course with buildings in it to anyone else?  Just me?

3 people like this

25 minutes ago, lockmat said:

Any chance this building is for Houston? This article is about HOK moving spaces from the Williams tower to the Phoenix tower.

The design team of HOK's Houston workspace used robust strategies to improve the indoor environmental quality and to minimize exposure to particulates, biological contaminants and chemical pollutants. Low-emitting materials were used for all adhesives and sealants, paints and coatings, flooring systems, composite wood and agrifiber products, and systems furniture and seating.

http://www.hok.com/about/news/2016/05/09/hoks-leed-platinum-houston-office-supports-integrated-design-in-high-performance-space/

natural.jpg?1457118024

It's not for Houston, its a project in Saudi Arabia called the Capital Market Authority Headquarters. 

1 person likes this

Darn! Thanks!!

Oh, I keep conflating the futuristic  "Baylor St. Luke's Campus Expansion" in going up and this structure. What are they and how are they different? 

On 10/15/2016 at 4:42 PM, EllenOlenska said:

I see that this is the phase II; I guess the double helix is phase III. 

The double helix is not Baylor St Lukes.  That is a Texas Medical Center project.

Edited by Houston19514
1 person likes this

It looks like Greenway plaza

1 person likes this

29 minutes ago, cspwal said:

It looks like Greenway plaza

I thought it was.

I really like that. 

http://offcite.org/the-buildings-of-the-texas-medical-center-through-the-years/

shamrock_rendering_resized.jpg

The wildcatter Glen McCarthy’s Shamrock Hotel and Community Center were designed by Wyatt C Hedrick (1949, demolished) and originally planned with a shopping center, ice rink, and highrise apartments. The hotel was demolished in 1986 amid great protest. The epic movie Giant, featuring Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson, and James Dean, immortalized McCarthy’s excess.

arqitectonica_elevation.jpg

arqitectonica_plan.jpg

The 1980s also saw a few interesting projects. The most intriguing was Arquitectonica’s brash, postmodern design for the International Medical Complex Building (1982, not built). It was to have been built at Main Street and Old Main Street one block north of Holcombe Boulevard. The International Medical Complex was to have a six-story base containing a shopping mall on the ground level with a parking garage above it. On top of the garage were to be two, sculptural freestanding towers, one containing a hotel and the other medical offices. It was proposed in 1982 and, needless to say, the real estate crash in Houston that followed almost immediately killed plans for its construction.

I had never seen the Arquitectonia proposal before.  It is a shame that was never built.